Scotty 1106's Counter Skipping

happy hooker

Crew Member
On one of my dr's when I let it down putting a rod out the counter wheel skips. Pain in the butt because you dont know what depth you are at. I have taken apart and roughed up the brake pads, adjusted tension to the correct number with a scale hoping that maybe the ball was just dropping too quick and thats why it was skipping, no luck still skipping. Counter wheel is not broken, has anyone had this problem, anyone have a fix? I am in the Okanagan so no maintenance guys close.

Yes I have and you need a new counter unless one of the spokes that turns the wheel is broken. Should be a warrenty thing if you are the first registered owner. In the last 14 years with my 1106's I've changed 3 counters.

are the little bumps on the top of the spool that grab the counter gear while the spool turns worn out? counter itself may be shot also, pretty cheap and simple fix.

Just free spool until it hits bottom and that's your deep line.....problem solved

ha ha!

Haha thx for the replies guys. Quick call to Scotty and they threw a couple in the mail this afternoon. Gotta love the Scotty service. I think all Uncle Pauly is doing right now involves sun sand tacos and margaritas Bob. When is he back?

in a pinch ive taken apart and sprayed it with any form of lube and its gotten me by ,but like others said its on its way out time for a new one....Scotty is great awesome guys down there

On my old Cannon mini mag 10 the counters failed. They had steel eclips that rusted inside. Not Monel,or stainless. Was the problem. Could have possible fixed with a new eclip.

a temporary solution is just to push the plastic cog back toward the counter so it engages the pins
worked for me anyway

a temporary solution is just to push the plastic cog back toward the counter so it engages the pins
worked for me anyway
Unfortunately it won't work for long-spraying with wd40 may get you a trip or two but once they start acting up youhad better carry a spare.

A replacement part - No. 1145 Replacement Counter - Depthpower Electric Downriggers - is about $24 U.S. - http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/Scotty-Replacement-Counter-For-Electric-Downriggers-756p42583.htm They're easy to replace. Also, whoever repairs them may replace it under warranty. I had one replaced for free this past fall when I took mine in for annual maintenance. Check with your local Scotty vendor/repair location.

as mentioned above, Scotty mailed me a couple new counters right after I called them. I will install myself. Thanks

Called Scotty today and they are shipping me a couple of replacements - only question asked did you register the down riggers. Good warranty and good down riggers, have had one for 18 years and the other for 15 years. Took one counter apart and found that the problem is caused by a tiny little C clip (non stainless steel) which corrodes. This causes rust and crud to build up which impedes the functioning of the counter.

Not sure where you live but , i had a counter issue last year and as long as you bring in the defective one HC in Nanaimo will give you a replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back