Salmon&Halibut woes: rant/essay/hope for future

Hey Fog, beleive it or not there are still guides out there trying to make a living at this gig. I did for many years and it once was a great time.Lots of money and lots of fish. I would hate to have to rely on it now. As with the construction industry that is coming to a close for many, the same decline in business started years ago for the guides. It's reflective of the times. Not alot of fish left so many will have to transition into some other form of work if they themselves are to prevail. AS for the fish.....well I hope it's not too late for them. I know I OWE</u> them my efforts!

Good points Juandesooka.

When it comes to volunteering, does anyone know of any opportunities to help out in the Sidney area?

Highliner
Fish2-2.gif

Good points Juandesooka.

When it comes to volunteering, does anyone know of any opportunities to help out in the Sidney area?

Highliner
Fish2-2.gif

Highliner: This is the most comprehensive list of salmon enhancement projects I've found on the web:

http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/community/dir/rutherfd_e.htm

There's a bunch in Victoria, see which one's closest to you.

FD: I don't know Andy personally, but know of him from around Sooke. Small town! By the way, like your username, laughed out loud first time I saw it.

Highliner: This is the most comprehensive list of salmon enhancement projects I've found on the web:

http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/community/dir/rutherfd_e.htm

There's a bunch in Victoria, see which one's closest to you.

FD: I don't know Andy personally, but know of him from around Sooke. Small town! By the way, like your username, laughed out loud first time I saw it.

juandesooka; there are a lot of things I would agree or at least partly agree with in your summary. However, I find that in some ways you simplify too much. It's not ok to back down if you are treated unfairly and for no good reason. That's not what you wanna teach your kids. We expect from eachother to act responsibly and such we expect at the least from DFO. There is no reason why they can't make good and educated decisions and there is no justification for the mismanagement in the past and things HAVE TO improve if we want to avoid a situation similar to the East Coast. Unfortunately your honest input into Creel has not provided for an acceptable level of resource management, therefore boycotting it won't change much but maybe throw some good wakes. Unfortunately, good parenting does not compare well with the quality of DFO's resource management. Wish there was consistency and logic behind what they do. You rather deal with a disfunctional couple trying to tear the kids one minute over here and the other minute over there with no clear concept.

Also, if you shut down the fishery for all you won't see too many eager people volunteering time and money for hatcheries or stream restoration projects anymore. They will say: why would I do all this if I am not allowed to harvest any of the fruits anyway... Even in an ever-greening society, non-fishermen have started to realize how much effort angler/fishermen associations contribute towards saving and restoring fish and fish habitat. "Shut-it all down - save the fish" you will hear from only very few and very uneducated...

Hi Chris

Good post, you raise some good arguments.

In the end, I think my main point is to follow the wise words of Henry Rollins: "don't just talk about it, DO IT"...meaning there's too much sitting on the sidelines bitching about what "THEY" are doing to "US". Better to take some responsibility and think through what you can do to improve the situation, even if it goes no further than cleaning up your own act. At least that way, we (you, I) can hold our heads up knowing that we're doing no harm, even if it doesn't go beyond that.

If the aspect that interests you most is the political/DFO issues, then that's fine, but I suggest you think it through politically and strategically. If you want to continue the parenting analogy, standard parent response is to never given in to a tantrum, even if you're wrong (you don't negotiate with terrorists). A well-played refusal to cooperate or blockage type strategy can potentially have a big change in your favour...but anything less and it will backfire and do harm. I can tell you for a fact, recreational anglers do not have any more public support on this issue than commercial, First Nations, or anyone else. Joe and Jane Public see us all as spoiled brats that were given a nice toy and broke it, and now need some consequences, whether that is no more toys or a spanking. So, what I'm saying is, your blockade isn't likely to ignite a storm of public support...this isn't Clayoquot and you're not arguing the "good side" of conservation. The general public DOES NOT see recreational anglers as a victim in all this.

Anyways, refusing to cooperate with DFO may have the result you're hoping for, or it may have the response of "refusal to cooperate highlights the general disdain for conservation", and gives them the fuel they need to just shut it down. Not saying it'll play out that way, but if I was on THEIR side, that's the angle I'd be chasing.

So...back to fishing...I suggest keep focusing on the fun and in the back of your mind also keep thinking of what you can do to make things better. What each of us choose to focus on is an individual decision, but if we all find some way to contribute positively, then things can only get better or at least won't get any worse.

And again, I wish I were fishing today, instead of avoiding chores by typing this post.... ;)

John

Wow, excellent post juandesooka. One of the best and most reasoned articulations of our concerns and frustrations I've seen. I think your outline of the non-fishing public's perception of our plight is bang on.
Thanks for a well thought out summary and dissection of what's been going through my head these past few months.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Back