Scotty Customer Service

Live 2 fish

Last week I called Scotty to ask some general questions about switching from steel to braid. The salesperson I spoke with ended up telling me that "as a perk to living in Victoria" area I could take my riggers in to them and for $10c/ft they would install braid for me. I did a quick calc and ends up being cheaper than buying it so I jumped at the idea of having them replace and complete a servicing on them at the same time. He told me about a week to complete (last Tuesday)... After work I rushed out to Scotty and dropped them off.

Well today I called to check in and was told that the turn around time is 2-2.5 weeks this time of year... When I told the guy that I was told last week it would take a week the man told me "yeah well thats the blanket timeframe we give but in reality this time of year is busier and its about 2.5 weeks." I am not impressed, if I had known this I would have just bought the braid as my wire is fraying and done it myself. I can understand that they might be busier, and just tell me that in the first place. Now I am contemplating driving back out to Sidney picking up my downriggers, going to buy braid and installing it so that I can get out coho fishing this weekend before they're all gone... Rant over.

What's your experience with Scotty?

Well he told you about a week, which is a little vague. Could be more, could be less. Can't be upset with them as they didn't give you a definitive answer but I can see why you'd be a little frustrated during the fishing season. Just call them up and ask for a straight answer, "will these be ready by friday?" If not, go grab them and do them yourself. Scotty has great customer service, ask anyone on here. Bit of a lesson learned though to have some spare wire/braid on hand so should something like this happen during the fishing season, you can fix the problem yourself to keep you fishing. Are you able to just snip off the frayed section of wire and re-rig everything? Hell you only need about 100' of wire on there anyways. If you're really in a pinch, shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

Last week they said would be ready by this weekend.
I was totally ready to do it myself, but thought if I could do the swap for less and have them serviced, why not?
Definitely a lesson learned. Guess I'm making the trip back out to Sidney to get them...

In the past have had great service experience with them as well, this was the first hiccup.

After driving to Trotac to pickup braid only to see they were closed for Inventory I drove out to Scotty to grab my downriggers. The guy comes out and to my disbelief they were done! New braid and serviced, and ready to GO!
Scotty came through big time just in time to get out for the coho on the weekend.
Thank you Scotty! I'll never question their customer service again.

Back