Diesel heater installation in a Grady white 232, (looking for mounting location options/ideas)

sparrow139

Hi

has anyone put a deisel heater in a grady 232 or similar>? looking for pics and ideas for locations.

i have a planar 2d heater on order. lots to consider for mounting including intake and exhaust of combustion air, fuel tank placement as well as minimum clearance for the heater ports and exhaust. i think it will be a challenge to mount properly as i dont want it to look hacky but want it to be installed correctly and not burn the boat down.

I am in the same camp. 25’ Grady.

I recently started this thread: https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...f-your-tidy-diesel-heater-installation.89262/

I just received all the parts I ordered.

It will be located port side of the boat, in the cavity to the left of where someone sitting in the passenger seat would have their legs. Tucked in down there, along with the fuel tank (5 litre rectangular tank). Exhaust thru hull will come out the port side just a few feet further back. Ducting will go through the cabin bulkhead into the cabin, and will have vents blowing up at the windshield. Can’t wait to have condensation free windows…. I’ve had enough ripping the canvas off in the middle of a crappy condensation filled day when I can’t see anything.

I will update my thread once I get working on it.

yes
I am in the same camp. 25’ Grady.

I recently started this thread: https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...f-your-tidy-diesel-heater-installation.89262/

I just received all the parts I ordered.

It will be located port side of the boat, in the cavity to the left of where someone sitting in the passenger seat would have their legs. Tucked in down there, along with the fuel tank (5 litre rectangular tank). Exhaust thru hull will come out the port side just a few feet further back. Ducting will go through the cabin bulkhead into the cabin, and will have vents blowing up at the windshield. Can’t wait to have condensation free windows…. I’ve had enough ripping the canvas off in the middle of a crappy condensation filled day when I can’t see anything.

I will update my thread once I get working on it.
i have been following this thread ....

im also curious if some people have run the combustion intake air through a through hull fitting as well? thats what im considering.

that port or starboard side of the walkaround i have one spot i have considered as well.it makes the ducting easy to run and gives me a good exhaust option as well.

what fuel tank did you purchase/use? im thinking of doing a custom aluminum tank like pictured in the thread you started.

thanks

Just a simple Amazon tank like this:

Given that my heater will be located outside of the cabin (but within the enclosure), combustion air will come in directly within the enclosure. No need for another thru hull. It is fresh air since the drop curtain is never closed.

The fresh air intake is really of secondary importance. Even Planar official installation video just puts the heater in an enclosed compartment and draws the air from within the same compartment. As long as there is not a substantial air pressure differential between fresh air intake and exhaust location, it will not impact the efficiency of the combustion within the heater.

I had one factory installed when I bought the 232 years ago. It was behind the panel under and to the right of the steering wheel and the tank was in the rear above and between the batteries with a diesel fill cap there. This was years ago but I wanted to have you note that on mine the exhaust went out under the starboard side window along but a little above the walk around roughly half way between the bottom on the window and the floor of the walk around. When in rough blowing seas the salt water spray would go into the exhaust port and into the heater eventually destroying it. It happened in a few months. the factory covered the warranty and took the exhaust hose up from the heater and looped it above the exhaust port. any water entering drained before getting to the heater and the problem was solved.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures as this is next addition I am going to to my Seafare.

Where did you order the 2D heater from?

Do you have a picture with the exhaust pipe installed?
Give me a few days and I will update with one, have been picking away at it and did get the exhaust on last night here is a pic from the other side. The gusset is acting as a heat shield since there is a speaker close by.

Attachments

• 507E8C08-0AD0-4D5B-A1ED-B7EB3789CFF5.jpeg
    507E8C08-0AD0-4D5B-A1ED-B7EB3789CFF5.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 138
Give me a few days and I will update with one, have been picking away at it and did get the exhaust on last night here is a pic from the other side. The gusset is acting as a heat shield since there is a speaker close by.
Looking good!

I am going to be doing an install next month on my Seafare.

Guess we need one of these too
Exhaust condensation dripView attachment 72690
Yes absolutely. This is a must for marine use. Otherwise you need a condensation hole drilled in the muffler. (But in a marine application since the muffler will be inside the vessel you wouldn’t want the exhaust fumes expelling through that hole)

just like the muffler on a car.

Back