Salmon Fishing in Tofino - Best way to catch the big ones.

JohnFRWhipple

I went out fishing yesterday with Captain Jeff Hale from Braedy Mack Charters in Tofino. I wanted to catch a couple of Salmon and after a quick stop for my fishing license and Salmon Stamp we where off racing out to Jeff's favourite spots off shore near Tofino, B.C.

CaptainJeffHaleBraedyMackCharters.jpg

Captain Jeff Hale in Action

Jeff's new boat was a dream ride and the weather conditions where perfect. I asked a ton of questions and Jeff got me set up and ready to reel in some Salmon. I snapped a picture of the two rods set and ready for fish and it was not even ten minutes and we had fish on both rods. All day long the chatter came across the radio and Jeff and his buddies bounced back an forth what was working and a what depth.

I was amazed at home quick Jeff was and how he managed to keep an eye on what I was doing and reel in the other line.

I had a fantastic trip and look forward to going next year with my girls.

FishinginTofino.jpg

Fishing in Tofino for Salmon

It amazed me that such communication happened so quickly and how fast Jeff adjusted his gear. We had not had a bite for about 30 minutes (we where catching and releasing all day) and a text came in to try out the "Watermelon" at 37 feet. Jeff switched the lure and it was not even 5 minutes before we had a fish on.

I love the names for all the lures. If your looking for a good fishing charter in Tofino I would recommend Jeff at Braedy Mack Charters.

What are some of the names of the other Lures you captains use out looking for "Hogs" in Tofino? These two Salmon where a good 20 pounds off from being an official Hog and I think Jeff said they where either Coho's or Chinooks. Can anyone tell me from the picture?

Best,

John Whipple
By Any Design Ltd.
(604) 506 6792

Last edited by a moderator:
Both look to have "black mouths" with a squarish tail with some spots. These are Chinooks. Coho are more streamlined and silvery, are not black mouthed, though the tongue is, and have basically no spots on the tail.

Some other spoons: Cop Car (black and white) Army Truck (black to olive green to pink to white), 50 / 50 (silver gold), Gator (Gibbs product), etc.

I see he's using a Tomic 500-a long time mainstay of the commercial fleeet (and more popular with the sporties of late than ever before).

As soon as I saw that back seat I knew it was a 25ft Pursuit...beautiful vessel, almost got it instead of our 27 Grady but price became a factor...next boat will be a Pursuit for sure though

Thanks guys.

I had so much fun fishing up in Tofino. I hear the fishing has been fantastic. Lots of smiles and stories when we came into dock to clean and pack up the fish.

I asked Jeff if anyone has dropped his fishing rods in the ocean and he said very clearly "No one has" but so many people ask that question. He told me about his buddy who also runs a fishing charter that on one charter the client was winding in the fish and the fish was trying to run. The guide yelled "Let it go, Let it go" and the guest did just that. Let the rod go.... LOL

How pissed would you be if it was your rod and reel that just dropped overboard.

I had a death grip of those new rods of Jeff's. I was for sure not going to be the first guy to loose a rod on the Braedy Mack!

DownRiggerSportFishingTofino.png

I'm glad I didn't need to lift the rods out of the down riggers!

I think Jeff told me that the guy who invented these little down riggers no longer needs to fish for a living. I remember something as well about the rigger auto pulling and dropping a 20 pound weight. The rods look great ready to snap like that!

We just had our first portion of Salmon tonight. Outstanding. Nothing better than fresh local Salmon.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:
Back