safe boaters license

To my knowledge you are not required to have a VHF licence in the United States. If you took your exam 20 years ago in Canada and lost your card ,too bad. Industry Canada "cannot locate" those records. You have to take it over again.

The point I am trying to make is that we should be encouraging people to use VHF as much as possible instead of cell phones as lifesaving tools. A guy a half mile away from you might be having a heart attack on his boat and if all he has is a cell phone help is 15 minutes away not 5. Could make the difference to him living.

Ya Tiki I agree that there are a lot of knobs on radio.Ha Ha. but I would rather listen to that entertainment than have someone dying because he only finished grade 8 and didn't want to be tested on his phonetic alphabet.

I personally think the requirements to transmit over the radio are over the top when you consider what a joke the PCOC test is.

I guess the Coast Guard is sick of hearing, "Breaker, Breaker" and "10-4, Rubber Ducky".

More importantly, I am sure they are tired of boaters interrupting distress traffic because we don't speak French out west :)

I think Class D DSC radios should be mandatory now on pleasure crafts just as they are on commercial vessels.

Taking the course and test will at least get you up to speed on the DSC technology and its many benefits.

Hi Tiki , I am not against education ,I am against unnessasary beauracracy. Yes protocol is important ,but does it really require a course? memorizing a phonetic alphabet that most people will forget in 2 months? I've taken all the courses and hold a commercial radio licence and still feel more would be learned if people read the manual for the radio instead of courses that cover a great deal of "extra material" to justify their existence.
What saves lives is people having VHF's and listening to them , not protocol. The breaker/breaker guys are few and far between even in the States where they don't have the "licence" system.
While DSC seems like a great system it has quite a few flaws , give me channel 16 anyday.

Here is a good link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga6WdGkaeNM

Well, both DSC and channel 16 are going to around together for a while anyway.

I agree with you about learning the extra stuff, but that has always been the case with any education. I went to university for 6 years, and I would say 80% of it was theory.

In fact, the crux of it could have been taught in an afternoon ;)

Well, both DSC and channel 16 are going to around together for a while anyway.

I agree with you about learning the extra stuff, but that has always been the case with any education. I went to university for 6 years, and I would say 80% of it was theory.

In fact, the crux of it could have been taught in an afternoon ;)

If you operate a VHF radio on the water in Canada, yes you must have a Restricted Operator's Certificate (M), which doesn't necessarily mean you have to take the course, but you just have to pass the exam.

Back