Samson Narrows lost traps

slader99

Hoping someone comes across a pair of prawn traps and weight on a small scotchman+ red&white plastic float. Well labeled with SLADE and phone number.

One of my sets wasn't anywhere near where it was left after a 4hr soak in Samson narrows.

I won't hold my breath though, it had lots of scope and a fair amount of weight so I'm worried someone felt they needed it more than me. Bit of a bummer for the crew on family day....

As you probably know,the tide can really rip in the narrows,and what that also does is draw a lot of debris like kelp rafts through there.I've had traps go "missing" in there before only to come back a week later and find scotsman popped back to the surface on a lesser current flow and a huge mound of kelp draped over the line under the water.I use this current predictor when I plan a trip there and won't drop traps in anything more than a 2.5- 3 knot tide.https://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/7124.html.This might have been what happened to you,but unfortunately there is thievery that goes on in there and everywhere for that matter.You mentioned that you just had a small scotsman and float and that could be the problem.The other thing you need to do in there is weigh your traps real heavy.I use no less than 10 lbs. in each trap and add a 12 lb pancake weight to the string as well.even with that much weight they can move.The velosity of the current in there is just incredible!

Thanks for the post. I had written the traps off and put the boat to bed until later in the spring but your message spurred me to take a walk on the Stoney hill trail with the binoculars this AM during slack tide. Sure enough the bouy was exactly where I left it. I managed to take the morning off to retrieve them and my poor prawn puller started struggling after about 100' of line was retrieved. Had to cycle it on and off with manual assist for about 5 or 10 minutes to get another 25' and then something let go. All traps and weight retrieved, I think I must have snagged a big log or kelp mass as you suggested.

I feel kind of lame jumping to the stolen trap conclusion but I knew the traps were well weighted, I had plenty of scope and lots of float power. Wish I had been able to see the mass that hung me up!

Cheers,
Slader99

Thanks for the post. I had written the traps off and put the boat to bed until later in the spring but your message spurred me to take a walk on the Stoney hill trail with the binoculars this AM during slack tide. Sure enough the bouy was exactly where I left it. I managed to take the morning off to retrieve them and my poor prawn puller started struggling after about 100' of line was retrieved. Had to cycle it on and off with manual assist for about 5 or 10 minutes to get another 25' and then something let go. All traps and weight retrieved, I think I must have snagged a big log or kelp mass as you suggested.

I feel kind of lame jumping to the stolen trap conclusion but I knew the traps were well weighted, I had plenty of scope and lots of float power. Wish I had been able to see the mass that hung me up!

Cheers,
Slader99
Did you get any Prawns for your effort?

Cheers,
Slader99
Glad to hear it worked out for you,S99. It was probably a kelp raft and what happens is the force of the current is so strong in there from the constriction that the raft gets pulled down the line with each passing tide until the tide goes slack and the force lets the semi bouyant kelp and floats rise back to the surface.If you have a gps on your boat,just make sure to mark where you dropped them so you can investigate when/if this happens again.Cheers FF

I was hoping no one would ask ;) The traps I pulled today were pretty sad; only about a dozen prawns between the two traps and 6 or so sidestrips. Wasn't worth cleaning and getting ice so I threw them back to catch another day. Seemed like a muddy bottom which hasn't seemed to work for me. On Monday one of our sets was good; had about 100 keepers which is better than nothing!

I haven't been too successful prawning yet. I do OK out towards tent island in the 200-250' depth range but I'm still not sure what would make a promising prawning spot. I've tried to do my homework but it seems like the posts that have pictures (like chasingdreams & buckethead) the links don't work. I know it's all about putting in the time and trying new spots but I need to find a book or website that shows some sample charts with promising areas highlighted.

Slader99

Last edited:
I was hoping no one would ask ;) The traps I pulled today were pretty sad; only about a dozen prawns between the two traps and 6 or so sidestrips. Wasn't worth cleaning and getting ice so I threw them back to catch another day. Seemed like a muddy bottom which hasn't seemed to work for me. On Monday one of our sets was good; had about 100 keepers which is better than nothing!

I haven't been too successful prawning yet. I do OK out towards tent island in the 200-250' depth range but I'm still not sure what would make a promising prawning spot. I've tried to do my homework but it seems like the posts that have pictures (like chasingdreams & buckethead) the links don't work. I know it's all about putting in the time and trying new spots but I need to find a book or website that shows some sample charts with promising areas highlighted.

Slader99
The problem is you'll get conflicting opinions even from good guys. Some like flats, others like hills. Some like the top of a hill, others the bottom. Some like rocky, others like sandy. Some like pellets, others just herring. Some drop with the tide, others against. Some deep, others shallow. Anyways you get the point. The only sure way is to try different areas and see what works. Make sure your traps are landing right side up. Record the tides when you had good sets. And make sure you get right over your traps when you retrieve them to double check if you actually hit your spot. Always check your depth and charts as you retrieve not just when you drop. TRUST ME, you are not going to find a straight answer through ANY amount of research. Just get out there and practice. Good luck!

You say you haven't been too successful but you also say you got 100 in one set. Are you expecting the traps to be full to the brim? lol

You say you haven't been too successful but you also say you got 100 in one set. Are you expecting the traps to be full to the brim? lol

Full to the brim would be nice but I'd settle for 1 full layer of prawns! We had one good set (of 3 total) and ended up with around 100 keepers in the day; it wasn't unsuccessful but I've heard of people getting more than 50 in a single trap! I'm hoping some of those pictures I've seen mentioned in other prawning threads might get posted again so I can focus my exploration. I feel like I'm still shooting somewhat blind and I don't get as much time as I'd like on the water.

I lay uphill all the time, figure out the depth roughly that they at.. then next day or set, lay them at that depth or on the same contour.

I have done incredibly well when I can find a V notch too.

I lay uphill all the time, figure out the depth roughly that they at.. then next day or set, lay them at that depth or on the same contour.

I have done incredibly well when I can find a V notch too.
Yeah I always lay upslope as well.

Thanks everyone for the input. I had been trying to land on flats at the base of slopes or bottom of holes. I'll try placing them on the slope instead.

If you had a good sounder would it show a promising spot (see prawns or whatever they feed on) or are you just going by contours, depth and bottom type?

I believe there have been a few to claim they can see prawns on their high quality electronics.
I'm just happy to know how deep it is with my cheap sounder.

I've seen as many as 150 in one trap after only a 3 hour soak. Wish I knew what makes those days so special. Same spot, same tide, different day, all bets are off...a good spot always produces some, but doesn't always produce lots.

I've seen as many as 150 in one trap after only a 3 hour soak. Wish I knew what makes those days so special. Same spot, same tide, different day, all bets are off...a good spot always produces some, but doesn't always produce lots.
They move. The water moves. The food moves. It's shooting darts blind folded at a moving dart board... in high winds.

That's why longer sets can sometimes produce more because they'll eventually find your traps. But a good honey hole can produce a lot in just a couple hours. This is why I have 8 traps lol.

Use the sounder (it doesn'the have to be the latest or most expensive) for spotting your depths/contour lines, but spend some time with your paper charts before venturing out (you do have those I hope) looking for likely spots. Enough has been posted about the bottom structure you are looking for to identify spots to try.
And last trips golden spot may not repeat itself, but it probably will.

Back