Rockfish and Lingcod - Daily limits & Closer times

H
The Sport Fishery in this province takes MORE Chinook by far than the commercial fishery. As for bottom-fish as a whole, in Shore, we kick the snot out of the commercial fishery...that's reality. Halibut by pounds, no, we do not.
Mmmm, curious how you arrived at that conclusion - care to share your numbers /data that supports that theory?

H
Mmmm, curious how you arrived at that conclusion - care to share your numbers /data that supports that theory?

Educate yourself first....then let's talk. Saying the commercial fishermen take more Chinook than all the sport fishermen is bull. how about if Sport Fishers start taking some responsibility for what is going on on this coast.

I think he's trying to "educate" himself, that's why he asked to view the data? I'm interested as well, but could only find a paper that gave a breakdown up to 2006 and showed the commercial Chinook and Coho catch still were still greater than that of the recreational sector. It also discussed how the policy was aimed at having rec fishermen have priority to Chinook and coho, while commercials would have priority for Pink, Chum and Sockeye. Im sure things could have changed, so maybe you can direct us to the newer data?
You're right though, all sectors need to accept responsibility .

Add up all then Chinooks taken at all the lodges. full limits---possession limits. Add up all the Chinooks taken in Georgia Strait---easily over 1000 a day for the last 6 weeks consecutively....guaranteed. Add up WCVI and Victoria. Get my point? And Area G Troll fishery? Not big by any means in relative comparison.

Would be interesting to see the hard numbers. Not sure how you could get the true rec numbers though.

Would be interesting to see the hard numbers. Not sure how you could get the true rec numbers though.

Formula. DFO knows all that lodges take---they submit catch records for their seasons. Including hatchery heads etc. In several seasons back in the late 90's early 2000's I have turned in heads and received results from 10 different systems.

DFO is also doing license surveys and getting catch logs from guides. DFO Is well aware that we're better fishers now that we ever were. Barkley Sound and offshore WCVI literally produces thousands of Chinooks a day to sportfishers in July and August.

It's a slaughter out there for sport fishers--that's truth.

Guides having 4 guests and bonking 8 Chinook in the morning and then going back out in the afternoon with a different 4 guests and doing the same really adds up. It doesn't take long when the fish are around on this coast to put a hurting on them.

Educate yourself first....then let's talk. Saying the commercial fishermen take more Chinook than all the sport fishermen is bull. how about if Sport Fishers start taking some responsibility for what is going on on this coast.

Well, I was politely trying to suggest you might want to take your own advice, before spouting off rhetoric without the data to back that up.
A quick search shows some real numbers - from a DFO paper submitted for 2013, 214 (I only picked those because it was the first one that popped up)
For the commercial boys they estimate the 2013 total catch of 14,500,000 fish, for 2014 was 14,800,000 fish. Us sporties got 658,000 for 2013, and 871,00 for 2014. Now, the DFO paper does state that while lodges and such keep reasonable log books, all the other numbers are based on creel surveys, and as such the total is probably underestimated - BUT even if you double the estimated sport catch, you don't come anywhere near the commie total - let alone "kicking the snot" out of them as you claimed. And that's just salmon - pretty much guaranteed one bottom trawler yanks up (never mind the by-catch) more than the sport catch.

Well, I was politely trying to suggest you might want to take your own advice, before spouting off rhetoric without the data to back that up.
A quick search shows some real numbers - from a DFO paper submitted for 2013, 214 (I only picked those because it was the first one that popped up)
For the commercial boys they estimate the 2013 total catch of 14,500,000 fish, for 2014 was 14,800,000 fish. Us sporties got 658,000 for 2013, and 871,00 for 2014. Now, the DFO paper does state that while lodges and such keep reasonable log books, all the other numbers are based on creel surveys, and as such the total is probably underestimated - BUT even if you double the estimated sport catch, you don't come anywhere near the commie total - let alone "kicking the snot" out of them as you claimed. And that's just salmon - pretty much guaranteed one bottom trawler yanks up (never mind the by-catch) more than the sport catch.

Do those numbers include the Fraser or just saltwater?

I got no problem with commercial boys, they are making a living like the rest of us. I just can't see the saltwater rec guys having early as much impact. Now the river boys, sheesh. That's some gauntlet for the fish to run through.

Hate to say it, but I'd say with an uneducated opinion that maybe the river needs to be free from fishing for a while if we want to get the return levels up a bit.

F the pinks, Chums and Sox, Coho and test fisheries and mop up seines. Leave the Native food Fisheries out of it.

We're talking Chinooks here!!!!

DFO is out to lunch. the fact is they don't really know.

The next time you see a Commercial Troller tied up at the end of the day or taking a break from getting the snot kicked out of them by a westerly blow head over with a 6 pack and tell him you appreciate what they do and ask him what his average score of Chinooks was a day. You will be surprised. Ever met a rich Troller? You have not.

Whoopee ding. They made enough to cover boat costs and survive to participate next year.

A bunch of 8-13 pound Chinooks aren't going to keep them going.

Now, take every boat launch, every marina, every lodge, every resort, and then extrapolate that across the entire coast every day.

More than one lodge has been busted for failing to maintain catch records.

Head down to your local high end market and check their fish inventory, that will tell you a thing or two.

Last edited:
Back