Salmon&Halibut woes: rant/essay/hope for future

juandesooka

A post that has become an essay…thoughts on all the threads about closures, quotas, conservation, etc … apologies in advance for the length.

We have settled into Fall, and once again this forum has settled into doom and gloom. Last year was the same, with this forum getting pretty depressing until the boats got out in April and fish started coming in. I hope that will be the case again.

Because last year’s doom and gloom didn’t come to pass…for all the talk of potential complete closures, there were a few modifications but mostly it was business as usual. Halibut changes were barely noticeable, fishing was fine and the regs made no different. Salmon changes affected at the margins, but not significantly – and while the salmon fishing was slow, it certainly wasn’t disastrous.

Not saying it won’t be worse this year, maybe it will, maybe it will be better, who knows…but the tone remains the same?

I have some mixed feelings about the debates going on here.

Halibut closure: most people have put their boats away and are done for the year anyway. Those diehards still out there, how much halibut do you really need? I am starting to lean towards a season limit, like for Chinook.

Halibut quota: like it or not, there was a conservation/quota deal worked out years ago, and “our” sector is in contravention…so we’re closed. We knew the rules upfront, so how much complaint can there be about enforcing them? Seems to me the policy is being applied correctly – although disagreeing with the policy is another story and another battle. Keep in mind we are not nearly as restrictive as the US, where it is clear the season lasts only as long as the quota – so recreational fishing is like commercial, everyone races out as quickly as possible to get their share, and then it’s done. Maybe that’s where we’re heading?

Winter spring fishing: it used to be that everyone stopped fishing in Oct, then just a few diehards out there getting a few winter springs for the BBQ. Now there’s a lot more boats out there, even a derby in Sooke, and a lot more pressure on the resource. Is this going to become the next regulated area or closure? No question these are the fish of the future…so I guess the question is fish them all now, fish them all later, or let them alone?

Conservation: there’s a lot of talk on here about “our” fish and our “right” to take them. I see this attitude as what has got us to this problem in the first place. Regardless of international laws, Canadian fishing history, etc., and looking at it from a global ecological perspective, being able to go out and get a salmon from the ocean or a river is a PRIVILEGE not a right. These fish are no more yours than they are some kid’s in Zaire or the food of a killer whale or bear. We should all consider ourselves lucky to have the opportunity at all. In contrast, a whole bunch of people in a room all shouting about their right to take their share, and their willingness to take it no matter what … as much as I love fishing, it gives me a sick feeling in my gut. And I’m telling you, the average non-fisherman has no understanding or patience for this attitude… the most common response I hear is “shut it all down, save the fish”. In our greening political climate, the more people that say this, the more likelihood NONE of us will be fishing salmon or halibut in future, whether recreational, commercial, or First Nations. Because if we’re all going to continue taking all we can until there’s nothing left, then someone in power with some cojones will eventually say ENOUGH and put an end to it – see East Coast for an example.

Creel surveys: for all the arguments about DFO incompetence, they are the only possible guardians of our fishing resource. Mismanagement will mean we ALL lose – have look at the east coast fishery for an example of what over-fishing does. The cod are gone FOREVER. Good management requires good information…bad information will almost always result in bad decisions. The voluntary creel surveys help DFO to make better decisions… and even if DFO makes some poor decisions, withholding this information can only hurt the resource. Honestly, if I was a DFO bigwig, and I had a bunch of recreational fisherman yelling at me that they are going to withhold catch information, I think the easiest response would be “fine, if you’re not going to help conservation and protection efforts, then it is CLOSED, PERIOD. Better to err on the side of caution”. And I hate to say it, this may be the most appropriate response…because as a parent of young children, this sounds a lot like those toy sharing tantrums, and I know how these are best dealt with. Ignore the behavior / don't engage, set the ground rules, and if they are not followed, act swiftly, decisively, and consistently.

So, that’s a big long rant about things I see wrong. Switching gears into trying to be constructive, what can we (me, you) do?

-- Do something positive where you can – there are numerous volunteer organizations dedicated to saving salmon. Stop bitching and moaning and GET INVOLVED…put that negative energy into something positive. If you don’t have time to volunteer, then donate money so that those who do can be more effective.

-- Add your voice to a collective: join SFIBC or another group, so that recreational fishing has a real voice in the discussions. Put in your vote for responsible leadership…guardians of the resource, not just lobbyists for a bigger piece of the pie. Look at how to best protect the resource as a whole, while also protecting your interests.

-- Think empathy: see the world through other’s eyes -- put yourself in the place of the person on the other side of the table, what are their interests and needs, how can you work towards a solution where you both get what you need? If everyone would or could think this way, a lot of this mess wouldn’t be here. The “me first, F*** the rest” attitude is what’s killing fishing and the world.

-- Get out there and go fishing: even if you don't catch anything, get some fresh air, enjoy nature, take a deep breath and look at the BIG PICTURE! [need to take my own advice here, trapped at this computer for now... [xx(]]

<Phew>…that’s a lot more than I intended to write, but there’s a lot going on.

I hope this adds to the discussion productively.

