Scotty Downrigger Ball Hooks

pescador

I just installed those Scotty downrigger ball hooks on the booms of my downriggers. For those of you that are using them, do you ever leave your balls hanging off them when you're under power at cruise speed? (no crude jokes pls.....) I'm curious to know how reliable they would be..... in particular in rough seas. I'm pretty sure Scotty will recommend never using them above a certain speed. I'm looking for input from practical users. Seems like a great way to not deal with the hassle of pulling in all the dr gear when you want to do a quick pull and charge over to some other area.

They work fine... if your running 15lbs, just make sure there's enought room to get them on and off... It can get tight between your rigger arm and your gunnel...
Some guys use the the scotty square ball holders and never disconnect from the rigger cable... they work great too...

Another thing to watch out for are fin weights, the fin will swing and hit the gel coat. If no fins then just let them hang. Just make sure you mount the hook facing the opposite way as the downrigger faces when your running, so the ball won't be able to jump off. I leave them on all the time and have never had a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the brass type loop on the downrigger balls wear through by having the balls stored on the boom hook while under power. I don't think the stainless loops would wear the same, which is why I will only purchase balls with stainless loops.

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the input. Sounds like its ok to leave them hung as long as the hooks positioned right.

Back