Sea Sickness

C

Country Boy

I would like to hear everybody's tips or tricks for dealing with Sea Sickness ( aka motion sickness). An I'm also aware that some people are very immune to it. While others are immune on the water but, as soon as they hit dry land they loose there land legs. I've got a buddy like that. I've tried certain things to a varying degree of success with dealing with it. The wristbands worked in Tahsis for me but, when I tried them out in front of alberni inlet and litlle ways past the green marker. No such luck, green I's be and in a hurry I might add. I think it was under twenty minutes too. Boat size might have something to do with it too.

Old Indian trick.... Sea Foam.. Take back as much as you can and you will never be seasick again...or so I've been told.

Sea foam...............I'ld rather be sick I think..
Ginger.
Ginger ale, Ginger snap cookies, Ginger sticks.

I was hesitant to try it but it worked for me. My buddy brought some candied Ginger, worked right away and I won the battle that was winning me over at Swiftsure one time. I have yet to puke, but sometimes, lately for some reason I need to eat some of that stuff when I go offshore.

I am very prone to seasickness n the west coast and not being able to handle it will ruin the whole trip. I have no problem in the straight, but the combination of rollers and random chop will do me in.

Wristbands, gravol, ginger - none of this worked for me but there is one thing that does work and it works all the time - the scopalimine patch. This is a little patch that you wear behind your ear and it works for three days. It is 100% effective - I've never even been quesy when on it.

Be warned that it does have some side effects - mostly some drowsiness and a dry mouth. Small potatos compared to hanging over the side of the boat for three days.

You don't need a prescription for it, but you do have to ask the pharmacist for it.

Good luck!

I can't walk backwards without getting sick.

No Name brand sea sick pills. One in the morning and good all day for the worst conditions imaginable (West Coast rollers).

I have a pack of those ear patches in my boat. The problem for me is that it means no brewskies at the camp when we get back and that is too much for me. You have to take them the night before, ideally, and no alcohol.[:0][:0] It's good for someone that is guaranteed to get sick, I am not there.

I am lucky that i never get sea sick execpt for once long time ago. I do watch what i eat though and no excess drinking the night before. Sea sickness is largely the conflicting input your body gets as to where you are in space. Your inner ear has a little ball floating around in a fluid sac and as the ball moves and touches the little sensors on the inside of the sac, feedback is sent to your brain as to your position in space and movement. You also get information visually from your eyes with the relation to the foreground and background. If your on deck, or worse below deck, your brain sees your movement in tandem with the boat, it thinks your not moving about but this conflicts with your inner ear that senses your movement. A conflict arises and this adds / creates sea sickness. That is why they say always look at the horizon as your vision will tell your brain that your are moving back and forth in relation to the horizon and this will jive with the info your inner ear is sending.

The more your on the water, the more your brain gets use of the conflicting info and can accomdate it better with out making you sick. Recognising this and focusing on the horizon can go a long ways to help.

Ya i've heard the horizon things works, but what to do if its foggy. My son who has never been seasick in his life (10) now with 3 yrs on the west coast, was sick as a dog the last time we went offshore. He was fine for the first while, then the fog rolled in, and he got sick. I supposed it was beacues he couldn't see the horizon, just the next swell.

My lab X Pitbull gets seasick in rough weather, so I only take her out on calm days. SHe filled the bottom of the boat with puke twice last year[xx(][xx(][xx(].
I've heard people giving their pets gravol.......hmmmmmm[:p]

You need large doses of ginger to be effective. Scopolamine (Transderm V) patches work well, you need a prescription for them. Dimenhydrinate (Gravol) works OK for most people. For gravol to work well you need to take the first dose approx 40 min before symptoms if possible. You need to apply the scopolamine patch well in advance of the boating trip for the drug to release from the patch and enter the blood stream through the skin (i.e. several hours). I also think as you spend more time on the water motion sickness diminishes.

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

Hey Hurston,make sure its the kiddy graval for the pooch.I use it for my garden sharks when we go on road trips or boat rides.
Thanx C.S..... I guess just give her them according to her weight.
She absolutley loves going everywhere with me[:I]

dunno I'm not bothered at all
except I don't go below decks for any time get a little quezy if I do that

I grew up with west coast type seas so not problem
guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

I'm one who gets seasick fairly easily. Really limits our fishing, I'll tell you. I have found the patches behind the ear to work the best. You don't need a prescription, just ask the pharmacist. Put one on the night before, and forget it. I'm not a drinker so that's not an issue, but our last trip, everyone wore them, and all the others were drinking after we got back, with no ill effects.

