Scotty 2106 counter repair

Gear'n'beer!

IMG_1321.JPG Ok so my counter on one of my 2106's went dead last time out, no big deal I have spares and it's a 2 min job with rods in the water. So I decide to see if I can change the battery. Couple taps with a hammer along the sealing edge where it's epoxied together and it pops apart nice and clean. Battery is a CR 2450.....too easy! Grab a battery and weld leads on to new battery. Again too easy. Light comes on but no display....oh oh. Closer inspection reveals a blown chip (the black thing that now has a white circle in the centre) and another blown up piece to the right (3rd to the right). So moral of the story is de-solder leads before welding them to the battery. Good news is they can be fixed though so that is the point of this post.

GnB

The pos and neg leads to the battery, otherwise you end up putting like 50 amps or whatever through the circuit board and blow **** up like I did. Weld leads to battery then resolder to board.

View attachment 34175 Ok so my counter on one of my 2106's went dead last time out, no big deal I have spares and it's a 2 min job with rods in the water. So I decide to see if I can change the battery. Couple taps with a hammer along the sealing edge where it's epoxied together and it pops apart nice and clean. Battery is a CR 2450.....too easy! Grab a battery and weld leads on to new battery. Again too easy. Light comes on but no display....oh oh. Closer inspection reveals a blown chip (the black thing that now has a white circle in the centre) and another blown up piece to the right (3rd to the right). So moral of the story is de-solder leads before welding them to the battery. Good news is they can be fixed though so that is the point of this post.

GnB

Wow no conformal coating on the PCBA.. Bizarre. I would ask Scotty directly why they are not conformal coating the PCBA that is exposed to saltwater. That could be a big source of issue. Seen it many times with marine encl0sures.

Maybe it is your pic but that board looks like there is no coating on it.

Last edited:
Or call Scotty and they will send you updated counters.

Those were the updated counters with the on/off button.....batteries just go dead with use. Scotty had provided me with spares I'm just the kind of guy who likes to fix ****.

SV-I'm no electronics guy but the board had no coating, but the enclosure is completely sealed so I don't see any reason it would have to be? Zero evidence of any water getting into the enclosure and I leave these on the boat moored for the whole salmon season.

Those were the updated counters with the on/off button.....batteries just go dead with use. Scotty had provided me with spares I'm just the kind of guy who likes to fix ****.

SV-I'm no electronics guy but the board had no coating, but the enclosure is completely sealed so I don't see any reason it would have to be? Zero evidence of any water getting into the enclosure and I leave these on the boat moored for the whole salmon season.

It's not my call but sealed or not it's not good practice to have no conformal coating on board in a marine environment. It also helps with vibration which is something that can cause issues. It's not my design so won't comment further and don't know what engineering spec thay tested too. It is just not good practice to leave them exposed.

I really like my downiggers but until counter issue is fixed it keeps me away from buying new ones. It's too bad they can't give people an option.

Last edited:
I have seen a mod stosh does to the 2106's.........perhaps he will chime in.

Man I love my hp's.....I fish on my buddies boat with 1106's and it feels like I should pull out a book while that ball comes upo_O

Love my HP's also. The only downsides are if your boats power system has issues with the high amp draw depleting the battery. Most sport boats can handle them, especially fresh duel battery systems. They are also a little less forgiving to operator error with all that power and speed.

Would love to see the guys experimenting with battery replacement come up with a detailed proven procedure for changing the batteries and publish it on the forum..

Last edited:
Well I know what I did wrong, next time I change one I will make a proper procedure if some one else doesn't in the interim

Back