Salmon took my Islander reel

fishing yahtz bay ( directly between masset and Langara) in 2014, a fellow guide lost a blue mr3 at the start of the season, 2 - 3 months later , our dock master got a call from a neighbouring lodge that someone has snagged and returned the reel as it had a name engraved , cleaned , replaced a few parts and the reel worked good as new , albeit a few shades lighter blue .

fishing yahtz bay ( directly between masset and Langara) in 2014, a fellow guide lost a blue mr3 at the start of the season, 2 - 3 months later , our dock master got a call from a neighbouring lodge that someone has snagged and returned the reel as it had a name engraved , cleaned , replaced a few parts and the reel worked good as new , albeit a few shades lighter blue .
I had planned to drop the reel off next week for islander to engrave it. I would feel better knowing that one day I may get it back. Without my engraving its an even bigger shot in the dark.

Hey everyone. I have a bit of a horror story for you. I just got back from taking my dad out to esperanza inlet for my uncles memorial trip (he passed with cancer last year) anyways my girlfriend just bought me a brand new blue islander mr2la reel, obviously saving for a while as i wanted one so bad but never could come up with the extra coin. We got a double header so as always i put my rod in the rod holder and net my dads fish. Well as i ran over to my rod it broke the rod holder and the salmon took my brand new rod and reel to the bottom. To make it worse it was the first connected bite with this new setup. I just wanted to inform you guys incase your fishing in the esperanza inlet/nootka island area and come across it on your lines. It would mean the world to me if found (I knows its next to impossible) this photo was the last time i set eyes on her.
Best of luck. I have heard many stories of people getting rods/reels back after something like this happens. Used to think they were just that, stories, but there are so many of them out there I think it happens more often than you'd think. Still a long shot, I'm sure, but not impossible!

That is a tragedy. I’ve had my Islander/loomins go over the side of the boat due to the original orca holders opening up. In my opinion I would think these people having their boom mounts breaking off your drag must be very tight or the plastic is very old and brittle. Loosen that drag off especially when your leaving it with a fish on! Hopefully it pops up! Stranger things have happened!
Ya, I was just thinking that - how tight must a drag be, or how old must the holders be to have this happen. (probably a combination of both).

That said, I wonder what the average lifespan of a rod holder is... maybe should replace them every X years. (just don't what what "X" is.

I take my holders off the boat and store in my garage when not out, keeping them out of the sun probably will help give them a longer life...

Have had this happen to me, watched my islander and trophy titan rod swim away off south Bowen not from a broken rod holder. Have also had 2 rod holders break and watched rods go swimming I won’t use scottys rod holders anymore for this reason especially the stainless tube style ones on the rigger. Made my own out of AL and no longer have this issue. Hope someone returns your setup!

Ya, I was just thinking that - how tight must a drag be, or how old must the holders be to have this happen. (probably a combination of both).

That said, I wonder what the average lifespan of a rod holder is... maybe should replace them every X years. (just don't what what "X" is.

I take my holders off the boat and store in my garage when not out, keeping them out of the sun probably will help give them a longer life...
I changed mine every 3 years when i was guiding 100 plus days a year just to be safe.

Oh thank god I can post my joke from earlier now...

You'll be able to recognize it from the pinned drag ;)

Had to be old because man that’s a crap load of good quality plastic on those holders. Your drag must have been set pretty darn tight in order for it to break instead of peeling off line.

Not that I don’t believe you by any means but for all of our references it would be good to see a pic of the broken piece. Just we all would know what to keep an eye out for.

