Say goodbye to the 2010 Goldstream spawners!?!

Deewar25

I have to assume based on the clipping schedule at Sooke, that the Goldstream spawners would be still in the river as fry now and they may get wiped out thanks to the apparent stupid drunk guy that flipped his tanker allowing his fuel to spill into the river and the estuary (holding 30k litres). That makes me sick and I hope he gets hammered with jail time for that.

I sure as hell hope the amount that actually got in is small, but it was only a few hours and they were already talking about containment in the estuary.

Just what that river needed.

well, couple reports coming in stating fish floating in the river and estuary. Sounds like 30k litres were actually spilled, that wasn't just what it was holding. Throwing the book at him with extensive fines that go directly to the river/estuary rehabilitation would be what I'd like to see (as if the government was that proactive though)....losing his professional license forever would be nice as well (all this of course on the assumption he was confirmed drunk).

That sucks especially with the poor returns last yr. Used to love bringing the kids down there for the Chum run when they were little and teach them how special Salmon really are.. Goldstream really has had a tuff go of it.

FFS. They should put breathalyzer units in all heavy trucks carrying dangerous goods. Have had to work on trucks that wont allow you to start the engine until you perform a breath alcohol test.

Not too many issues over the years with Drugs and accidents that I have come across. I am sure there have been several cases but it seems alcohol is the major drug of choice before driving a vehicle. Some transport companies also have drug screening to put the scare tactic into their employees to prevent the issue. Unfortunately alcohol is not seen as a drug with some companies since it is a legal substance.

I have worked as a commercial transport mechanic for the past 12 years. Breathalyzer units have been installed in units with previous offenders with a drinking and driving conviction. In my opinion they should have their class 1 licence revoked when an under the influence charge has been laid on them. Just my 2 cents :)

Great idea KC. But it will probably never happen. It makes way to much sense for the government.

Gas actually isn't as bad as you'd expect - much does dissipate. The biggest issue is obviously the fish kill. Latest article just repeating what I already said.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/T...re+Goldstream+River+salmon/4637843/story.html

Also wonder about the driver - couple people now saying he was released with no charges, but media sure doesn't state that and why hold a totally sober guy 48 hours? Also report on CTV that he assaulted the arresting officer as well.

sad to hear about any kind of fuel/oil spill,even worse around waterways, glad no one was hurt...

on the bright side:confused:, anybody looking for a job and have your class 1, you might want to check with Columbia Fuels:rolleyes:

I like the breathalyser idea a s well only in addition to the truck not starting...it should make Raffi Torres appear and hammer the guy!!!

The Goldstream hatchery gave my son's school several hundred chum eggs for educational purposes. 126 fry were raised from it and may be all that's left to be released into goldstream for this year.... Very sad.

The Goldstream hatchery gave my son's school several hundred chum eggs for educational purposes. 126 fry were raised from it and may be all that's left to be released into goldstream for this year.... Very sad.

It could be an idea to have the hatchery take them back and raise then in a large tank to a larger than usual release size. That could give those few at least a bit of a higher survival rate when they are released. Pretty sad.

It would be nice to see the Govt. change the laws back and not allow the use of tandem trailers for dangerous cargo –less risky but higher transport costs. I understand that it was the 2nd back trailer that leaked in the crash.

It would be nice to see the Govt. change the laws back and not allow the use of tandem trailers for dangerous cargo –less risky but higher transport costs. I understand that it was the 2nd back trailer that leaked in the crash.

driven over the Mallahat way to many times to count over the last 20yrs, no need to change the laws...need to get the drunks off the road.

42,000 ltrs of gas....must have been both trailers,as the tanker-train I drive occasionally now, holds just over 40,000 ltrs

Fears that the spill would ruin the famous Goldstream salmon run were allayed when thousands of chum arrived in the fall.

I agree... The worst is yet to come.

Back