sea sickness

Nobody likes to get sick on a fishing trip nor does anyone like to see someone get sick. Such a sight can start a chain reaction. Anyhow, over the years I have seen 2 different types of pukers.

Type 1: This is the guy who while not feeling well and throwing up will take it for the team and even have a beer or two for a laugh. The fishing trip continues.

Type2: This person will be quiet at first, not very chatty and having the odd yawn while the symptoms build. Denial of symptoms is common. Once the guts get chucked then the real clear indicators of Type2 sea sickness appear. Basically they will do anything to get the boat back to the dock ASAP! Offering money, threatening violence is not unheard of.

I always say to the puker when they are done pukin " well, one good thing is that's the first hot meal those seagulls have had in weeks". Usually good for a laugh.

Type 1's are the best. My son is like that. Puke and rally is his battle call!!! Once we get into some fish he usually perks right up and is fine for the rest of the trip. It's the run out that kills him. I'm looking into other drugs for him because gravol makes it worse for him.

There is a type 3. The person that won't puke or doesn't puke and just sits there moaning and wining the whole time.

Nobody likes to get sick on a fishing trip nor does anyone like to see someone get sick. Such a sight can start a chain reaction. Anyhow, over the years I have seen 2 different types of pukers.

Type 1: This is the guy who while not feeling well and throwing up will take it for the team and even have a beer or two for a laugh. The fishing trip continues.

Type2: This person will be quiet at first, not very chatty and having the odd yawn while the symptoms build. Denial of symptoms is common. Once the guts get chucked then the real clear indicators of Type2 sea sickness appear. Basically they will do anything to get the boat back to the dock ASAP! Offering money, threatening violence is not unheard of.

I always say to the puker when they are done pukin " well, one good thing is that's the first hot meal those seagulls have had in weeks". Usually good for a laugh.

Ha, that's good. A buddy of mine is an offshore guide, figures someone chucks on about 30% of charters. He talked about big burly tough guys crying like babies, begging to go back.

I've been out there with buddies sick as dogs, and to a man, they all toughed it out. I've been there and I can really appreciate it ... because it feels like you are going to die, and all you can think about it is wanting to feel better again. Ugh.

It's part of the reason I don't try very hard to get my wife or daughters offshore. They are prone to car sickness, so pretty sure seasickness would follow. I'd hate to see them go through it, and I don't think I'd be able to tell to "man up" and wait it out....we'd be heading back quick. ;-)

I think its safe to say that if a person is prone to car sickness the off shore is a no go, even with meds, even on the calmest of calm days. What we call flat is not flat flat.

It is not a nice thing. I carried a man to the hospital once. Pretty sure there was purging on both ends of that fella. We drove 7 miles out and I put one side down and then i was just waiting. My buddy asks me if I am going to put the other side down. I just shook my head, no. Sure enough we were on our way back 3 minutes later.

Prescription drug: scopace

It is the tablet form of the scopalomine patch. I haven't noticed any side effects. Works on people who say they throw up just thinking about going out in the ocean. Unlike the patch you can take two tablets if one isn't doing it for you. The patch tends to over medicate and then gives side effects.

LOL Thats funny! I'm a type one. I just have to get it out. I keep orange gatorade on the boat for throat lubercation. I get on a 20 minute cycle. The bonamine works good but i always have a afternoon nap when we get back.

You can get Bonemine at the compounding drug store on Helmcken and Old Island Hwy. Great stuff!

Picked some up from this store the other day. I have only been sick once when I was by Carmanah Point anchored up. I figured it's not a bad idea to have this stuff if I do plan on heading out of renfrew and there is some decent swell out there. Nothing worse than being messy sick on a boat and not able to get off. Thanks for sharing the location to buy these.

If drugs are not available laying down works. Get the person who is feeling bad to get completely horizontal. It will make them feel better while they stay laying down. I know it seems strange and goes against the watch the horizon advice but I have seen this work many times and it has worked for me.

Cheers

funny puker stories for shire,, my favourites are the tough guy cop from sask pukin his brains out from the kennedy lake road while on route.. then the next two days pukin from the floating lodge,, the most he could stand was pill pt for about 1.4 hrs in the early a.m.,, he had a great trip!!

next was the tough cowboys from alta,, well edmonton,, brought out a concoction called beasars, well and swell two beazers in and in it was puke time and black hawk down,,,, type two take me in..LOL

When I lived in the Yukon, I fished out of Haines, Alaska. Probably over 100 days on the chuck with no sea sickness even when the water got rough. Last year, I was fishing with my wife's cousin about 10 miles out of Nootka Sound. I swear the swells were at least 15-20 feet. Didn't take long and I was turning green. Thank god he had Gravol on board or it woulda got ugly fast. It's tops on my list when we head back there next month.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

FYI. Just picked up some Bonamine yesterday at Victoria Compounding at Fort and Cook. They keep it in stock.

is there any other place I could get it in lower main land,
I used that long time ago and it was the best , I am using the patch since but has some side affect and I would not mind to use the pill again .

