Sardines return by the millions to B.C. coast

Sushihunter

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Sardines+return+millions+coast/4571498/story.html

Sardines return by the millions to B.C. coast

By Gordon Hamilton, Vancouver Sun April 6, 2011 7:32 PM Be the first to post a comment

Sardines' return to the West Coast is being attributed changes in ocean conditions.

Photograph by: Submitted photo, Vancouver Sun files

VANCOUVER — Sardines have returned to the B.C. coast in schools “thick enough to walk on” creating a fascinating spectacle and new fishery on Vancouver Island.
Fishing fleets in resource-dependent communities like Ucluelet, Zeballos and Port Hardy harvested 22 thousand tonnes of sardines last year, a tiny fraction of the schools that observers say can be hundreds of metres long as they move into the Island’s bays and inlets.

“I’ve seen them on the west coast of Vancouver Island thick enough to walk on,” Barron Carswell, senior manager of marine fisheries and seafood policy for the provincial agriculture ministry, said in an interview. “It’s incredible. They are all over the place. You can go into little bays and the surface of the water is all sardines.”

Sardines, also called pilchards, were at one time a major B.C. fishery, but they mysteriously disappeared in the 1940s. Overfishing along their migration route from California to Alaska is believed to be a prime cause.

Their return is being attributed to changes in ocean conditions.

Now that they are back, the new fishery is being managed cautiously to ensure that it will be sustainable, said Carswell. Seine boats all have a fisheries observer aboard and an observer on the dock when they unload their catch to ensure quotas are not exceeded. The fishery also has a strong First Nations component. The federal department of fisheries issues 25 commercial and 25 communal first nations licences annually. Seine crews and unloading station workers are mostly recruited from local first nations.
The overall B.C. sardine quota is 22,000 tonnes but estimates on the size of the sardine population run as high as one million tonnes.

The first fishery was held in 2007, when the wholesale value of the catch was $1.4 million. Early estimates show the wholesale value of the 2010 catch at $41 million.
“They slowly started to show up 10 years ago and for the last few years we have had a limited fishery on them,” said Dan Treend, one of the owners of Breakers Fish Co. of Richmond, which operates three seine boats out of Zeballos from June to October, the sardine season.

“It’s a fantastic fishery. It’s a very clean fishery, there’s very little bycatch. Most of the catch is 100 per cent sardines,” Treend said in an interview. “I am sure they have always been here to some degree but not in big schools like they are now. When they school up, it’s like a cloud passing over the sun; you see a giant cloud of fish going by.”
Treend said sardines are fast-swimming fish which makes them more difficult to catch with a seine net than herring.

“By the time you close your net most of them are already gone. Even so, guys can get 50 tonnes in a single set but it’s nowhere near the size of the school.”
Treend said most of the catch is exported to Russia, Ukraine and Asian countries where there is more of a culture around eating the oily fish.

Treend has eaten them himself but is not particularly fond of them.
“We are just not accustomed to them in North America,” he said. “They have light grey flesh, are a little oily tasting and slightly fishy.

But they are far superior to the canned sardines most Canadians are familiar with, he said.

The ministry of agriculture is promoting sardines on its website BCseafood.ca where it has recipes for the fish, which it describes as a “nutritional powerhouse” full of omega-3 fatty acids.

Treend said Breakers sells a limited number of fresh sardines in Greater Vancouver beginning in June through small specialty distributors, where they can show up in stores like Thrifty Foods and Whole Foods.

ghamilton@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technol...llions+coast/4571498/story.html#ixzz1InoJ1OHZ

big cutplug, do they brine up well??

Great eating grilled with a lot of salt during prep. Very quick and excellent with a few Luck Lagers. Also, extremely healthy with lots of Omega 3. The Med diet is highly reliant on this species. I love them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree- great eating. also agreed again that they dont brine up at all however they cut plug really nice and also work well live.

Very good sign for salmon? More bait the better eh...Plus wasn't not enough feed contributed to the declines of many stocks?

