Salmon took my Islander reel

Sorry about your Islander....I hang around Esperanza all summer...Where did you lose it? I've had 2 Scotty rod holders fail....both at the stem. They were older and were in the sun too long. One I grabbed and the other came back very gingerly on the release clip. I changed over to the Striker models. They have the same type of stem so I rigged 2 home made shock cords that go around the stainless arms and hook under the gunnel. These take stress off the striker and would hold it if it broke.....
Good to know thanks. And directly across from port eliza inlet and inland from Pim rock

You have to watch that these don’t loosen up on you and roll over. I have had these for years (after a few Scotty breakages) but every year I have to tighten up the set screws just a touch.
I have these as well. I drilled through the mounting plate and bolted the unit through the existing hole in the boom, so there is no risk of it rolling under tension.

Now someone is thinking. thanks for the input
If you zoom in, you can see the thru-bolt. The other side of the clamp comes threaded, so I only had to drill the one plate. These are a budget stainless holder but at least this way there are no plastic parts to fail and it can’t roll over.

Attachments

• CF22DD82-C9BD-4C15-A295-E93F56A7A85C.jpeg
    CF22DD82-C9BD-4C15-A295-E93F56A7A85C.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 180
All these lost rod stories makes me almost want to tether my rods to the boat!!
I have tethered for years. Between potential rod holder failures and newbies the risk is not worth taking. Mine have a clip so simple to release when you have fish on.

I have tethered for years. Between potential rod holder failures and newbies the risk is not worth taking. Mine have a clip so simple to release when you have fish on.
Pictures of your set up?? Thanks, I like the idea.

Don't trust rodmaster tube holders, they break!
Strikers are the way to go.
ANY on the riggers as ive seen so many times guys REACHING and drag is too tight and poof out of hand it goes when fish is trying to scream line..., or BREAK ( i too lost a set up ) never again striker on the boat all the way now... the products are good but over time it gets brittle. Sorry to hear about this. I think ive seen close to a dozen rods go in this way now over the years...

I watched my Sage fly combo go out the back of my tinny when i was taking a whizz over the stern, my wifey started stripping down to dive in, i asked her what she was thinking the water was 47 degrees, she said she knew what she paid for that combo and no trout was going to have it. We ended up slow trollling back and forth in the shallow bay we were fishing and just by luck she spotted the gold drag knob on the back of the reel , after a few attempts with the oar and me up to my shoulder I managed to snag it and bonk the 5 lber that was trying to ruin my weekend! Ive never lost one in the chuck yet cannonballs and all kinds of gear but no combos yet touch wood. I do feel your pain though hopefully it turns up.

Make you own way cheaper have had these on boat for coming up 20 years NEVER lost a halibut rod (yet) but came close with those old ones that were just a short tube ..I actually caught the rod as it tipped up in air very lucky from that day on always had tethers and striker rod holders
1620767646723.png

Make you own way cheaper have had these on boat for coming up 20 years NEVER lost a halibut rod (yet) but came close with those old ones that were just a short tube ..I actually caught the rod as it tipped up in air very lucky from that day on always had tethers and striker rod holders
View attachment 65598
The way your dog is watching that rod I don't think it will ever get away.

Back