Salmon farm feature on GLOBAL TV -NEWS Hour

Peahead

Good to see a feature about sustainable salmon farming using closed containment ( land based ) salmon farming practices. Global TV News Hour featured the piece on how Overwaite/Save On Foods has 'gone green' by offering only sustainably farmed salmon. The Washington state based company, Sweat Spring Salmon, is providing the grocery chain with coho salmon farmed in a closed containment facility. The feature also showed customers at the store being educated about closed containment farming and how the process protects from damaging the environment and wild salmon (as it does with open net pen farming in the ocean). Save On Foods also pointed out that the price their customers pay for this sustainably farmed salmon was exactly the same as the ocean net pen raised fish. This is a big plus as consumers have no reason not to buy it if the salmon is the same price !! The Susuki Foundation anounced on the news feature that they will provide funding to those salmon farms in BC that would like to do testing of this sustainable farming. :):)

I figure if consumers insist only on buying sustainably farmed salmon, open net pen farming will eventually cease to exist even if government doesn't mandate it.

Hmmm... according to sockeyefry and Co it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to raise farmed salmon in land based fish farms for the same cost as net pen fish!!! Would you finally believe it, if he says so!!???[}:)]

If you do try to find out more? Sweet Spring Salmon brand is "AquaSeed".

I find this very interesting! :D:D

Let's see if I got this right? This is kind of the history as I remember. That is the Domsea Coho. Domsea Coho have been around since the 60's, one of the first (if not the first) fish farms here in Washington. AquaSeed bought the rights from Campbell Soup. But, the interesting thing is Campbell Soup bought them off Union Carbide along with their fish farms. Campbell Soup then sells their farms to what is now called “Marine Harvest”. Marine Harvest didn't really want anything to do with Coho or buy the rights, so Campbell Soup keeps those rights... moves the Coho to Idaho. Marine Harvest turns all the Coho pens into Atlantic. Then losses their butts, has to sell some assets, which they chose to be those pens. A Washington Company buys those.… turns the Atlantic pens into a profit. Then here comes AquaSeed, who leases the original Coho site. AquaSeed who then turns that back into Coho pens, developes it into a closed cantainment "fresh" water site... And now, AquaSeed is setting on a site that "used" to be owned by Marine Harvest, producing fresh water environmental friendly “Coho” and selling their salmon product right "on" Marine Harvest's "backdoor" STEP!

With all their knowledge and infinite wisdom... Marine Harvest really "blew" that one! IMHO!

Boy, what a BIG “slap” in their face… Yea, I love it! [:0][:0][B)][B)]:D:D

Excellent to see some good progress on moving towards closed containment fish farms.:D
I hope we all keep the pressure up to ensure that all salmon farms move in this environmentally sustainable direction.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Back