I have tried the wrist bands, they were so uncomfortable, I had to take them off, I guess you can't think about being seasick, because you can only think about getting blood into your hands.

Gravol makes me need to take a nap on the boat. Of course, I awaken when I catch a fish! But it takes some of the fun out if it to be so groggy.

I have never tried the ginger, but I will probably have some with me from now on. :D

As flakey as it sounds, the ginger worked for me and it really did not take a lot. I ate some when I started feeling that I was losing the battle, and it worked. My fishing buddy is a sailing dude and brought it on the trip, now I keep a bit on the boat..

Did you guys see the episode on MythBusters about motion sickness??

One of those two dorks (Adam highly susceptable to motion sickness) got on a some kind of mechanical bull to test out different remedies...funny as hell... as a control they had him on the mech-bull w/o anything and it took only a couple of minutes and he was blowing chunks.

They then proceeded through all the common over the counter stuff and I think the best he could do was around 20-25 minutes... that is, until they gave him ginger capsules, over two hours and he could have kept going longer.

Here's the episode summary:

Seasickness: Kill or Cure
The MythBusters tested various seasickness cures. They wanted to see if any non-pharmaceutical, no-side-effect remedy would work.

Motion sickness is caused by your brain being unable to process conflicting signals from your sense: your eyes tell you that your surroundings are still, but your inner ear and your fine muscle controls are telling you that things are moving.

Test setup
They built a chair modelled after NASA's seasick chair. The chair spun around at 7 rpm while the person in the chair was ordered to move their head to touch tennis balls positioned in front, behind, and to the sides.

Finding the test subject
They had to figure out who in the MythBusters crew was susceptible to seasickness. Adam was a sure bet because of previous seasickness during the Jaws Special. Sure enough, Adam got quesy within 3 and half minutes on the chair. After a half an hour in the chair, Jamie was still fine. Kari and Tory were both fine as well. Grant became the final test subject. He lasted longer than Adam, but he got sick as well.

Remedy Testing
Homoepathic tongue tingler. They used a unnamed spray that you squirt under the tongue as often as needed. Grant was sick within 10 minutes and vomited some small chunks. Adam was sick within 4 minutes.
Wrist straps:They wore little gray wristbands that are 'Barry Manilow's choice.' Adam was sick within 90 seconds. Grant got sick as well. They've gotten pretty quick with bringing a bucket to Grant.
*Ginger pills: It worked! Adam and Grant were both fine.
Small shocks on the P6 Accupunture point (on the wrist): Both Adam and Grant got sick.
Placebo: They told Grant and Adam they were getting an over-the-counter pharmaceutical remedy, but they actually gave them vitamins. Adam's reponse: "I hate this [bleeping] chair" after three and a half minutes. Grant: "This is among the most effective, if not the most effective."
Over-the-counter pharmaceutical drug: Worked on Adam and Grant, but it made them both a little loopy.
Only thing that worked without any side effects was the ginger pill.

Ginger pills: plausible

I can't believe nobody has mentioned a pill called Bonamine. Similar to gravol but way more effective IMO and I find no side effects of drowsiness. I have a relatively high suseptibility to sea sickness, particularily associated with ground swells. I have been offshore a dozen times in the past couple of years and with two bonamine pills taken the night before, have never had a problem. I highly recommend it.

http://www.pfizer.ca/english/our pr...on sickness/bonamine/BONAMINE/default.asp?s=1

Below is some more info. North Island is correct, you don't need a prescription for the Transderm V patches (behind the counter at the drug store).

Bonamin (meclizine) is comparable to dimenhydrinate in the treatment of motion sickness. The incidence of drowsiness appears to be greater with dimenhydrinate. The duration of action of meclizine is longer than that of dimenhydrinate and other antihistamines used for motion sickness, which may be an advantage.

In a study involving 140 subjects, transdermally administered scopolamine (Transderm V) at a rate of 10 mcg/hour was more effective than oral dimenhydrinate (50 mg) at the prevention of motion sickness at sea. Transdermal scopolamine afforded 62% protection against motion sickness as compared to 49% protection with dimenhydrinate.

I know you will think this a joke, but i use on everybody on my boat, and it has worked very well on 90% of the passengers. A gob of mentholatum in the navel. I'm serious, it works, just don't ask me why. Some I now use it on always get sick, but not now. Placebo?

Back