Sea Sicness-What It Looks Like

Chasin' Dreams

Disclaimer: These images contain swearing, show pain, and if you watch it, may cause vomiting, feelings of discomfort, flashbacks of times where this has happened to you. You may not want to watch if you are eating. Turn the volume up. Viewer discretion is advised! :D

Recently I took one of my good buddies on a fishing trip. He does on occasion get sea sick if in nasty waves but handles less rough ocean conditions pretty well. So he bought himself the Scopolamine patches (that he normally uses if fishing in rough conditions). BUT he forgot (or was trying to see if he could go without using it) to put it on his neck the night before heading out fishing the next day.

As we headed out to fish on our first day of arriving to the fishing grounds I could see the tell tale look on his face of discomfort as we pushed our way through some rough waters. As soon as I saw some sweat beads build up on his forehead I knew this was not going to go well very soon. I said to him "hey buddy you aren't looking too good, you want me to head back in?" I knew his ego wouldn't let him say yes to that until he actually got real sick. You know, it's that 'be a man' stigma thing lol. So he said "no I think I'll be alright once we stop and start to fish". I knew very well that no that won't be the case and that he will get worse once we stop to fish. But he insisted so I carry on. I did so cause I knew he had to hit rock bottom before he would admit he needed to go in. We got to the fishing grounds and I set out the lines. I said "stay inside for a bit bud and see if you start to feel better." I gave him some water cause I knew if he ran out of stomach contents quickly that the bile and stomach contractions will hurt more if he can't puke anything out. I insisted that he drink a lot of it and that even while puking he should drink more. As I started trolling the puking started. And of course it got worse. And worse. It sounded very painful. He insisted that I don't stop fishing. It was that big ego that was in full force lol. He just wouldn't give up. Well I knew that if this continued much longer he would be in too much pain and in too rough shape to fish the next day so I said no enough is enough we are going in. I pulled up the lines and headed in.

So our first day fishing lasted about 15 minutes then I headed in. He knew it was the right choice and thanked me when we got back to the lodge where he recuperated and re hydrated. I knew he had bought the patches before the trip and said to him "I know you wanted to see if you could go without using them but F'ing put one on now!" He grinned and said, "no, I just forgot". No he didn't lol. And he went and put one on.

So to keep a long story long... If you think you may be susceptible to sea sickness use the medicine's out there meant to help with it!! It will not only give you more time to fish, keep you from being in great discomfort, but will also not have a negative impact on the others you are fishing with. :D

That sucks man feel bad for ya when you travel from mainland over to wcvi to fish..... that’s 1 expensive day gone lol
Ya I know man. I was a little upset I'm not gonna sugar coat it and he knew that. But I know if the tables were turned he would grin and bare it like I did. We are real close friends that have done a lot for each other over the years so that plays a big part in it too.

Awesome post Chasin' Dreams.

Your a good friend??? Ha ah You gave him some get sicker advice?? "stay inside", history and days and days hurling tells me go outside, look at the horizon and get the wind in your face. Apple juice is way better than water= same taste coming up as going down, even sprayed from nose not too bad. I have seen the toughest badass turn to jello/whimp/baby when very ill.

Thanks for this, outstanding. Brings back many, many, many days hurling in a gash bag, bucket, 100 oz can around my neck or over the rail. Of course while all your buddies/ship mates watch and heckle.

HM

Awesome post Chasin' Dreams.

Your a good friend??? Ha ah You gave him some get sicker advice?? "stay inside", history and days and days hurling tells me go outside, look at the horizon and get the wind in your face. Apple juice is way better than water= same taste coming up as going down, even sprayed from nose not too bad. I have seen the toughest badass turn to jello/whimp/baby when very ill.

Thanks for this, outstanding. Brings back many, many, many days hurling in a gash bag, bucket, 100 oz can around my neck or over the rail. Of course while all your buddies/ship mates watch and heckle.

HM

Lol apple juice ya right. At $3 per liter to puke up. I don't think so. Giving the sick person water has nothing to do with making the bile taste better. It has everything to do with giving the person something to throw up when they run out of stomach contents. Once they run out of stomach contents their stomachs will contract very hard, long, and painfully. In severe cases the stomach can cramp and not release causing very severe continued pain. It's a first aid response to sea sickness. And no matter how much sugar you put into bile it will still taste like bile. But if you want to puke up apple juice, you have at er'.

And yes I would consider myself a good friend when I am looking out for the health/well being of my clients, friends, family while on my boat. If I were to tell a very sick, dizzy, sweating, frustrated person to go out onto a wet, slippery, all metal fish deck while bucking through rough water so he could "look into the horizon" and "get wind in his face" with hopes that would miraculously cure him then I would not only be in the wrong but I would also be legally liable if something happened to him while doing so. The safest place for a person in this condition is sitting still in an air ride seat, with a wide open window next to him.
The only cure for a person this far into sea sickness is to get him/her off of the rough water conditions. The longer it goes on, the more pain and the worse the person will feel the following days.

Lol apple juice ya right. At $3 per liter to puke up. I don't think so. Giving the sick person water has nothing to do with making the bile taste better. It has everything to do with giving the person something to throw up when they run out of stomach contents. Once they run out of stomach contents their stomachs will contract very hard, long, and painfully. In severe cases the stomach can cramp and not release causing very severe continued pain. It's a first aid response to sea sickness. And no matter how much sugar you put into bile it will still taste like bile. But if you want to puke up apple juice, you have at er'.

And yes I would consider myself a good friend when I am looking out for the health/well being of my clients, friends, family while on my boat. If I were to tell a very sick, dizzy, sweating, frustrated person to go out onto a wet, slippery, all metal fish deck while bucking through rough water so he could "look into the horizon" and "get wind in his face" with hopes that would miraculously cure him then I would not only be in the wrong but I would also be legally liable if something happened to him while doing so. The safest place for a person in this condition is sitting still in an air ride seat, with a wide open window next to him.
The only cure for a person this far into sea sickness is to get him/her off of the rough water conditions. The longer it goes on, the more pain and the worse the person will feel the following days.

Correct on small boats, have both my CTAC and AFA, was only chuckin ****, never meant to imply you hazard the safety of your clients, guests or buddies. Mine and most people I have seen (1000's) sea sick occurred on 400ft and bigger vessels, I am lucky and don't get sick on small fishing vessels, when someone gets sick fishing with me its almost always back to shore. Fishing is supposed to be fun and most don't think the fun is still in it when barfing. Hiding behind the missiles was considered the "sicky place", yes I spent some time there. The stomach cramps and upchucking blood is bad, was never concerned about apple juice costs, just know taste is same up and down and allows stomach something to throw up so the cramps and bile stay away. We had 2 positive cures for sea sickness, could not get 1000+km to land. First was a needle, second was worse?????? Suppository.

Its the worst sickness I can think of.

HM

Back