Safe to eat ?

You probably breath more pollutants in getting stuck behind a diesel truck for 1 minute or the whiff of gas everytime you fill up your car. How about the pesticides your veggies are sprayed with or the fertilizer it took to grow them or gas used to gas them to ripen or not ripen.
A very good point. However the less bad things you expose yourself to the better

how long is that trout living in the lead riddin lake for? mabey a year? you probably get more lead in your system sharpening a pencil or visiting your grandmas old house with the lead based paint. As for plastic I guess you dont drink out of water bottles or pop bottles or eat anything out of a can or wear fleece use saran wrap..

I hope you don't fish in JDF strait, you know, with all the raw sewage and whatnot. blecchhhttttttt

Relax. I am not claiming to be an expert, I am just expressing my opinions.

Falcon1, this is not a subject for "opinion" like politics or literature. This is a subject for fact and science. Again, where is your link to detailed water chemistry analysis? Where is your link to the results of analysis of fish tissue samples? Where is the Health Advisory issues by Ministry of Environment or Provincial Health Officer??

If people throw junk in a lake, then the chemicals from the plastic (I hope you are not going to tell me plastic has no chemicals) leech into the water. Also, in a small body of water, pollutants collect easier than in salt water simply because of the size involved.

You imply there are tons of plastic in Elk lake which is not true. There would have to be for your implication to have any truth. The amount of leaching from plastic is TINY, otherwise there would be no food in plastic bags, no plastic milk jugs and no plastic water bottles!! Again where is your water chemistry analysis?!

I must also point out that unsanitary does not mean "sewage". If a restaurant used unwashed or dirty plates, that would be considered unsanitary. And with level of risk, does it matter? If there is an unnessesary risk, why take it when there are alternatives.

"Unnecessary risk" is a relative term. You have to define the level of risk in a quantifiable way to understand whether there is any validity to your vague assertion. Otherwise I can say do not go out outside because you run the "unnecessary risk" of getting struck by lightning. Clearly the term unnecessary risk is ridiculous in this case because the chances are extremely low. So you have to define the level of risk before making any decision about it. Opinion does not cut it!!

I suspect Kildonan has not died for the same reason you have not died because you eat tuna. Bad for you does not mean will kill you. Mercury and other heavy metals (such as the lead found in fishing weights) collect in your brain tissue. You cannot burn them off, you cannot take drugs to get rid of them. Large ammounts of mercury or lead in your brain will not cause immediate problems, but may lead to cancer later in life.

I understand about bio-accumulation of heavy metals. That is why mine tailings are so toxic to the environment. However, as far as I am aware there are no mines near Elk lake!!. Again where is your water chemistry analysis to back up your claims? I would also point out Elk lake is a stocked lake and so most of the trout do not even live there for more than a few months......

I'll put it this way.
Lead fishing weight (lost tackle) sitting in lake-breaks down slowly-molecules collect on small life forms (algae etc)-eaten by increasingly larger species-eaten by trout-trout eaten by human and hey presto. Lead in your system. Times that by hundreds of lost weights and however many other chemicals are in that trout... Is that scientific enough, or do I need to use words like bioaccumulation and biomagnification. Both terms are relevant.

The amount of lead leached from metallic lead is tiny. Most of the scary stuff you have read about lead poisoning comes from ingestion of water soluble lead compounds like in paint, or lead tetra-ethyl formerly used in gasoline way back when. You are quoting bits of science without offering any evidence that the processes (which you have a partial understanding of) are actually happening in Southern VI lakes!! Again where is the Health Advisory? And again I point out the trout are in there for a few months, not years and years, so there is not time for bio-accumulation to occur!!

I didn't post of this thread to argue with you, I posted to offer my point of view to someone who wanted information.

Cobradriver did not ask for opinion or hearsay. He correctly wanted LINKS to actual FACTS. You have offered none except for your own (admittedly humorous :)) link to you own post. You are still offering vague notions and accusations about what you believe is happening in VI lakes without any scientific evidence. Belief without evidence is ignorant superstition.

Last edited by a moderator:
an interesting read for sure, haha...

I think a lot of it has to do with mental fortitude - if one thinks the lake is dirty, they will think the fish tastes dirty anyways. I personally like my west coast salmon for the reason that the water is so pure, as opposed to my local Nanaimo fish... kidding of course.

Falcon1, this is not a subject for "opinion" like politics or literature. This is a subject for fact and science. Again, where is your link to detailed water chemistry analysis? Where is your link to the results of analysis of fish tissue samples? Where is the Health Advisory issues by Ministry of Environment or Provincial Health Officer??

You imply there are tons of plastic in Elk lake which is not true. There would have to be for your implication to have any truth. The amount of leaching from plastic is TINY, otherwise there would be no food in plastic bags, no plastic milk jugs and no plastic water bottles!! Again where is your water chemistry analysis?!

"Unnecessary risk" is a relative term. You have to define the level of risk in a quantifiable way to understand whether there is any validity to your vague assertion. Otherwise I can say do not go out outside because you run the "unnecessary risk" of getting struck by lightning. Clearly the term unnecessary risk is ridiculous in this case because the chances are extremely low. So you have to define the level of risk before making any decision about it. Opinion does not cut it!!

I understand about bio-accumulation of heavy metals. That is why mine tailings are so toxic to the environment. However, as far as I am aware there are no mines near Elk lake!!. Again where is your water chemistry analysis to back up your claims? I would also point out Elk lake is a stocked lake and so most of the trout do not even live there for more than a few months......

