Salish Sea

Nimo

Per the TC:
Strait talk: Salish Sea may someday separate Island from mainland
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Sunday, March 09, 2008
By George! There's talk of renaming Strait of Georgia the Salish Sea.

A representative of the Chemainus First Nations this week put the idea to Aboriginal Relations Minister Mike de Jong, who thinks it's an idea worth exploring.

"Quite honestly I like the sound of it," de Jong said yesterday following a meeting of the First Nations Summit, where George Harris raised the idea. "It is descriptive of the geographic location of the body of water, and I also think it recognizes the history of our province extends further than 150 years."

Aaah ya?, no, no , no...Georgia will always be on my mind[8D]

Its not a sea,its a strait...Leave it the way it is and put the huge dollars it would cost to change everything to the new name into fish enhancement..[8D]

Cheers,

Complete non-sense. It is and should remain Georgia Straight.

Fishing Guide

I am Canadian. Let's go fishing, eh!

Some people have nothing better to do than come up with silly s***t like this. To the people putting the idea forward, cost is not an issue. They get everything paid for. And for the honorable elected members that support it, it is just another vote grab. In the end it's the average bear (fisherman)that foots the bill.

Do I dare mention the words "Carbon Tax". Need to go now before I really get going.

Think I'll go fishing and relax.

It is not a "Sea".. I have no problem with name changing, as it fits... This does not. If native interests are involved, thats fine. To declare a sheltered waterway a "Sea" ... not so much.

Doesnt the Government have better things to do? This is stupid.Anything that will make the 5,6 oclock news they deem worthy.

Lets go fishing

Lance

Makes as much sense as renaming Skirt Mountain to Bear Mountain.
My two cents. Over and out Fah Cups

Some people call it a Gulf though... I always thought that was a little odd.

rediculous but not overly surprising.

these days nothing is set in stone anymore. Hell there's even a push from local politicians in the metro vancouver area to rename the province to "Cascadia" or some other stupid name.

This province was built - yes BUILT- as British Columbia. Prior to that was a bunch of small and scattered communites (I find it difficult to describe 5-10,000 people as a nation) of aboriginals.

These groups could be friendly or war-like with their neighbouring communities at any point in time during their history. It included much in the way of co-operation, trade,and at times slavery, and war.

Sorry gents rant over. :(

Back