Parker Point BC, watched a guest of the neighbouring lodge have a rod & reel (islander) yanked out of their hand by a spring. My guests were teasing them as we passed them. I noticed one of our downrigger's cable was flying back, as if we picked up a mass of kelp. Assumed my guest was too busy taunting to watch their line. So, we pop the rod, and I being up the rigger. Right there, perfectly balanced on the cable was the rod & gold reel. Grabbed the rod, fish was still on , 23lbs. gave the rod back... win - win

MM

Parker Point BC, watched a guest of the neighbouring lodge have a rod & reel (islander) yanked out of their hand by a spring. My guests were teasing them as we passed them. I noticed one of our downrigger's cable was flying back, as if we picked up a mass of kelp. Assumed my guest was too busy taunting to watch their line. So, we pop the rod, and I being up the rigger. Right there, perfectly balanced on the cable was the rod & gold reel. Grabbed the rod, fish was still on , 23lbs. gave the rod back... win - win

MM
Who got the fish? :p

The supplied boom mounted one are ok for a while then they get brittle and go ker-snap. the silver tubes on the hp will do this right away.

i gunnel mounted mine with strikers. i dont think about it anymore. plus they lock.

Attachments

• 58914F00-DB33-4ACC-847D-595D27F0F9B3.jpeg
    58914F00-DB33-4ACC-847D-595D27F0F9B3.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 89D8DA43-C49C-43F6-8D47-9C89A821618B.png
    89D8DA43-C49C-43F6-8D47-9C89A821618B.png
    729.9 KB · Views: 290
Had to be old because man that’s a crap load of good quality plastic on those holders. Your drag must have been set pretty darn tight in order for it to break instead of peeling off line.

Not that I don’t believe you by any means but for all of our references it would be good to see a pic of the broken piece. Just we all would know what to keep an eye out for.
Drag was fine, he was peeling line, im assuming he cut hard to one side and put extra pressure on it, yes they are old holders and will be replacing them all. the scotty part that goes onto the rail mount stripped the plastic teeth off it so the rod portion spun sideways and therefor went out as he pulled once more.

Drag was fine, he was peeling line, im assuming he cut hard to one side and put extra pressure on it, yes they are old holders and will be replacing them all. the scotty part that goes onto the rail mount stripped the plastic teeth off it so the rod portion spun sideways and therefor went out as he pulled once more.
Not many good things to come out of your story except one--should be good for a great 40+pounder story years from now!! Any chance for a claim on household insurance-I've heard stranger things being paid for!

Happened to me last year, teeth sheared right off when buddy was just putting rod back in, he grabbed it, saved my Abel/ technium. I think it’s a combo of age (3yrs) and I find most struggle to get rod out of the boom mounts, they are shaking it when trying to get it out. Doing flush mounts on the gunnels now, so it’s easier for them to get out When lower.

Had a hali bust off my tube mounted Scotty rod holder and my buddy grabbed my hali rod just as as it busted. Switched to Scotty strikers with the steel rod insert mounted on the gunnel. Lesson learned!

i see guys on the boat often lean on them hard without really meaning to. reeling and leaning on them in the swell.

This is why dual tube bases are the way to go. Absolutely nothing that could possibly break. Plus you get two holders right beside your rigger controls. Not the stainless pro model.

I had planned to drop the reel off next week for islander to engrave it. I would feel better knowing that one day I may get it back. Without my engraving its an even bigger shot in the dark.
they could also identify it by the serial number , i know i would sure be happy to have my left Hand retrieve Islander TR3 back , i fell fighting a fish while maneuvering around the centre console fishin in tight at flemming last summer. thought i was over it but this thread rekindled my PTSD.. odds are about the same as winning a powerball lottery but hold onto some hope pal .. i feel your pain.

Not many good things to come out of your story except one--should be good for a great 40+pounder story years from now!! Any chance for a claim on household insurance-I've heard stranger things being paid f

they could also identify it by the serial number , i know i would sure be happy to have my left Hand retrieve Islander TR3 back , i fell fighting a fish while maneuvering around the centre console fishin in tight at flemming last summer. thought i was over it but this thread rekindled my PTSD.. odds are about the same as winning a powerball lottery but hold onto some hope pal .. i feel your pain.
Ya man no doubt, brutal for sure. Best of luck for your return as well

Back