That is enough to bring me back to a site that I thought had not much left to offer.
Obviously some people with the right intentions still out there.

Thank you for taking the time to share and I hope there are many more with similar ideas.

Very well said!

That is enough to bring me back to a site that I thought had not much left to offer.
Obviously some people with the right intentions still out there.

Thank you for taking the time to share and I hope there are many more with similar ideas.

Very well said!

Excellent post!
However, if I may add one comment of my own, the quantity of the resource that sportfishermen take is very small. We're looking at 12% of the halibut and (I believe) the figure for salmon is around 8% or maybe even 10%. The restrictions put upon us (limits and closed seasons) really is ridiculous considering the our limited take. We're talking about '6 pack Joe', who just wants to go out and get a fish or crustation of some type on the weekend.
The commercial fleet has been the single biggest factor in the decline of the stocks (of everything) on the west coast (as was the case on the east coast).
Just ask those old timers who remember what Cowichan Bay was like before the commercal fleet moved in.
Sportfishermen never have and never will have a significant impact on the resource. Period

Excellent post!
However, if I may add one comment of my own, the quantity of the resource that sportfishermen take is very small. We're looking at 12% of the halibut and (I believe) the figure for salmon is around 8% or maybe even 10%. The restrictions put upon us (limits and closed seasons) really is ridiculous considering the our limited take. We're talking about '6 pack Joe', who just wants to go out and get a fish or crustation of some type on the weekend.
The commercial fleet has been the single biggest factor in the decline of the stocks (of everything) on the west coast (as was the case on the east coast).
Just ask those old timers who remember what Cowichan Bay was like before the commercal fleet moved in.
Sportfishermen never have and never will have a significant impact on the resource. Period

Good post. I don't want to stir things up however I do have a burr under my saddle about one thing (well maybe more but here is one) There are quite a few commercial guys (and I don't want to crap on the commercial fishermen) that no longer bother to fish their quota/license themselves and simply lease out their quota (as is fairly common with halibut) or just let someone else fish their boat. The sporties on the other hand can not just pass their license on to someone else and let them fish it...... I am wondering with all the talk about the sports fishery buying commerical quota if putting a stop to the leasing out of commercial quota might not encourage the sale of commercial quota to the sports fishery that want to personally utilize the resource......... Seems to me that both groups win, the commercial boys get hopefully a fair market price/ready buyer for their quota in the case of halibut and the sport guys/guides get to fish more......:):) SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Good post. I don't want to stir things up however I do have a burr under my saddle about one thing (well maybe more but here is one) There are quite a few commercial guys (and I don't want to crap on the commercial fishermen) that no longer bother to fish their quota/license themselves and simply lease out their quota (as is fairly common with halibut) or just let someone else fish their boat. The sporties on the other hand can not just pass their license on to someone else and let them fish it...... I am wondering with all the talk about the sports fishery buying commerical quota if putting a stop to the leasing out of commercial quota might not encourage the sale of commercial quota to the sports fishery that want to personally utilize the resource......... Seems to me that both groups win, the commercial boys get hopefully a fair market price/ready buyer for their quota in the case of halibut and the sport guys/guides get to fish more......:):) SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Hey SS I have the solution to your problem!
quote:The sporties on the other hand can not just pass their license on to someone else and let them fish it......

Just give me the keys to your tax haven Casa in Belize and you can have MY license!! Just dont tell the boys in green! Only sightly used this year...(well at least for salmon) Good until April too!! Such a deal! Since I am a nice guy I will even take your "boyz" with me when you get tired of them wrecking your abode in Comox!!!:D:D:D Do I have to bring them back???? [:I]

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hey SS I have the solution to your problem!
quote:The sporties on the other hand can not just pass their license on to someone else and let them fish it......

Just give me the keys to your tax haven Casa in Belize and you can have MY license!! Just dont tell the boys in green! Only sightly used this year...(well at least for salmon) Good until April too!! Such a deal! Since I am a nice guy I will even take your "boyz" with me when you get tired of them wrecking your abode in Comox!!!:D:D:D Do I have to bring them back???? [:I]

