Samsung Galaxy S5 -- It's really waterproof!!!

TenMile

Hey guys,

I thought I'd share my experience with the new Samsung Galaxy S5 -- I got this phone about a week ago when my contract renewed and had my first in-water mishap. Samsung have "Waterproofed" this phone and it has an IP67 rating which means that it's both "Dust tight" and can be immersed in water up to 1 meter.

Well, last night, was out doing some sailing with my kids in a small dinghy and I had the phone in my pocket -- I will often bring it out to use the GPS to track our speed. We got hammered by a strong gust of wind and we ended up in the ocean for a swim. Got the boat back upright, everyone safe onboard and back to the dock. About an hour later after we had things put away and everyone home and dry, I checked the phone. Still happily running.

I did a quick rinse of the exterior -- took the back off and did a quick dry of the charging port and internals.

Anyhow -- it couldn't have gotten any more wet! I had the iPhone 4S prior with a Lifeproof case -- which really did a great job of keeping the phone safe (skiing, fishing, beer spilling) but eventually, the case wore out and began to tear and I was getting concerned over it's true waterproof capabilities. The Galaxy S5 doesn't have (or need) a case. Wouldn't recommend dunking your phone in the saltchuck -- but if you do -- at least you know it should survive.

Here's an online torture test of the phone:

http://bgr.com/2014/04/08/is-the-galaxy-s5-really-waterproof/

Back