Scotty Trap Puller

High Time

Crew Member
Further to my earlier post on anchoring a prawn line,was wondering what info you might have on how much weight the Scotty will pull and the weight and type of anchor you use. Wondering if a concrete block might do the job on a rocky bottom? They come in different shapes a sizes??

I'd love to hear reviews on the scotty prawn puller as well from people who has used them. I have the ace line hauler and it's a struggle to pull by traps/weights, especially if the tide/waves are a factor. Is the scotty one any better? worse? same? thx

Talked with a buddy who works retail when I was shopping. They are both good units. Pull strength is roughly the same you wont notice a great difference one to the other. The Scotty is more compact and stores nicely. Service from both companies is great, as well as their warrantys.
But you will find both labor if your pulling in a nice swell or heavy current.

I didn't buy one yet though because this is the puller of my dreams...a little commercial but I love me some overkill.. Starting just above a thou$and buckaroos.

http://www.electra-dyne.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
3500 lbs?? what ya pulling kingcrab pots??... 002.jpgI think all of them have good points, the Scotty is small n stows easily, the Ace has an optional hands free option that is awesome and I would totally recommend buying if you get the Ace, this Boss hauler I was lookin at today says it will pull 1-4 traps and is a little more heavy duty built I think but at 800 bucks your payin for it... Need a pretty beefy boat to need the one FB is talkin bout...:p

I have an ace and it works great. Personally I don't want the hands free option as I like to lay my rope into bucket. The Scotty is probably a great product but the boom is too short. Your pulling traps into the side of your boat. Don't get me wrong, Scotty makes a great product but I think the ace is the $hit in this department

I have used Ace for years and they pull ok. Service is second to none and warranty not an issue. But, it always seemed to let me done when I needed it most. To the point I bought spare motor and finally a spare puller. Sometimes it was just the cheep 2 dollar switch they use.
Now I've used a Scotty for over a year and will never look back. I don't find the boom to short and they have added a swivel upgrade to the pulley on the end of the boom.
I'm sure the Scotty has a good warranty as well but haven't needed to find out!

Cool. I'll have to check out the swivel. Bod, you never find your pulling traps into your boat? My traps are bigger in radius than boom so they would run into boat first.

I have a Scotty. I stop the puller when the clip hits the pulley traps don't hit the boat because they hang down. Great product probably bought too soon if they have a swivel on them now.

Can't speak to the weight ability pulls three traps or my halibut anchor fine. I don't add much extra weight to my prawn strings.

Most times pulling with the wind or tide the traps are away from the boat anyway. But like GDW said if you stop the puller when the snap comes up the traps shouldn't have hit the boat. Check with Scotty or where you bought it, I would bet they up grade your boom for free.

I think you can have up to 4 traps per line doger5, as long as you have a float at both ends of the string.

I dunno, with my ace I can haul traps out without worrying about hitting boat. I like that. To each their own though. I'm sure the Scotty is a great product, I just prefer the ease of the ace

Only two prawn traps per single line is legal in B.C
From DFO
The maximum number of shrimp and prawn traps that may be fished by any individual is four traps.
A maximum of four traps may be fished on a single bottom line (ground line).

If three or more traps are set together on a single ground line, then a floating tag or buoy is required at either end of the ground line.

Apparently the warranty on the motor of the Scotty puller is only for a year, too much potential for abuse. That could lead to the some disappointment compared to the lifetime warranty of Ace. Sure does store in a cuddy nice though.

The Ace puller has a new bag coming out that will work if you added the hands free option, bag will be ready in 3 weeks I was told and anyone who purchased the original bag that did not accommodate the hands free can exchange for the new bag free of charge. still fits in the cuddy nice to I think.

Apparently the warranty on the motor of the Scotty puller is only for a year, too much potential for abuse. That could lead to the some disappointment compared to the lifetime warranty of Ace. Sure does store in a cuddy nice though.

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/LinePuller.htm

Actually it looks like it is a two year warranty. Had they gone with the lifetime warranty as with their Riggers, they would in my view be making a lot more sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im now into year 5 on the Ace , ZERO issues , ridiculous hours on them , year round pounding ,
frequent hook ups in the rocks , winding the crap out of of er , stallin the motor out at times lol , been an absolute tank for me
i keep care of my gear , rinse them in fresh daily , unit still looks in great shape..
I oversized my electrical cables , really helps keep that current flowin when needed

i have Not used the Scotty personally , Sounds like they are also a Great puller from Bods post ,,,
2 Awesome local company's , that treat there customers like gold !!
theve both been un real with keepin my gear runnin year round , no questions asked..

sorry , i dont use the fancy pants auto coiler , not needed..
little excersize for me is a good thing..

my experience !! m2b

fd

Back