Save the Cowichan

EXACTLTY!!!

Thank you both, "Concerned Angler and Highligts" - don't worry, due to my passion towards any form of angling, we for certain are all on the correct page and in full agreement...my writing skills are not nessesarilly the best at conveying my minds words, however I won't abbandon the good fight. Ever!

Closing systems is deffinately not the anwser, I was trying to say that in a facetious manner to make light of our most recent past - there I go again...forgetting to add smiles and emotions to my posts!;):D[}:)][8D]

Hmmm - note to self, type smiles and emotions to show intent of post.:)

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

Hi guys new man here first post!
I started steelhead fishing when i was about 12 in the Chemainus river when my uncle was the gate keeper in coppercanyon few steelhead in there but hay , you got to start some where.
In 86 on the cow i caught and released 209 steelhead from the 25 of Dec to the end of April,still have my recordbook and of all of them 12 were hatchery fish ever since my catch has be going down and down.

I don't know what the answer is but i know the cow can be as it once was i beleave that!
This year ive been out twice with my nephew good fisherman proud of him,hooked into one and my nephew hooked into one thats preaty good if you ask me.I will never catch as many as i once did but if that was the only fish i hooked all year i be a happy man lol.

I don't begrudge any body keeping one or two a year but i would keep it at that but thats me.Thanks for letting me sound off guys.
Mike.

Hhhmmm...very interesting.

Started in 1977, the Cowichan Fish Hatchery is a Salmonid Enhancement facility operated by Cowichan Tribes under contract to Fisheries and Oceans Canada. The primary goal of the Hatchery is to raise the wild salmon stock in the Cowichan River system to historical levels through a combination of brood stock and salvage strategies. The facility has a capacity for 3.5 million eggs, but is limited by water availability (the facility uses ground water only) and returning stocks (maximum 30%).

Salmon Fry Release (to 2003)

Chum (since 1976) - 6,0420708
Coho (1982 to 2000*) - 2,438,836
Coho salvaged (since 1976) - 4,992,350
Chinook (since 1979) - 36,386,534
* Brood stock of coho was discontinued in 2001. Research found that wild coho are much stronger and therefore have a much better survival rate.

Cowichan River Watershed Map Code: 920257700 5th Order
Wild Stock Trend: Relatively Stable at Moderate Abundance
Wild Stock Status: Conservation Concern
(Any stocks from Cowichan Lake tribs such as Robertson River are likely extinct or in the ECC zone.)
Class: Augmented (50,000 smolts, Cowichan WR)
Recent Steelhead Escapements: 500-800 Winter Run, H/W Ratio 1:4
Observed Mean Peak Fish/km 1998 -2001: 3.6 WR (but unreliable from snorkel surveys)
Angling Regulations: Steelhead Fishery - Catch and release of wild fish and hatchery retention with daily/annual quotas.
Mean annual effort: Long term 1968-1996: 8,072 / Recent 1997-2000: 5,818 2001/02 (+)
Mean Annual catch: Long term 1968- 1996: 3,507 / Recent 1997-2000: 2,726

Estimated Steelhead Habitat Smolt Capacity & Returning Adults (assuming 13% marine survival)

26,576 smolts / 3400 adults (based on Tredger 1986/Ptolemy 2002 (high end)
Conservation Concern Level @ 30% of capacity is 1,020 adults.
Existing Habitat:
watershed area (km2): 1226.8 Comments
mean annual discharge (m3/s): 55 Sediment problems - active slides, logging damage, periodic low summer flows, high temperatures and BOD impacts on lower river. Floodplain at Duncan and Lake Cowichan communities subject to flooding - major encroachment on flood plain - stream channelization impacts mainly chum salmon and rearing areas for other salmonids. Degraded habitat in tributaries above Cowichan Lake. Biomass 800-1000g/Unit at estimated steelhead carrying capacity

Read more... http://www.bccf.com/steelhead/focus8.htm

quote:Originally posted by old steely man

Hi guys new man here first post!
I started steelhead fishing when i was about 12 in the Chemainus river when my uncle was the gate keeper in coppercanyon few steelhead in there but hay , you got to start some where.
In 86 on the cow i caught and released 209 steelhead from the 25 of Dec to the end of April,still have my recordbook and of all of them 12 were hatchery fish ever since my catch has be going down and down.

I don't know what the answer is but i know the cow can be as it once was i beleave that!
This year ive been out twice with my nephew good fisherman proud of him,hooked into one and my nephew hooked into one thats preaty good if you ask me.I will never catch as many as i once did but if that was the only fish i hooked all year i be a happy man lol.

I don't begrudge any body keeping one or two a year but i would keep it at that but thats me.Thanks for letting me sound off guys.
Mike.

...further more - some added data that rides the same time frame as mentioned above.

Percentage wise and the short time within the months mentioned - this boy is a highliner!!! Wooohooo! Good on you!

cowichan-sha.gif

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

Wow, I wish I fished steelhead in the late 80s.

I'll say it again, creel surveys do not use a large enough data set to be statistically significant. I've been fishing for 15 years and never once been surveyed - then again all 3 hatchery cow steelhead I've caught were released, guess that was a mistake.

i personally started fishing the cow in 91, and had a blast, only got better as i knew what i was doing, i had some totally amazing fishing 93 - 95, i moved to terrace in 96 ( just in time for the big snow)as great as the fishing was in terrace ( didnt get enough time) i did miss the cow , especially those late dec early jan fish (size does matter), i dont fish steelies much anymore ( back then spent minium 5 days pounding ) but i do miss it, i have some guys bugging me to take em , maybe i should give it a whirl

expo 86 there was alot of money put into fisheries i remember those years went from no fish in the early 80s to 10 fish days consistantly its all about money i would of thought with the olympics coming here the same would of happened but it is only a 2 week event and there promoting whistler we will end up with anice highway for the skiers ;)

I can remember the days when I went up the cowie in a jet boat
too bad I dont know what I know Now back then

my biggest was high teens(lbs) when I was 12 years old
no pic :(

Long gone are the days of a fish behind every rock

I can only imagine it will get worse with the steelhead program cut

Why dont we band together and start Steelhead unlimited like Ducks did and manage it on our own. I dont know about you guys but i love drifting the cowie and want to keep drifting it!We lost the upper river to the fly guys and i think we could raise enough money on our own to make it like it use to be.I see 15 20 guys daily when i am on the river and most of them dont catch any fish thats pathetic!
Big Beautiful River with Very Few Fish Very SAD!!
Thats my 2 cents
What do you think?

Thats a great idea.I believe RVP is doing just that with killfish.com,I think everybody should do something to help.

2003 i landed 93 steelhead out of the Cow, didn't report any thou. 16 fish were hatchery. Alot of the smolts have been residaulizing in the river, up to 14 inches or more.

Hey rvp your doing a good job on Killfish.com its looking good you guys should chek it out.

Hooklineandsinker
I did check it out its coming along great [8D]

Might be the start to reeladdcitions post

I wonder why sport fishing BC is not doing anything or any other website Like BCXhd (who ever they are) (EYE ROLL) Soon the wont any rivers to make a video to put on their site
(Not bashing sfbc, but isnt the what the bigger picture is here[?]

they have something for farmed salmon but no steelhead

I wil join when I get back from this weekends fishin trip :D
looks good

Back