Salmon fishing suggestions

T

tpggolf

HI Im new to this forum, but it definitely has tons of great information. I am looking for advice as to where I should go salmon fishing next summer. I have a 18 ft aluminum fishing boat made for inside waters, electric downriggers, full canvas, 90 hp. I dont feel over confident in my big ocean water skills and my boat is not big enough in my opinion for big water. I am hoping to put my Dad on to some nice salmon next summer and I would be towing over from eastern B.C. I am looking for some good ideas as to when, and where to go. I was thinking Bamfield, but have never fished there. Any help or other alternatives would be appeciated. Thanks.

What month of the summer? That can make a big difference,also what do you want to target?Springs,coho, sockeye?Give us a little more info and we'll help you out.DAN

I was hoping for maybe August in sheltered waters somewhere, hopefully springs, but am not too picky. I know its not a pink year next year. August, September are fine. Im just not sure how many areas in sheltered waters are good fishing worth travelling 8-10 hrs for. Just looking for a little adice on where during August or Sept. I really want to put my Dad on some type of salmon. THanks

You're best bet is Alberni inlet last week of August.Nice safe place to fish.You can camp out at China Creek,it's maybe a half hour drive out of town,it also has gas,and you can start fishing right off the end of the breakwater.It's a crack of dawn bite generally,and it's usally calm till around 11 am.Try not to camp out on the gravel in the exposed area you'll get blown back to town.Use the search function upper right and there should be plenty of info about the inlet.DAN

I would even venture a little further out. Fishing in Barkley Sound at the mouth of the Alberni inlet can be spectacular at that time of year. It is a long way to haul a boat on a gravel road though. I always launch in port alberni then run out to "The Sound". If the weather gets a lil windy you can always fish behind or on the other side of the islands.

quote:Originally posted by tpggolf

HI Im new to this forum, but it definitely has tons of great information. I am looking for advice as to where I should go salmon fishing next summer. I have a 18 ft aluminum fishing boat made for inside waters, electric downriggers, full canvas, 90 hp. I dont feel over confident in my big ocean water skills and my boat is not big enough in my opinion for big water. I am hoping to put my Dad on to some nice salmon next summer and I would be towing over from eastern B.C. I am looking for some good ideas as to when, and where to go. I was thinking Bamfield, but have never fished there. Any help or other alternatives would be appeciated. Thanks.

Bamfield would be ideal. Plenty of protection and tons of fishing spots to hit. Its really the best protected and easy to access spot on the west coast of the island.

Thanks for the info guys. Any bit of help is always great. I take it that Campbell river is not as good. Nobody has mentioned it. Are the fishing grounds close to Bamfield if u choose to fish the sound.

You can turn right coming out of Bamfield and fish the wall,or even run down to pill point, turn left and fish up towards the blow hole or whittlestone'or run across to one of the islands,if you have limited experience stick close to Bamfield till you figure it out,you have to be a little more mobile to fish that area,whereas in the inlet by china creek its pretty basic where they are.Either place is good.DAN

Thanks Dan for the info. Do you know how long of a run it is by boat from china creek to poett nook?

It might just be me,, but Aug is Sooke time.. I have fished this coast from top to bottom and you can't beet Sooke when the fish are there... The next best is Nootka,, but the time frame is tight.. All in all Sooke is you're best bet,, but hey don't take my word for it.. You have to spend the bucks and try and fail as I have through the years......,

I know some of the boys on this board have spent big bucks to chace the King,, and never got em or even had as good as chance as can be had in Sooke

Hey walleyes, can u fish Sooke with a 18ft aluminum 90 hp safely?

China Creek to Poetts nook about half an hour or so,Yeah Sooke is good but it can get rough,depending on tides and wind, and will be FOGGY in August,You should have some experience in those conditions, once you understand the tide changes and winds you'll know what to expect, so I took your original post as not wanting to fish in that situation.18 foot aluminum is fine as long as it is a seaworthy boat not sure what you mean by inside waters?DAN

Thanks again Dan. I meant inside in like the Puget Sound or Barkley Sound. I have only fished a few times on the West Coast and that was in the states across from Sooke in Sekiu. It was fairly calm there but it was a little foggy and lucked out with no wind. Just like a big lake.

Yeah it can be flat calm out there or it can blow for weeks on end,usally is not too bad in August,the canal you can be pretty much sure that it will be flat till around 11 am,then it will blow.Good luck either place is good.DAN

Hey tp...

Welcome to the forum. As Walleyes says, Sooke is hard to beat in Aug. (although it seems to be beating me so far...)

Here's a suggestion:

1) Have your boat ready in the water at Sunny Shores Marina about a half hour before daybreak. Have high-powered bino's as well.

2) Watch for 'Wolf', but don't stare or ask for autographs. Appear to be busy with something else.

3) When he heads out - follow him at 200-yds astern. While pretending to be bird-watching, use the bino's to see what he's using for bait ect.

4) Do what he does and you will catch fish. Maybe even 'Mr. Big!'

Cheers,
Terry

Now thats funny thanks Terry made me laugh today!!!!

Wolf

Back