Scotty DR issue-counter

Charter Tofino

Went out on saturday and my counter on the DR seized up everytime i dropped so it was reading way off.No big deal its old.I replaced it today and the second time i dropped the new counter seized up again!? Tried to find a reason but couldnt figure out what would cause this. I hate sending it in but gave up as i couldnt fix it.Never heard of this? any ideas?

It happens. Salt getting inside is the culprit. I keeps spares on board and take the messed up ones in for free replacement. Wish they made the mount a bit more repair friendly. Not an easy and quick on the water swap as the area is tight to get a socket or wrench into.

Thats what i thought aswell but the second new one seized up on its second drop which makes me think it is the DR not the counters. Didnt know you can take the seized ones in! Ill remember that as they hurt at 25$ a pop.

You can take them apart but make sure it goes back the same way its easy flat head screw driver pry off to star counter be gentle as you will notice it is got a key groove then take off the plastic retaining cover AGAIN be carefull now you will see the white or black counters then spray with wd-40 or lps anything too losses it up spin it by hand to move it now reassamble.
now this is the tricky part make sure the star counter lines up like it did before as if it misses the little knobs it wont count you should be good to go now have done it many many times jsut be gentle as they do tend to break easily.

good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Cheers All,

The first time I had one of the counters seize I was right in the middle of a charter and, with no extra counter or downrigger on board, I had to slowly lower the weight - counting the revolutions of the spool to "guestimate" my depth. Needless to say not only did I replace the counter but I also ensured that I had a spare on board. I have had 3 go bad over the past 10 years. Not a difficult fix as long as you have the correct tools on board.

They really don't go bad that often but, when they do, they are a major nusiance. They are warrantied by Scotty so, take it - along with your downrigger serial number - in to your nearest service depot (in Nanaimo it Gone Fishing) and they will swap it out for you with no questions asked.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Thanks for the input guys but the problem is not a bad counter.I have had them seize before and its a quick fix loosening off the screws and poppin a new one in. I think its a problem with the downrigger itself as the new counter seized on its second drop. I tried to figure out why the DR would seize up counters and couldnt solve it.

Been thru my fair share of counters, they seem to go with lots of use. I have tried fixing them with mixed success and then learned it was easier to get replacements on board than fight with the old ones. So for what it is worth, my experience has been to have a few new replacements on hand rather than suffer the aggravation of fix or repair daily...sorry FORD owners, no disrespect intended.:D

Searun

th_067.jpg

You know us Ford lovers can't be offended easily cause we would rather push our Fords than drive a Chevy. Even if after all that we still have to flip over and read directions. All worth it on Sundays when we are first on race day!

Apparently there have been a lot of problems with these counters
in the last while. A friend of mine has also had problems on a
fairly new downrigger. I heard that the part may not be made by
Scotty - possibly overseas - although I do not know if this is a fact. However, this could be a reasonable explanation for the
problem. I have two old manual downriggers and an old electric
over 15 years old and they all have original counters. Something
is going on!

You guys jinked me with all this talk of counter failures. Never had one go,,,, until today... thanks a lot..[V]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

You guys jinked me with all this talk of counter failures. Never had one go,,,, until today... thanks a lot..[V]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

The amazing power of the internet!

don't think so silver streak i've had counters going for a long time even going back to the manual days.

Ya i couldnt see how the downrigger could some how break the counters. The replacement must have just been no good.I also do fish 15s and normally around 200ft down so i let it rip on the drop.

quote:Originally posted by Derby

I believe Scotty has a life time warrenty on the counters.:)

Absolutely. I have replaced several on warranty and never paid a penny for any of them. Take the old counter into a qualified Scotty warranty depot/tackle shop or take in the whole rigger and they will install it) Give them the serial number of the rigger and the year of purchase of the rigger ( approx was ok) and you got a new one. You must mention to them that you are the original owner because if you say you purchased it second hand, no warranty. I also had one of the pins break on the base that the counter sits on so that whole assembly was replaced no charge ( worth about 38.00 I think )

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Part of the thing that kills counter is letting the downrigger out at a million miles an hour. Years ago when I switched to 15's from 10's, I noticed the counter mortality rate go up.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

I agree. I also figured that may have been a problem so I tighten up my breaks just a tad. Now I can only drop my lead about 500,000 miles an hr !!

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

quote:Originally posted by Derby

I believe Scotty has a life time warrenty on the counters.:)

Absolutely. I have replaced several on warranty and never paid a penny for any of them. Take the old counter into a qualified Scotty warranty depot/tackle shop or take in the whole rigger and they will install it) Give them the serial number of the rigger and the year of purchase of the rigger ( approx was ok) and you got a new one. You must mention to them that you are the original owner because if you say you purchased it second hand, no warranty. I also had one of the pins break on the base that the counter sits on so that whole assembly was replaced no charge ( worth about 38.00 I think )
yes they are definitely covered by warranty if you are the original owner. I replaced hundreds under warranty when I worked at Gone Fishin' in Courtenay but the owner has instructed his employees to take one off the wall and charge customers the 25 or so bucks for them.....99% of the customers coming in there know nothing about any scotty warranties so instead of informing them that the counters are covered he now pockets the 50% plus profit on all counters installed during routine maintenance ...what a joke....so beware....they are covered....

Back