The amount of lead leached from metallic lead is tiny. Most of the scary stuff you have read about lead poisoning comes from ingestion of water soluble lead compounds like in paint, or lead tetra-ethyl formerly used in gasoline way back when. You are quoting bits of science without offering any evidence that the processes (which you have a partial understanding of) are actually happening in Southern VI lakes!! Again where is the Health Advisory? And again I point out the trout are in there for a few months, not years and years, so there is not time for bio-accumulation to occur!!

Cobradriver did not ask for opinion or hearsay. He correctly wanted LINKS to actual FACTS. You have offered none except for your own (admittedly humorous :)) link to you own post. You are still offering vague notions and accusations about what you believe is happening in VI lakes without any scientific evidence. Belief without evidence is ignorant superstition.
Alot of science is based on opinion. I can see you being upset if I responded to this topic by saying "I read the cards and they say you will die young by eating fish from elk lake". I said what makes perfect sense to me, but I guess not to you. I value my health. I won't eat a fish from a lake that not only appears polluted, but produces poor tasting fish. Someone said the best tasting fish they had was from elk lake, however the only fish I have eaten from there that didn't taste bad was a large yellow perch. At this point, I don't see the point in eating a fish that will most likely taste poor, that has lived its life in a lake with poor quality water. During a rowing program I was in, I was talking to one of the instructors. He said that they swim in the lake in the summer. He then mentioned that the bottom was slimy and covered with garbage. A lake with a bottom covered in garbage in not where I want the origin of my food to be. I eat trout out of cowichan lake and they have a much different taste. Maybe you haven't experienced the taste of a trout that has been living in a clean lake its entire life, not in a hatchery runway eating prepared food. The difference is astounding. Eat what you will, but I stand by what I have said. I will also point out that you have not backed up your side with a link either.

eman don't waste your time, there are bigger fish to fry.
GLG

Right well I see I'm the only one with my point of view. No hard feelings english?

I love the fresh section in the fall/winter...
emo-coffee.gif

Right well I see I'm the only one with my point of view. No hard feelings english?

None whatsoever Falcon1. I am very passionate about the factual science and substantiated merits of any discussion. Facts and evidence are what brought humanity out of the Dark Ages and remain vital to this day. (That is why what Harper policies are doing to federal science funding and staffing, in DFO and elsewhere, is so appalling......but I digress). Hearsay and opinion have no place in many of the topics in the media today.....don't even get me started on the global warming or evolution debates!!
I have no hard feelings towards you Falcon1.....only towards uninformed opinion, and I apologise if that's how it comes over....blame it on my scientific background....LOL:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't confuse muddy tasting with unsafe to eat:

http://www.gofishbc.com/how-to-fish/fishing-articles/summer-stillwater-fishing.aspx

Everything in life involves a bit of risk. If you only want to eat 100% pure fish that have absolutely no chance of any contaminants in them, I'd suggest the closest you can get would be arctic char from one of Canada's arctic islands. And for gods sake - don't buy any fish from the store - you have NO IDEA where that might have come from:D

Keep it safe out there fellas. Catch and release.

CP

I know how to determine the safety of any fish caught on Vancouver Island:

1) Figure out how many minutes off someone's life a can of Lucky takes

2) Figure out how many minutes off of someone's life a potentially contaminated fish takes

3) Subtract the number from Answer 2 from Answer 1 .. For many fisherman I know, if the answer is a positive number, potentially contaminated fish are nothing to worry about :)

I know how to determine the safety of any fish caught on Vancouver Island:

1) Figure out how many minutes off someone's life a can of Lucky takes

2) Figure out how many minutes off of someone's life a potentially contaminated fish takes

3) Subtract the number from Answer 2 from Answer 1 .. For many fisherman I know, if the answer is a positive number, potentially contaminated fish are nothing to worry about :)

You may have something here !
Especially if the empty Lucky cans are being sent to the bottom of the lake !

If you really want your answer and are, in fact, not trolling on here you should keep a fish from the suspect waterbody and send it to a certified lab for a fish tissue metals anaylsis. Once you have the results in hand compare them with those posted on the MoE website.

ALOT of subjectivity here but the only real way to assess suitability for your safety.

If you really want your answer and are, in fact, not trolling on here you should keep a fish from the suspect waterbody and send it to a certified lab for a fish tissue metals anaylsis. Once you have the results in hand compare them with those posted on the MoE website.

ALOT of subjectivity here but the only real way to assess suitability for your safety.

Thanks, don't see that happening, I've already concluded in my past posts that the answers I seek are simply not out there.
I certainly am not going to be the one to provide them either, this being a fishing forum....I thought it would be a good place to ask as the most knowledgeable people for the topic would/should be found here.

If I wanted to troll here I'm sure I could do better than this...trust me.

Now...does anyone know if rain water is safe to drink ?

JUST KIDDING !

I Ate a nice healthy 16" Elk lake rainbow yesterday that had obviously been in the lake for awhile (healthy fins, whereas the fresh stockies all have eroded fins). I haven't gotten sick, and I'm not glowing.... I have seen fungus-y fish in there, usual infections from injuries/poor handling. I Even ate one. I don't think there's anything to worry about. But I would welcome someone to send some tissue in for analysis, that would be very interesting.

Back