A few years back while reading a science magazine (what a geek eh?) there was a detailed article about motion sickness.
Turns out scientists had just figured out the mechanism for motion sickness, I was HIGHLY interested as had just returned from a trip gone bad due to partner barfing and then being Type 2 (see above).
There are 2 primary systems in your body for letting your brain know your body's orientation in 3D space, #1 is your vestibular apparatus (inner ear, the part not involved in hearing - look this up if you don't know about it, it is very cool), and #2 is your eyes. There are other minor systems too, but don't play anywhere near the roles that these 2 do.
Motion sickness is the result of your inner ear sending your brain one signal (that the body is rolling all over the place) while your eyes are sending conflicting information (that the body is staying perfectly still).
This explains why you won't get sick if you look out of the boat most of the time (the eyes are agreeing with the ears that things are rolling) but you will get sick if you look at the floor (eyes think things aren't moving but ears know otherwise). It also explains why laying down and closing your eyes can help (now the eyes aren't disagreeing with the ears).
It takes a bit of practice to keep your head up and looking out, but works like a hot damn.
Now, if I can only figure out how to tie gear up in swells and NOT look down LOL!
Best wishes everyone.
Smiley.

I agree with what Smiley says-as a former military pilot-I have done airshows and the centrafuge and physically that is all correct. The more you do it the more you can tolerate. That being said there is a point in time for some people that no amount of trickery will forestall"a very bad experience" If you have someone on the boat who is starting to get a little queesy-make them look at the horizon. Don't let them bait their own halibut hook or take a fish off the hook. Usually they are fine if they stick to catching and netting-no going in the cabin unless to sleep and no greasy bacon stories. If he has already honked then,gravol or meclazine will not help-a patch might. If he hasn't honked get one of those tablets into him with lots of water. They usually take 1/2 hour to get into the system-if he can hold it down he might improve. The longer you keep them out while sick the longer it takes to recover. Best antidote is pills ,patch, injection-BEFORE going seaward. I always take either gravol or meclazine well before seeing if" I might need it" Then it's too late!!!

Aye......"greasy bacon", a world -class hangover and sucking in the down-wind fumes from a two-stroke kicker, all at the same time.....I'll hurl whether there's rollers or not.

is there any other place I could get it in lower main land,
I used that long time ago and it was the best , I am using the patch since but has some side affect and I would not mind to use the pill again .

Try a compounding pharmacy. That's your best bet. If they don't have it ready to go, they should have the ingredients to make you up some.

I always keep ginger snap cookies on board they seem to work if snacked on while out boating, I heard about them 20 yrs ago when my kids were small and prone to seasickness, keeps the stomach calm and doesn't make you sleepy even my land friendly buddies have had them while out fishing they seem to work for anybody I've had out.

The patch does work to control sea sickness, but the side effects can be pretty scary.

The first couple of times I used it, the only thing I felt was a hint of dizziness when waking up in the morning, but then I would be fine for the rest of the day.

Last year I started to get severely blurred vision - no problem seeing stuff at a distance, but reading or tying gear would be impossible. Next thing I would have a hard time finding words when speaking, and my speech would tend to get slurred at times.

It took a couple of days to get rid of the effects, even after removing the patch.

I am not the only one experiencing side effects - talked to a lady at the Island West campground last year that was taken to the doctor when she got so blind that she could not get around on her own.

You are right about the patches effects-my daughter was with me on a cruise a few weeks ago insisted on the patch-she had it on for a week and by day 3 she was into blurred vision etc. I had the same problem but mine was due to GlenMorangie.

My cousin gets sea sick off and on for the first few days of the fishing trip. I guess to get us back or whatever his plan is, he likes to sneak up to the front of the boat pretending that he is fishing, and takes a quick **** off the bow. He is very sneaky and fast about it, so all of a sudden with no warning, you see it floating by the side of the boat! Well my one buddy in particular (DV-ent) never gets sea sick even in the worst conditions. But he has a zero tolerance for that, even just talking about it makes him gag. It completely ruins him, gags and pukes for about 10 minutes, never completely recovers, and just isn't himself for the rest of the day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back