Scotty downrigger acting up

bigredsnapper

One of my downriggers is acting funny. When I hit the switch to come up it works fine til about half way up then it starts shutting off then on and bouncing around. There is a ton of crap in the water right now but the other side is fine. Any advice would be great............BRS

If your on the island take it in to scotty plastics in sidney and they will fix it up for you - no charge. It would hep if you knew what the problem was before hand but whatever it is they probably have an idea how to fix it and they will swap the parts out for free.

What is the tension like on your brake?

That was a problem I had. X2 on taking it to Scotty in Sidney

One of my downriggers is acting funny. When I hit the switch to come up it works fine til about half way up then it starts shutting off then on and bouncing around. There is a ton of crap in the water right now but the other side is fine. Any advice would be great............BRS

I've got something similar on 1 side as well. I thought it was a wonky socket (again) but maybe I'll just change sides to confirm.

sounds like an internal electrical problem...the scotty's have an internal ciruit breaker, and relay either one can cause this issue...as mentioned poor connections internal or external can cause this as well...my guess would be internal circuit breaker or relay, both are cheap from scotty $8 each I think, if you are the original buyer I believe the cost is covered

hope this helps

Matt

Does the rigger have the same problem on the other side of the boat. How does the good one perform on the "bad" side. One quick way to see if it a problem inside vs outside the rigger ( ie, boat wiring).

Its an older one and I did switch sides which seemed to work but didn't. Got a spare on there now and they are looking at it at Gone Fishin in Nanaimo. The guy there was good and recommended a tune-up for ten bucks which sounds fair to me................BRS

Back