Scotty Plugin Replacements Looking For Ideas

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Ok I've had it with the new Scotty plugs and want to switch them out. May even considered going back to the old style one. As they lock the cabled down which keeps the wires from pulling their ways out.

The tin connections are just not strong enough to hold/lock the wires down properly. Tighten them as much as you like all your doing in bending the guts of the unit....

Could solder the connections I guess.....

Any ideas...

I was thinking about trying something like this.... http://www.lockingpowercords.com/category/41-watertight-connectors.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Marinco makes some they come with a rubber sleeve that slips over wire and gives the bend something to sit on. Cant believe scotty didnt incorporate this I used some of that two sides emergency tape seems to be holding up.

I have a spare scotty new style plug with rubber boot and l bracket, I never had any problems with them, a soldered conection is the best electrical connection you can get but you make a mess out of one of these scotty plugs trying to do that, the newstyle twist in plugs are a step up from the old style pin connections that get loose and sometimes are not making contact when you need them :)

what im getting at is at 40$ for a plug n bracket now.., why would you wanna spend more $$$ have you ever had one fail? for you bud $20.. one time offer..023.jpg

Jeff that is what I have and I am trying to replace...... I hate them. There's about 11 different parts to that unit and three of them suck and one thing in my mind is completely missing. I will disassemble and attempt to solder. I will post pictures.

My old-style ones failed the other day on my first day out. I'm sure there are any number of Weatherpak connections that could be used. Maybe Harbour Freight in the states has something. I'm going to look into it.

the only thing I hate about them is they are a ***** to plug in up under the rails at the back ... mine have not failed yet..but I always have plan B for worst case scenario024.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that the wiring is fused for 30 amps. So whatever plug you convert to needs to be able to handle 30 amps DC. I think 8 gauge wire is suitable. So the connectors need to be sized for 8 gauge wire and rated for 30 amps. I haven't found any waterproof ones that won't melt my credit card yet. Still looking.

I like the Scotty connectors.My second hand riggers came with the old style plugs, took a bit to figgure out why they would just quit working, but after changing out to the newer style, my problems have dissapeared.
You are correct in that they are not easy to line up, but a couple of dabs of paint allow easy alignment. I used plenty of dilectric grease in initial assembly and the connections have remained bright with no corrosion. I have an open boat and one of the connections is exposed to the environment, so far (5 years) with no problems.
Alot of the weatherpack and the like connectors are not rated for 30 amps and won't take 12 ga let alone 10 gauge wire.
There are some good ones out there (duraline) but they are dear.

My new plugs have worked flawlessly but I did just help a buddy instal his and it was tough to get the wires in firm. There is an issue but you clearly have solved it perfectly. Slather that with EG and its perfect.

Back