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Juandesooka , Very well said ,that's awesome , I am going to think that there is a huge number of of us that fully agree with your insight , just not wanting to share it, as one might be attacked on his or hers opinion on this, or other forums . Yes it must be our off season !! I agree Creel Survey's should be left in place , I think it is probably to the Sports Fishers advantage . Sounds like there are alot of members on this forum that are from the Lower South Island areas. I fish the Barkley Sound area mostly , I see a fare number of fish that come in to several areas with in the Sound , I rarely see any Creel Survey counts, I question how accurate these counts to the DFO actually are , you know what i mean . I do quite well in our area for Halibut , on average , I take 8 - 10 Chicken Halibut a year for my family , I see Sporties out there , that have never landed a Hali , and yet I see there boats right on top of the fish !! It seems that the people that do well for Hali , are Locals , Guy's that go there a few times a year , and mostly , The Guides .With the recent closure to All Sporties for Halibut , your right , how many of us are fishing these few months to come !! unless you maybe live there , South island ,this is where the annual limit would come into play, assuming most would have their max by November !! The Commercial to Sporty split of our Annual catch on these fish " Is What It Is !! ( thanks # 44 ) We need to share our Sporty Quota fairly, between the guy's that just go once or twice a year , guy's like myself that have a Seasonal , lastly , the Guides. I don't think there are Guides out there that make a living out of doing this , or at least I hope not , it should be about using there Expert Knowledge, to a handful of customers , and put them into the fish ,That's what they get paid to do !! These Bookings should help pay some bills towards there boats maitanance and gear etc..I agree, I also agree that we should have a annual Quota on Halibut, to all, we should maybe put a annual limit on Sporties , Sports Commercial Fisherman "Boats" !! a maximum number per boat annually , I don't know the number , but a number. Yes this will **** off alot of guides , but welcome to our dilemma .We can only control our share of the Sports sector, and Guides fall in that category, with us !! I have alot of Guide Buddy's in BC , I have no problem with what they do , How could you , Fish , and get paid for it , Sweet, Who Wouldn't . The Bottom line here is , The Quotas are not going to change in the near future ,( Maybe they will )if not ,we need to work this out amongst " ALL" Sports Fishers .I don't know about most , I just love being out there with my bro's !! Please don't throw downrigger ball's at my boat when you see me [B)][B)][B)], it's just my take , Cheers ;) , FD
p.s. Juandasooka , I fished Sooke alot a few years back , still go once and awhile , love it there , If ya know Andy at SS Campground , say hello for me.

the Fog Ducker

IMG_1356-1-1.jpg

Juandesooka , Very well said ,that's awesome , I am going to think that there is a huge number of of us that fully agree with your insight , just not wanting to share it, as one might be attacked on his or hers opinion on this, or other forums . Yes it must be our off season !! I agree Creel Survey's should be left in place , I think it is probably to the Sports Fishers advantage . Sounds like there are alot of members on this forum that are from the Lower South Island areas. I fish the Barkley Sound area mostly , I see a fare number of fish that come in to several areas with in the Sound , I rarely see any Creel Survey counts, I question how accurate these counts to the DFO actually are , you know what i mean . I do quite well in our area for Halibut , on average , I take 8 - 10 Chicken Halibut a year for my family , I see Sporties out there , that have never landed a Hali , and yet I see there boats right on top of the fish !! It seems that the people that do well for Hali , are Locals , Guy's that go there a few times a year , and mostly , The Guides .With the recent closure to All Sporties for Halibut , your right , how many of us are fishing these few months to come !! unless you maybe live there , South island ,this is where the annual limit would come into play, assuming most would have their max by November !! The Commercial to Sporty split of our Annual catch on these fish " Is What It Is !! ( thanks # 44 ) We need to share our Sporty Quota fairly, between the guy's that just go once or twice a year , guy's like myself that have a Seasonal , lastly , the Guides. I don't think there are Guides out there that make a living out of doing this , or at least I hope not , it should be about using there Expert Knowledge, to a handful of customers , and put them into the fish ,That's what they get paid to do !! These Bookings should help pay some bills towards there boats maitanance and gear etc..I agree, I also agree that we should have a annual Quota on Halibut, to all, we should maybe put a annual limit on Sporties , Sports Commercial Fisherman "Boats" !! a maximum number per boat annually , I don't know the number , but a number. Yes this will **** off alot of guides , but welcome to our dilemma .We can only control our share of the Sports sector, and Guides fall in that category, with us !! I have alot of Guide Buddy's in BC , I have no problem with what they do , How could you , Fish , and get paid for it , Sweet, Who Wouldn't . The Bottom line here is , The Quotas are not going to change in the near future ,( Maybe they will )if not ,we need to work this out amongst " ALL" Sports Fishers .I don't know about most , I just love being out there with my bro's !! Please don't throw downrigger ball's at my boat when you see me [B)][B)][B)], it's just my take , Cheers ;) , FD
p.s. Juandasooka , I fished Sooke alot a few years back , still go once and awhile , love it there , If ya know Andy at SS Campground , say hello for me.

the Fog Ducker

IMG_1356-1-1.jpg

Hey CL, correct me if I am wrong but are you the fella of Outdoor Edge fame.......... It will take more than a 254.7 lb hali to keep my "Siamese Boyz" fed for the winter...:( Nice try....:D Whoops, sorry to get off topic........SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Hey CL, correct me if I am wrong but are you the fella of Outdoor Edge fame.......... It will take more than a 254.7 lb hali to keep my "Siamese Boyz" fed for the winter...:( Nice try....:D Whoops, sorry to get off topic........SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Hey Fog, beleive it or not there are still guides out there trying to make a living at this gig. I did for many years and it once was a great time.Lots of money and lots of fish. I would hate to have to rely on it now. As with the construction industry that is coming to a close for many, the same decline in business started years ago for the guides. It's reflective of the times. Not alot of fish left so many will have to transition into some other form of work if they themselves are to prevail. AS for the fish.....well I hope it's not too late for them. I know I OWE</u> them my efforts!

Back