Scotty Downrigger not free falling correctly

pescador

I've found that one of my new Scotty downriggers is not releasing easily when I try to drop down my 10 lb ball. I have to work at getting the ball to drop which implies tension build up somewhere. I've used them now maybe 30 times, they function fine otherwise. The problem seems to be related to the braking system which if I apply and release seems to provide some free flow, but, clearly it should drop far easier given the weight and stress on the line. Anyone else had the problem? Can they be adjusted? Do I need to service it?. Should I go to a 15 lb ball?

Matador

There should be an adjustment screw for the tension of free falling. On my electric, just o[en the cover and it is right there.

I think there is a break tension adjustment, it may be adjusted so that it isn't fully released when you pull the release lever back.

I know this may seem obvious but the other day I was having a similar problem, and it turned out the drag I had set on the rod was way too tight -- I eventually popped the clip at which point the 10lb ball sunk like a rock...

[:eek:)]

it may be the pulley on the end of the boom is ceased up.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Check the wire, the wire can get bunged up when u retrieve...the next time u drop it down it gets a bit messed, have a look at it next time.

I've checked all the obvious. Looked at the cable, its not causing it, looked and confirmed my reel isn't making contact with the rod holder and that tension isn't excessive. My sense is it's related to the brake. It seems to get worse the wetter the cable gets. meaning that water drips off the cable after multiple pulls and gets something wet. I''ll look for the adjustment screw and contact Scotty. They're less than a year old, I assume they're under warranty.

Matador

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

it may be the pulley on the end of the boom is ceased up.

This happened to one of mine, took it to Island outfitter's and
Bill fixed it no charge.
Mine are at least 10 years old, Scotty will fix it !

Hey Pescador, when you open the cover there are two nuts in the middle. Loosen them off a quarter turn and try that. BRS

Its a new downrigger-- its having problems---- Scotty has lifetime warranty -- so where is the problem??? Take it back!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I'll try the nut adjustment, then take them back into Steveston Marine where I bought them if this doesn't work. Thanks for all the input....

Matador

quote:Originally posted by pescador

I'll try the nut adjustment, then take them back into Steveston Marine where I bought them if this doesn't work. Thanks for all the input....
There's no one @ Steveston Marine who services downriggers or has AFI, Berry's is an authorised Service Depot as is Nikka that's where you want to go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

quote:Originally posted by pescador

Matador
the two nuts serve two distinct purposes. The top on just supports the emergency handle and should NEVER be tightened down as a good majority of Scotty users seem to think. It should be loose and the top of the nut should be level with the main spool bolt. The problem you are having is a simple brake adjustment. Only tighten the bottom nut enough that when you move the brake lever back and forth it has slight resistance. put it in your mount on the boat to do this...from there just tighten or loosen the bottom nut so the line can be barely pulled out, under pressure. If this does not fix or help your bottom brake plate may be out of its seat. Rather than messing with it simply contact Scotty for the address of a service depot near you....most tackle shops are Scotty service depots

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Its a new downrigger-- its having problems---- Scotty has lifetime warranty -- so where is the problem??? Take it back!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder
no need to take it back just needs to be serviced...simple five minute job....

quote:Originally posted by bigredsnapper

Hey Pescador, when you open the cover there are two nuts in the middle. Loosen them off a quarter turn and try that. BRS
the top nut has nothing to do with the braking system, it just support the emergency handle....

You didn't say if it is electric or manual. If it's a manual you nead to loosen the bottom nut till the line go's out smoothly then tighten the top jam nut to the bottom or the bottom nut will retighten itself. If it's an electric and you don't have backing on the cable the cable is probably worked itself in between the top and bottom halfs of the pully(the pully is two pieces)this pushes them apart gaming the brake. Simply pull out all the cable and use some backing on the pully and reinstall the cable.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

They are electric. Thanks guys, I will take the many points you've suggested and try to service them on my own. If that doesn't work, I'll find someone here in Vancouver that can repair them under warranty (Berry's or whoever).

Matador

Just read Fishingbc's post - we do this a ton of times. When you fish everyday off shore the drag needs regular adjustment. The instructions and advice previously posted is 100% accurate. No need to waste your time taking the thing back.....rookie advice. Simply put the unit on your boat while she is either on the trailer or at the dock. Place the cannon ball over the side and carefully adjust the lower nut until the correct pressure is applied to the brake so that it stops and locks every time you release the handle. A half to quarter turn adjustment is all you need. Another trick later on once your brake gets worn in and starts slipping is to remove the brake pads and lightly sand them to remove the glaze, then re-install them. That will make them good as new and you can re-use the brake pads many times rather than replacement. Good idea to keep some 100 grit sand paper on the boat at all times so you can do this if you encounter slippage issues while fishing. It's a quick and easy repair. Save your carbon credits, and fix it yourself in 5 minutes.

Back