Rod holders

Sitkaspruce

Not to take away from the doom and gloom discussions here but I am curious as to what rod holders do you use?

I see lots of pictures of guys with their fish and in the back ground I see the rod sticking out of the rod holder on the downrigger. Has anybody ever lost a rod to the downrigger mount? It looks like it is just hanging out there with very little support on the butt.

Does any one still use gunnel mounted rod holders? and if so what type?

I use scotty strikers for my main and the plastic ones for the rods out the back.

Cheers

SS

I use Scotty Strikers for hali only, as it holds the rod upright and makes it easy for people to handle the big level wind reels if they can't hold them free hand, it makes it work like a boat trailer winch. For salmon, I use the Scotty gunnel mount holders with the open ended tubes. My downriggers are very far back and would pose a risk to someone grabbing the rods and leaning far over the back of the boat. Never lost a rod right out of a Scotty unless I was running in some nasty weather.

Run all Scotty equip myself.. And as far as ever loosing one well you brought up a bad memory there.. Last summer while out at Sooke think it was about the second day out we spooled up and were headed in from Otter, I always turn up the rod holders on the downriggers to about a 10 deg angle and leave the rods riding in them on the way back thought it looked cool.. Well on the one side I must have tightened the holder down on the outside of the coggs.. We got about half way back to dock and I looked back over my equip well wouldn't you know it the one holder tipped over to a vertical position and yup my brand new Islander MR2 on a 10,6 HMX all gone... Let me tell you my heart was broken,, the wife and boys all chipped in and had bought the set up for me for my 40th that spring it was its first trip out west.. I am not ashamed to say that I shed a few tears..
I have learned to trust that set up no longer and put my rods down on the floor when traveling..

I used to use the Scotty Powerlock rod holders and never had any problems with them but recently at the Boat Show in Vancouver I purchased two of the new Scotty Orca rod holders and they are AMAZING. Easy to put the rod in and to pull it out during a strike. Also saves my corks on the butt of my rods. When traveling they have a lock tab that you can push and it is impossible to have your rods fall out no matter what size seas you're in. Definateley worth the money...

I use short 10-12 inch bungee cords and wrap one end around the rod holder and snap the other end on the reel. Hasn't failed in 20+ years.

What are the new Orca holders running?
Saw them at the Vic Boat Show and forgot to ask about price.
Scotty Rep told me that the new Orca's won't work with the old style receiver (socket), but older rod holder's will work with the new Orca socket.

I used to use the Tempress Fish-On holders, but the adjustment knobs finally wore out and wouldn't hold. Now I have all Scotty Strikers. Great holders.

Just installed two of the new Orca holders after reading the review here. Very sweet, rod released and in you hand in under 1 second. More importantly no need to shift your center of gravity over the edge of the boat to pull the rod out of the downrigger mounted rod holder so much safer in rough weather. Will see how the mechanism holds up after lots of use as it's just a plastic compression fitting.... I paid $35 each but I'd be surprised if they weren't available cheaper in a larger community. Now I have eight more holes drilled in my boat, brings tears to my eyes every time :)

Thanks for the heads up on the new product Reefer.

No prob.. They're nice too when you have people who haven't fished much with you as they seem to be able to get the rods out easier. So much nicer when you don't have to watch your rod get abused when getting pulled out of the rod holders.

They look good for maybe salmon fishing but Ill stick to the striker for hali fishing need something a little more beefer for when a hali hits. Think the other would blow up quickly thats all.
the striker is a good all around multi purpose holder.

Wolf

How are the Orca's when using centerpin reels? I'm rigging a new boat so need new rod holders. When fishing salmon I use centerpins exclusively. I've used the Tempress Fish On's in the past but the ratchet system wears out pretty quick and then it won't hold position when you load the rod off the downrigger. Any help would be appreciated.

Back