Saltspring Smallmouth

My pleasure Rodbreaker. Good luck. Send some photo's of your catch to us.

My pleasure Rodbreaker. Good luck. Send some photo's of your catch to us.

Hi, I'm coming out to BC for the first time in 4 days and I'm staying at St. Mary lake for 2 days. Is there anything in particular that those smallies love?
Thanks JP

Hi, I'm coming out to BC for the first time in 4 days and I'm staying at St. Mary lake for 2 days. Is there anything in particular that those smallies love?
Thanks JP

Thanks JP

JP - You are going to have a blast..!!!
If you have 4" Lizzards, 4" Straight tail worms or tubes bring 'em.
You will also get them in the morning and evening on topwaters. I would throw jerkbaits or spinnerbaits, the whole range. Everything has a time and place in this lake. Some lakes lend themselves to certain baits but this lake has so many smallies, you can take the opportunity to learn some new techniques.
Where are you coming from? If you have any other questions please let me know.
Good luck, like you'll need it!! E-mail some St.Mary's Smallies along with your techniques so I can post it on my site..

You will also get them in the morning and evening on topwaters. I would throw jerkbaits or spinnerbaits, the whole range. Everything has a time and place in this lake. Some lakes lend themselves to certain baits but this lake has so many smallies, you can take the opportunity to learn some new techniques.
Good luck, like you'll need it!! E-mail some St.Mary's Smallies along with your techniques so I can post it on my site..

Thanks for the info Terry. I'm coming from Ontario, this is my only break in my too busy tournament schedule. It will be great to unwind and not worry about weighing in at 3:00 every time!!! It sound like the smallies are just like here! We have some of the best lakes like Lake Simcoe and Lake Erie to catch enormous smallies, so it will be a great treat to fishing them somewhere else, on a small lake. I've fished them everyway possible here, but Lucky Craft Pointers, spinnerbaits and tubes seem to be the staples in Ontario. These 2 lakes give up 20 plus pounds on 5 fish on every tournament. Simcoes record is over 27 lbs for 5 fish, and Erie is about the same!!! I'll send some pictures when I get back from BC and Ontario with some info to go with it!!
Thanks JP

Thanks for the info Terry. I'm coming from Ontario, this is my only break in my too busy tournament schedule. It will be great to unwind and not worry about weighing in at 3:00 every time!!! It sound like the smallies are just like here! We have some of the best lakes like Lake Simcoe and Lake Erie to catch enormous smallies, so it will be a great treat to fishing them somewhere else, on a small lake. I've fished them everyway possible here, but Lucky Craft Pointers, spinnerbaits and tubes seem to be the staples in Ontario. These 2 lakes give up 20 plus pounds on 5 fish on every tournament. Simcoes record is over 27 lbs for 5 fish, and Erie is about the same!!! I'll send some pictures when I get back from BC and Ontario with some info to go with it!!
Thanks JP

Thanks JP

Thanks JP

The numbers of smallies will blow your mind but the size of them won't be much to write home about. There is another lake over there call Cushion, this lake is very small, quite honestly should be a largemouth lake but it holds some very nice smallmouth. Fish this lake like they are largemouth and you should do just fine.

Have a great trip!!

Terry

The numbers of smallies will blow your mind but the size of them won't be much to write home about. There is another lake over there call Cushion, this lake is very small, quite honestly should be a largemouth lake but it holds some very nice smallmouth. Fish this lake like they are largemouth and you should do just fine.

Have a great trip!!

Terry

Have a great trip!!

Terry

Have a great trip!!

Terry

I just got back 2 days ago from visiting Salt spring Island. WOW!!! I've never seen such agressive smallmouth bass. The size was okay, averaging 2.5 lbs but the numbers was great to see. I found that the key was deep weedlines in the day, using smoke and pumpkinseed 3.5" tubes on 1/8 oz. tear drop tube jigs that are poured onto a 3/0 gamakastsu jig hook. The fun began before dusk when the smallies moved into the reeds surrounding the lake. Soft plastic twichbaits, and topwaters (all weedless) thrown into the reeds proved to be the presentation of choice nailling 20 smallmouth in around an hour before dark.
Thanks for all the tips, I hope this helps somebody who wants to catch these fiesty fish.
Thanks Terry!!!
JP

I just got back 2 days ago from visiting Salt spring Island. WOW!!! I've never seen such agressive smallmouth bass. The size was okay, averaging 2.5 lbs but the numbers was great to see. I found that the key was deep weedlines in the day, using smoke and pumpkinseed 3.5" tubes on 1/8 oz. tear drop tube jigs that are poured onto a 3/0 gamakastsu jig hook. The fun began before dusk when the smallies moved into the reeds surrounding the lake. Soft plastic twichbaits, and topwaters (all weedless) thrown into the reeds proved to be the presentation of choice nailling 20 smallmouth in around an hour before dark.
Thanks for all the tips, I hope this helps somebody who wants to catch these fiesty fish.
Thanks Terry!!!
JP

Thanks Terry!!!
JP

Back