Salmon farm eviction notice delivered by First Nation Leaders!

the question is not does or doesn't the fish farm have disease. any animal that lives in close quarters to one another is going to spread disease onto one another. the accusations are that fish farms spread disease onto wild stocks. i'm just asking if there is any proof of this..
yes - in the Atlantic - quite a bit of proof: IPN, ISA, PRV, parasites, etc. In the Pacific - CFIA still claims the weak positives are "false" positives - for the reasons outlined earlier in this thread. This despite the viruses found being closely related to the Norwegian strains. No big mystery how that happened.

the question is not does or doesn't the fish farm have disease. any animal that lives in close quarters to one another is going to spread disease onto one another. the accusations are that fish farms spread disease onto wild stocks. i'm just asking if there is any proof of this.
i didn't ask for a million samples just evidence that this accusation against fish farms is true if its not then...

Oh? I thought you asked where the dead fish are?

i don't support the industry i just ask a few questions about the claims made against the industry. FISH FARMS are killing wild stocks for sure but in my opinion INDIRECTlY.
the person that stamped the approval of atlantic salmon should have been fired. the government should be stepping up and supporting the industry by giving money out to help transfer open pens to land locked closed loop systems, etc ,etc. to tell an industry that produces 130 metric tons (of protein) a year and produces that with very little carbon footprint. that they need to close shop with out evidence seems unfair.
They catch 5 to 1 in fish weght of other baitfish and pelletize it into feed to produce their farmfish. Seems like quite a footprint on a few fronts to me.

yes - in the Atlantic - quite a bit of proof: IPN, ISA, PRV, parasites, etc. In the Pacific - CFIA still claims the weak positives are "false" positives - for the reasons outlined earlier in this thread. This despite the viruses found being closely related to the Norwegian strains. No big mystery how that happened.
bones, did you notice the sly way AA answered your question? The truth is after nearly 40 years of salmon farming here in BC and Washington, there have been no, that is none, documented cases of disease transfer from farmed Atlantics to wild Pacifics. This speaks volumes of the skill people like Morton have in manipulating the public and spreading misinformation.

People who are not around the Fraser river FN net fishery like to use fish farms as a scapegoat for the missing fish...
Imagine Suzuki actually saw the events that happen on the Fraser.

bones, did you notice the sly way AA answered your question? The truth is after nearly 40 years of salmon farming here in BC and Washington, there have been no, that is none, documented cases of disease transfer from farmed Atlantics to wild Pacifics. This speaks volumes of the skill people like Morton have in manipulating the public and spreading misinformation.
Thanks for the "complement" Dave. The reality surrounding how CFIA "confirms" reportable disease viruses (or not) actually has nothing to do with me - although thanks for support in the suggestions that I have all that power.

I also have my own sources of information outside of the big bad bogeyman/woman. People who oppose the lack of risk management and honesty over impacts from the open net-cage technology and post on this forum - actually do have their own brains (no surprise there) - and all of DFO and the federal government is supposed to follow the precautionary approach - including those from DFO who post on this forum.

I consider anyone who thinks the Pacific Ocean is somehow immune from the same problems as the Atlantic presumably due to some "magic wand" held by the PR firms of the BCSFA - deluded and/or naive and irresponsible. I certainly wouldn't expect this perspective from our professional fish farm regulators. yet, somehow - that perspective exists in the aquaculture branch of DFO; and apparently in a few, rare individuals in DFO that consider that their attachments to their coworkers in the aquaculture branch precludes them from using their own common sense and precautionary approach - thereby avoiding being responsible public servants and regulators.

Last edited:
People who are not around the Fraser river FN net fishery like to use fish farms as a scapegoat for the missing fish...
This thread is about Fish Farm Evictions if you have evidence regarding missing fish and Fraser river FN net fishery start another thread and post it there.

post up some pics or something to back up what your saying. You sound like the pro farm guys. Lots of talk but no proof.
Or at least none they wanna share

Last edited:
The tracking research, in which fish are implanted with tiny batteries that allow scientists to map where they go, shows that the Strait of Georgia, Johnstone Strait and the Strait of Juan de Fuca are where many of the fish die. That’s also where many fish farms are located. But Riddell agreed that it’s “too early to tell” whether fish farms are affecting wild fish populations.

That research shows that only around 10 to 15 per cent of the tracked fish are surviving by the time they migrate to the top of Queen Charlotte Sound.
Not many left to come back when you consider 85 to 90% don't even make it out into the open ocean.

If someone wears a white shirt - and someone else wears rose-coloured glasses - that shirt might appear red to the person wearing the glasses. I can assure you that I don't buy the standard red/blue shirts off the rack - nor those with a Sea Shepherd or Cermaq logo neither. Whatever colour shirt I wear is associated with open and transparent decision-making and open and public fish health reporting - along with a consensus-based governance and environmental assessment models. Team wild salmon is my "team" - as it is for many others on this forum - as it should be for our regulators - some of which have forgotten who they work for.
Point taken....but that "glasses" analogy can go both ways. I can say that I don't buy the standard t-shirts of those you mention either so we have something in common there. Those that you disagree with also support wild salmon, but our view point on conclusions, theories raised differ and how we progress from this point on differs. My response to your remark about regulators would be this: I feel that some have come to preconceived conclusions and will never be satisfied until regulators' policy aligns with their views - even if those preconceived conclusions are shown to be incorrect. The mandate letter to the minister supports fact based research; however, some critics have forgotten what that really is.

As Hambone mentioned - fish normally sink when dead - not float. That's why the industry hires mort divers. This topic of fish sinking when dead was covered on one of the other threads about the Fraser River die-offs.

Yes and no as water temperature plays a role in availability of carcasses on the surface. To take this outside of the net pen aspect, although carcass recovery sounds pretty straightforward it is not (generally speaking here - not directed at you). You have river and lake turbidity, high water events, predation (i.e. bears, eagles, etc.) and frequency of surveys for starters as factors. Nature's divers (i.e. bears) are hard at work this season. They literally dive into deep pools to grab salmon carcasses. Amazing to see.

Back