Rockfish Fishers: Effective Deepwater Release Technique

Trapper

So ya, old news to many, I just bought my licence and went on a charter recently and heard the bad news... Nasty new regulations for the rockfish fishers in all of us... 3 rockfish/day this year and only one yelloweye... that's very mean considering the longliners out there mass annihilating the species as irritable bycatch.

Anyways, some very easy to do techniques to ensure unwanted rockfish survive.

As none of this info seems to appear in any DFO literature or the BC regs etc, please spread this info to anybody you know that ocean fishes. No sense wasting fish when it's so easy to keep the things alive. If your charter guide doesnt know this technique, you might as well learn him! Maybe learn your government law enforcement officials. In fact if you encounter any DFO personel, you may as well learn them too!

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/bottomfish/rockfish/mortality.html

Perhaps you guys have run a thread like this long ago and it's old news? If not, I'm glad to share.

Yes-- but has been discussed before. However, it appears that the need to further protect rockies is not going away, so its good information to repeat that released rockfish dont necessarily have to die when taken from deep water. And, discussions that the SFAB has had with DFO on this subject, leads to the conclusion that a descending devise could very well become a mandatory part of our equipment . I have been experimenting with the SeaQualizer descender. It can be set to release a rockfish at different depths, depending on the model you have. I have followed the lead of one of the SFAB executives that uses his downrigger to lower any yelloweyes and rockfish to a depth where most recover with no ( or few ) effects. Its a work in progress , and other types are being developed now in BC .
Derby-- comments?

Yes-- but has been discussed before. However, it appears that the need to further protect rockies is not going away, so its good information to repeat that released rockfish dont necessarily have to die when taken from deep water. And, discussions that the SFAB has had with DFO on this subject, leads to the conclusion that a descending devise could very well become a mandatory part of our equipment . I have been experimenting with the SeaQualizer descender. It can be set to release a rockfish at different depths, depending on the model you have. I have followed the lead of one of the SFAB executives that uses his downrigger to lower any yelloweyes and rockfish to a depth where most recover with no ( or few ) effects. Its a work in progress , and other types are being developed now in BC .
Derby-- comments?

Used my seaqualizer last trip and was very pleased with the results-just clipped on the rigger and down she went to 100 ft--no hiccups.

simple and easy ,

just started using these , grind the barb off , have a dedicated rod for this , tie your fishing line directly to the
hook ( not the eye of the weight ) the curved part of the hook , so the weight is hangin below the hook ,
pierce the upper lip as per the second video , send down till on bottom , light jerk , shes gone ,
might not save every fish , but beats watchin em float away , even if only a few survive

most tackle shops sell them , fairly cheap , and it works !!!

( i have one tied up on a 1 foot leader with a quick release on it for storing , out and on in seconds )

fd

Large_Sampie_6oz-1.jpg

So ya, old news to many, I just bought my licence and went on a charter recently and heard the bad news... Nasty new regulations for the rockfish fishers in all of us... 3 rockfish/day this year and only one yelloweye... that's very mean considering the longliners out there mass annihilating the species as irritable bycatch.

Anyways, some very easy to do techniques to ensure unwanted rockfish survive.

As none of this info seems to appear in any DFO literature or the BC regs etc, please spread this info to anybody you know that ocean fishes. No sense wasting fish when it's so easy to keep the things alive. If your charter guide doesnt know this technique, you might as well learn him! Maybe learn your government law enforcement officials. In fact if you encounter any DFO personel, you may as well learn them too!

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/bottomfish/rockfish/mortality.html

Perhaps you guys have run a thread like this long ago and it's old news? If not, I'm glad to share.

Actually it's only 2 rockfish a day now and only 1 may be a yellow eye

I brought my Sea Equilizer with me to Hadia Gwaii & it was awesome. I saved a lot of fish with it this year. (Probably ~12 Yellow eyes alone.) Both QCL & WCR both have them in all of the guide boats now & are using them. No doubt some better training on handling is needed, but I made sure to give that feed back to management.

Now if you go self guided they don't have any of the Seaqualizers in the boats, (which they should).

Honestly the best money I spent this year on gear!

Back