Absolutely fantastic...despite massive overfishing these fish have battled back from the brink of extinction and are finally making a comeback. They represent such an important food source for the fish, mammals and overall health of our Pacific coast. I'm just confused as to why we continue to commercially fish the basic foodsource of our oceans for f'n catfood and fertilizer. Let them thrive and see what happens!!!

Absolutely fantastic...despite massive overfishing these fish have battled back from the brink of extinction and are finally making a comeback. They represent such an important food source for the fish, mammals and overall health of our Pacific coast. I'm just confused as to why we continue to commercially fish the basic foodsource of our oceans for f'n catfood and fertilizer. Let them thrive and see what happens!!!

Point taken.

A while back I attended a lecture by some science guy from Ocean Wise-you've heard all about it-sustainably harvested seafod yaddah, yaddah, yaddah.....

So I asked him in plain English why Ocean Wise was approving the widespread harvest of the very food that sustains so much of the web of life in our oceans he nodded guiltily and mumbled that 'It must be managed properly'.

To my mind there's no evidence the Sardine harvest is managed in any way at all-it looks likes a god damned free for all of the most disgusting and bare assed type.

Draggers/seiners are moored @ Steveston Dock sales float flogging those fish all season (for top dollar) -and they refuse to answer any questions of any kind I know I've tried asking.

I know that commies get a brittle reception around here but for the record, sardines are currently being managed very conservatively. The fact that the huge schools disappeared from V.I. back in the 40's wasn't just a case of over-fishing: a lot of it had to do with ocean conditions (temps, plankton distribution etc)

Down in this neck of the woods they just whacked 30 % off the quota:

...." The Commission also approved the 2011 commercial Pacific sardine fishery. The harvest guideline set by the Pacific Fishery Management Council is down 30 percent from 2010, reflecting a continuing downward trend in sardine populations......"

It sounds like the one man's "downward trend" is another man's upward trend (sardines showing up again off V.I.)

For the record, they do not end up as cat food and animal fertilizer. They end up in cans in Thailand and China, some of them as high-end hook and line bait for tuna

And then there's Oprah: like it or not, when she speaks a lot of people listen:

QUOTE: ...."Recently, something very big happened for little sardines: Oprah Winfrey’s Web site named the can-sized fish one of its “25 superfoods to eat this year.”

Although sardines and superfood aren’t usually mentioned in the same breath, Winfrey’s site declared: “Rich, delicious sardines not only contain more of the good stuff (Omega-3s, calcium) and less of the bad (mercury) but are a sustainable choice — i.e., these little guys are not on the verge of extinction.” UNQUOTE

As a commie who distributes bait, I can tell you that like it or not, there's a huge population out there that needs feeding and as the high-end gets more expensive, there's huge incentive to work down the food chain to the "cheaper" cuts like sardines and squid.

The commies will fish them according to seasonal allocations

Let's hope that management understands the population dynamics and manages accordingly. They don't always get it right but at least someone is watching

Hopefully they will stick around the SCVI this summer and make Swiftsure what it used to be...

And I do think that modern commercial management is pretty darn good these days, with the exception of the 88/12 mess. There is some for all.

Too bad they didn't take a crack at the Humboldts that showed up that one year, would have been enough of them in the JDF to feed China for a year.

Great news! I caught a lot of fish on fresh caught pilchards last year, if they are around again this year in better numbers i'm going to be in heaven!

Gotta agree with Pescador on two things ....

Yes, they are a very important part of Mediterranean culture, and yes, they are fantastic grilled! A little olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon, and they are delicious. Not fishy, bones come out easily, I must admit that my wife and I were pleasantly surprised when we first tried them. As with any fish, freshness is of course key ....

To be honest, people should definitely look at eating further down the food chain .... If this topic interests you, a book called Bottomfeeder by Taras Grescoe is an excellent read, and quite an eye-opener.

Quite simply, the whole world cannot continue to dine on the top of the food chain ....

Holmes, you better serve some fine wine in that new establishment. I'll be there Aug 7th and am expecting the exceptional quality I'm used to!!! Hopefully you've got some paella on the menu. Used to drink Lucky in the old days. Prefer Peronni/Stella today, but, will take what I can get.......

Back