Scotty Downrigger Clutch and brake adjustment

Schoony

Ok, first time post been frustrated working on my riggers all day, old scotty 2 belt series, brake lever will not swing back after rigger trips off and lets the ball free wheel back, brake does not engage automatically, I have done everything possible, cleaned the right parts sanded brake pads etc is there a trick that I am missing?

I have the same model riggers-take everything off and under the spool and the clutch there is a spring and it often gets dislodged or is broken-that is your problem-did mine last week-same problem.

scotty downrigger problems

I have the same model riggers-take everything off and under the spool and the clutch there is a spring and it often gets dislodged or is broken-that is your problem-did mine last week-same problem.

Bought these riggers at least 19 - 20 years ago no springs under the clutch plate.

Spring Fever is correct. Take them into a shop that repairs them under warranty. I will bet Spring Fever has nailed it on the head. Had the same problem many of times.

I have tone belt unit, called Scotty and they sent a new brakekit with spring to update. Worked great. Not sure if it works on two belt system. Call Scotty!
Tedg

Believe me-there is supposed to be a spring or there is no way when you let go of the clutch that the brake will go on. It is not hard for the spring to go missing or the end to come out or break off. My riggers are 1997 2 belt jobs and it is a very common problem. Take it in and save yourself some grief-you'll be surprised what you're missing

I also have 2 older Scotty's and they did not come with the spring. A friend of mine that I fish spoke to a rep. from Scotty's, that on a number of occasions we had the same problem as Schoony noted, and Scotty's then sent us the springs.

scotty downrigger problems

I also have 2 older Scotty's and they did not come with the spring. A friend of mine that I fish spoke to a rep. from Scotty's, that on a number of occasions we had the same problem as Schoony noted, and Scotty's then sent us the springs.

Thanks Much, I will contact Scotty and see what is available. You guys have been a lot of help.

I am lucky and live in Victoria the Scotty plant is about 30 minutes away. Mine were doing this so I took them in and they put brand new brakes on.

Do you have the old red break handles? That's what mine were they updated them to the black ones.

Just took mine in for the same problem, fixed and returned the same day. Tyee marine in Camfpbell River, the same place I got it in 1990 or 91, can't remember, but had a letter from DFO saying I could use electrics. ......BB

Schoony and AlK are correct. The original 2-belt models did not have springs, and they did have red handles. Mine are from the early 90's and they used to look just as described. As an original owner, I have a lifetime warrany, and the elec switches and entire braking system were replaced/upgraded years ago.

F D

Back