Roku 3 + Hockeystreams + Netflix = cut cord

TenMile

For any of you sick of paying ~$50-100 per month for crap TV, here is what I just did.

Futureshop - get the Roku 3 (about $120 after tax) -- this thing is the size of a small pack of smokes and connects to your Internet connection either via WiFi or wired connection. Controlled either via included remote or via iPhone/Android app. Dead simple to set up -- takes less than 5 minutes and does not involve having to talk to a high school student. Streams online TV content to your set (HDMI connection required but they have other models with multiple inputs if your TV is older). One needed for each TV.

For general movies and TV series: Netflix ($8 per month) -- if you want US Netflix content try one of Tunlr (free), ProxyDNS or Playmo. You then get all the US Netflix content via your Canadian subscription.

For NHL Hockey (this was the ONLY reason I kept holding on to my BellTV service) -- Hockeystreams.com (here is my referral link which gets me $.05 if you watch one game and up to $2 if you subscribe for a year): http://www.hockeystreams.com/ref/87625. Every game (NHL, AHL, Junior even KHL) all in HD, both Home and Away coverage -- watch Live or On Demand when you can. This service is WAY better than NHL Centre Ice (quality and amount of content if far superior): $70 for 6 months, or about $7 per game on an as needed / when needed basis. I can't say enough about the quality of the video -- 500% better than Centre Ice.

For streaming any photos, personal videos and music I am now using Plex. With Plex you can create a channel on the Roku (e.g. my stuff) and it allows you to see it on your TV. Requires a computer (Mac, Windows or Linux) for the content. What's really cool about Plex is a little Browser plugin they have called "PlexIT" -- someone here shares a cool Tuna video -- with the browser plugin, you click on the "PlexIT" button and it adds the video to your content on the TV.

Any questions, fire away...

I should mention that Netflix and Hockeystreams appear as "Channels" on the Roku (there are thousands of other -- free, subscription and PPV as well). You add the channel to your Roku either via the TV screen, your iPhone or computer and then select it and then it streams the content you want to watch.

Yes, they have the concept of an App Store where you can see all available channels that you have not added to your personal lineup. They organize them by category (e.g. sports, movies etc...) and whether the service is free or paid. Click on the channel and it adds it to your lineup.

I thought netflix closed the loophole that allowed you to watch the US version with a proxy? Have you gotten US netflix to work recently?

I will have to check out hockeystreams when I get home from work. Looks promising. I just cut my shaw back to tier 1 which knocked off $33 but with everything available through nzb's I would like to cut back to just internet.

I cannot understand why there is such a difference. There is so much more available on the American Netflix. Sure glad those 10 year olds are posting on Youtube! lol. By the way, how is Roku different than Apple TV. I have Apple TV and love it...

I have Canadian Netflix thru my Bluetooth dvd player-how do I get U.S Netflix? I'm not that computer savy so spell it out plainly please.LOL

I cannot understand why there is such a difference. There is so much more available on the American Netflix. Sure glad those 10 year olds are posting on Youtube! lol. By the way, how is Roku different than Apple TV. I have Apple TV and love it...

Yeah, I second this question about roku vs apple tv. And the follow up question would be if people know how much better the jailbroken Apple TVs are compared to the unbroken ones (apparently the new Apple TV3 model can't be broken, so a person would require an older model to jailbreak it).

Btw, if anyone has a second generation Apple TV for sale, please contact me.

I've been playing with this stuff for a number of years. right now the OUYA and XBMC is kicken butt. but might be a slight bit more to setup. a ton of info out there for it though...

Back