Scotty pedestals

gungadin

When I bought my Scotty downriggers, they both came with pedestals. After mounting them one has become very stiff to turn, it is the one on the port or off side for me. I run it fully extended, with a 15lb cannon ball and lately it takes quite a bit of effort to depress rhe release lever and turn the rigger inboard, something I like to do when the person on the port side is playing a fish. The one on the starboard side, turns easily with the same setup. Before I buy a new pedestal as the cure, I was hoping someone else has run into this and has found a simple cure (other then replacement).

I had one that I was unable to depress the lever on earlier this year. Took it apart and there was some crud in there. Cleaned it out and works like new

I had a similar problem. When taken apart, mine had some damaged holes the locking pin slides into. Turned it around and used the pin holes on the other side.

Both of the above answers are correct-take it apart-have a real good look at the pin and the holes in the bottom of the base. If the riggers have been running braid and the ball has hung up-sometimes the holes are misshapen or the pin itself is bent and needs to be replaced-an easy fix the dealer or you can fix.

Great, thanks for all the ideas, I will disassemble it after the rather hectic week we are having here. Sounds like there may be a cheap and easy solution

I recommend calling Scotty or one of the larger distributors of downriggers... Highwater tackle ...PNT...Trotac... and trying to explain the issue.

Often the issues are a simple fix and they might be able to shine some light on the problem.

Hopefully you are able to find a cheap and easy solution.

The swivel mounts are not lifetime warranty. If they are new-ish you may have luck that route but over a year old probably not.

I sprayed WD-40 in mine. Scotty manual says don't do that but it worked great. Only had to apply it once and this was years ago no problems since.

For plastic stuff, I'd spray on a silicone lubricant instead of WD-40. You never know how a given plastic will react to WD-40.

Back