Seafood sold on line may be Toxic.

Vague ?

The article mentions on line but stops short of naming the site or brand ? Not that I would purchase seafood on-line , but for those consumers who do and for the sake of our provinces seafood industry , you would think that they would provide more detail .

Vancouver– The BC Centre for Disease Control is warning the public not to consume various shellfish and seafood products from a private distributor in Port Hardy because of the risk of paralytic shellfish poisoning and botulism.
Products sold include:
Frozen clams (butter clams and possibly others) in small and large Ziploc bags
Jarred clams (butter clams and possibly others) in 500 ml and 1000ml jars
Frozen BBQ salmon
Canned salmon pieces in clam juice
Other similar products may have also been distributed
The products were for sale online and through a Buy and Sell ad on www.buyselltrade.ca but may have also been distributed through other mechanisms. There is no identifying packaging or product code on these items. These products may have been distributed throughout the province. To date we are not aware of the products being made available through retail or restaurants.
Anyone who may have purchased these products should not consume them, and discard them. Cooking will not destroy the toxins associated with paralytic shellfish poisoning or botulism.
The symptoms of paralytic shellfish poisoning include: tingling; numbness, spreading from lips and mouth to face, neck and extremities; dizziness; arm and leg weakness; paralysis; respiratory failure; and possibly death. Symptoms start quickly, within 30 minutes to 3 hours. The progression and intensity of the symptoms will vary.

More here
http://www.bccdc.ca/resourcemateria...from+Port+Hardy+distributor+unsafe+to+eat.htm

they were sold in ziploc bags and containers it almost sounds like a poacher selling his stuff no name or company no packaging sounds suspicious.

they were sold in ziploc bags and containers it almost sounds like a poacher selling his stuff no name or company no packaging sounds suspicious.

It is indeed very suspicious. It makes me wonder why the press is giving this one such little coverage and why they and the authorities are being so vague. I suspect that will change if someone dies or if charges are laid. If charges are not laid, that in itself would be suspicious. This of course would not be the first time that BC fish and seafood have been harvested/processed or sold in questionable circumstances (backyard freezers and roadside pickup truck sales come to mind). Port Hardy is a small community and someone must have the skinny on this one.

I don't have anything against folks trying to make a few extra bucks by selling legally harvested seafood products as long as they're safe for human consumption.You can expect more of these tainted food products to make it to unsuspecting consumers, unsafe handling practices, Goverment food inspection and DFO cutbacks will make it easier for unscrupulous people to sell tainted seafood products.

Canned salmon pieces in CLAM JUICE???? I haven't even gotten the package opened yet but I'm already crawling towards the crapper with Montezuma's Revenge. Sounds revolting without the toxins....

Back