Scotty HP Digital Counters...They Keep Dying....

I don’t think there’s an off option. Mine seem to cycle off after prolonged non-use. Then I have to touch the switch to turn on. I think there are various versions of counters out there.
You just hold the on button.

I bought my HP's new and have had them for 1 season, i have already replaced both counters and have to go get another one done again. So the "new" version isnt working either. that being said scotty was very good and fast about mailing me replacements. otherwise they are awesome downriggers and being able to pull my 18lbs cannon balls with ease

When you 2106 owners convert to the manual counter, you to will get to enjoy the clickety clack, only at a faster tempo.

i’ll take my clunkety clunkety clunkety 1106’s that i’ve had for 15 years and have done zero maintenance all day long over those issues y’all are having

Me 2. That's why I won't buy the new one. Looks great but a big price tag for a counter that goes bad all the time. Not sure I can justify the switch. I am not fishing bank style 200 ft down with 20ft balls and need it personally.

Last edited:
i’ll take my clunkety clunkety clunkety 1106’s that i’ve had for 15 years and have done zero maintenance all day long over those issues y’all are having
I've had mine since 1991 (always on a guide boat)and they are still slowly coming up. I can't tell how many salmon and a few halibut i've hooked while that rigger was coming up from the bottom out on the banks

I've had mine since 1991 (always on a guide boat)and they are still slowly coming up. I can't tell how many salmon and a few halibut i've hooked while that rigger was coming up from the bottom out on the banks
I definitely have had fewer bites on the retrieve since switching to the 2106. The slower retrieve seemed to get them. Too fast with the high powers maybe?

Me 2. That's why I won't buy the new one. Looks great but a big price tag for a counter that goes bad all the time. Not sure I can justify the switch. I am not fishing bank style 200 ft down with 20ft balls and need it personally.
at the depths i typically fish in CR ( 250 plus all the time) i’m never waiting for the cannon. i’m usually still reeling and sucking wind like a swine and my cannon is already up

TOTALLY I tried the high sped ones for a week guiding lost 3 cannon balls on braid that went "tink" from the shock!!!! to me if i was fishing the big banks maybe but for 100 feet and less ill stick to what has worked for me for over 30 years .

And nothing is cooler then hitting the swith and reeling the line up with rod in hand and BAM spring on!!!!!!

Last year had to laugh on the boat wih all the fancy stuff I saw this hole on the lid of the guys brand new HP rigger ... looked in ohhh thats why manual display counter LOL LOL

I just encountered a new form of them dying. I'm on rev 3 of them -- the one that takes a battery. Now the buttons do nothing -- you can't turn them off, can't turn on the light, change units, reset, etc. So power is good but they don't turn off any you're stuck with the last known depth. Always kept the riggers in my cabin when not in use, the counters are sealed and no water intrusion.

Regardless, got a free one under warranty so I'll keep playing the game.

I did the hack to install the analog counter with the hole in the cover as a backup. Funny thing was that the analog counter stopped working before the digital did. It would spin but the counter was stuck at zero.

Back