Scotty 1106’s and 20 lb cannons?

RiverBoy

i run 15’s on my 1106’s and im thinking about trying 20’s. Anyone do it? i know it will be a grunt for the riggers but man do i hate blowback fishing 250+ feet of water.

i run 15’s on my 1106’s and im thinking about trying 20’s. Anyone do it? i know it will be a grunt for the riggers but man do i hate blowback fishing 250+ feet of water.
Pretty slow. They aren't designed for it.
I switched to 2106's to run 20's and haven't looked back. Can't beat the rigger no matter how hard u try. The downfall of the 2106 is the digital counter fails from moisture ingress after time.

I run 18lbers but on the 2106. I think Scotty did a test and it was doable on their 1106, but Google that and between the braid/steel drag and the weight, and a flasher fishing line, it is a lot.

I’d start by running thinner braided dr line with 15lbs and then try 18lbers. Pancake 15lbers may help as well, for less blow back.

I also have 1106's fish 200+ feet and tried using 18# instead of the 15#. Nope. Simply struggled too hard to pull and it seemed to really strain the motor.

Investing in HP’s is your best play here. You’d be taxing your battery and riggers too hard at those depths and blowing fuses etc.
oh i’ll never have HPs. i’m not dealing with the counter issue. your points are valid. was on a friends boat last night that kept blowing a fuse on the port side. very annoying

I run 18lbers but on the 2106. I think Scotty did a test and it was doable on their 1106, but Google that and between the braid/steel drag and the weight, and a flasher fishing line, it is a lot.

I’d start by running thinner braided dr line with 15lbs and then try 18lbers. Pancake 15lbers may help as well, for less blow back.
my DR braid is 12 years old now. maybe i’ll change out and go with the thinner stuff. thanks!

oh i’ll never have HPs. i’m not dealing with the counter issue. your points are valid. was on a friends boat last night that kept blowing a fuse on the port side. very annoying
Pretty sure you can retrofit analogue counters in the hp’s… best of both worlds.
Anyone else have have some experience with this?!

We run 18’s on our 1106 downriggers when over at Gabriola fishing deep The rigger is slower but does it ok. We have not blown a 20amp fuse so far. 20 lb ball would be too much tho imo. And we run 200 lb power pro braid rather than 250 lb braid. That thinner line makes a noticeable difference. Then tie to 6’ 200lb tuna cord then to the ball. This tuna cord triggers the stop when an overhand knot is used. The heavier 250 lb tuna cord is just a bit thicker and can jam if you tie an overhand knot.

Not sure that 20 lb balls and 250 lb braid will yield any less blowback than 18 lb balls and 200 lb braid. Just faster on the way up with 2106’s.

Buy some 200lb braid for one side of the boat and compare to the 250, if that’s what is on there now. You will see a difference.
Cheers

Last edited:
I run 18's when i want to fish deeper than 150 ft or there's heavy current. I have the 2 old belters and they tolerate it

Also i fish very thin double spun 150 lb wire

Last edited:
Pretty sure you can retrofit analogue counters in the hp’s… best of both worlds.
Anyone else have have some experience with this?!
I did this. All the bits are already in place. Just need the manual counter. I didn't need a template. I'm pretty ok with a tape measure... lol. Siliconed a dollar store reading glass lens over the counter-hole. It works awesome for us older fellas!!

Been running 18’s for last 4 seasons more often than not on my 1106’s down 225 + at times. They complain a bit when really deep but Haven’t had anything go yet

Edit: you asked about 20’s but as said above 18’s and thin braid fishes well, never tried 20’s but would be cautious with the 1106 I think.

Been running 18’s for last 4 seasons more often than not on my 1106’s down 225 + at times. They complain a bit when really deep but Haven’t had anything go yet

Edit: you asked about 20’s but as said above 18’s and thin braid fishes well, never tried 20’s but would be cautious with the 1106 I think.
How big is your fuse? That's quite the feat.

How big is your fuse? That's quite the feat.
15 A.
Theres been one or two popped from stupidity on my part but haven’t had them go while retrieving.
Would be curious what the amperage draw is vs a prawn puller with two weighted traps and 400’ line.

I’ll likely have to replace a motor at some point but 18’s fish so much nicer in winter/deep tacks/high current.

I bought 18's but have been scared to try them. Don't want to deal with blowing a fuse. Was fishing 225 feet recently. Seemed like the 1106's weren't thrilled with that with 15's on.

I bought 18's but have been scared to try them. Don't want to deal with blowing a fuse. Was fishing 225 feet recently. Seemed like the 1106's weren't thrilled with that with 15's on.
yah i routinely fish 250’ -270’ of wire. i think i’m gonna try the 200 lb braid. my line is old anyways

Back