Rock slide in Fraser River, B.C., may hinder salmon passage

Just spent 5 days working at the Big Bar slide. The pictures do not do justice of how big a velocity barrier that water fall is. A huge volume of water that fish can not migrate over. There was some limited natural migration when the water was higher but that has changed as the river dropped. It might change again as the water level changes.The blasters and rock scalers were working the rock face hard and we heard several large blasts and saw several large dust clouds after they pried large rocks off of the cliff face. Blasts have to be carefully controlled as the cliff is extremely unstable so we were told. The scalers have claimed to be seeing some limited movement over the slide but we will have to see. Lots of people on that mountain side daily.
Fish capture and transport was going as well as be can expected as there is a limited amount of workable capture sites. Hard to seine in a canyon that has lots of rocks on the bottom as they don't agree with nets. That said, fish are being helicoptered above the capture site in increasing numbers each day. When I first arrived we were capturing a significant number of fish with head and body wounds and what we were calling "stale" fish. The chinook appeared to have more head wounds as they could go farther up the river before being beat back by the flow. As the week progressed, more clean and sometimes silver fish were captured and these were airlifted over the falls. While the fish wheel was not capturing huge numbers of fish, they were capturing cleaner sockeye and bigger chinook that were not accessible to the seine crews as they were moving in heavier water flow. Every bit helps. More capture crews were being ramped up
In the time there I only observed one dead sockeye but there is no doubt mortality is occurring as fish are definitely staging trying to get by the slide. The stock assessment crews I worked with are top notch field people and they are very good at what they do. I have nothing but good things to say about them as well as the BC Fire crews who are helping with the labour as well as coordinating the helicopter transports. It's one giant moveable ballet with the helicopters. At times we had it so dialed in we were having 7 minute return intervals from loading a monsoon bucket to having the empty one flown back to us. Was impressive to watch except for being sandblasted from the prop watch.
The stock assessment crews also have Didson counters set up the river at Churn Creek and they are getting decent numbers of the transported fish that are continuing their upstream migration. They have also had several of the radio tagged fish monitored upstream of Prince George. They also were speculating that this capture program was going to continue until salmon migration was made possible or the migration was over in late fall.
My guess is that this will be worked on all fall and then in the winter when the water is very low more significant work will be done on the fallen rock. I would not rule out a new large fish ladder like you see at Hells Gate or Bridge River rapids. One other thing to note is that French Bar Rapids is just upstream of the slide site as is / was one of the worst rapids on the whole Fraser River. Evidently this rapid is now gone as it is completely underwater.
While a lot of people like to armchair quarterback on what should be done by DFO, I must say that there are a lot of resources being thrown at this by that agency. I would expect that this slide disaster is going to be on the scale of the Hells Gate disaster. Hopefully we can make it work but ultimately Mother Nature is calling all of the shots.

Anyway that was my impression of what is happening at the slide site. Cheers.

Thanks for sharing it clears up some questions, did you hear if they did any spawning assessments for early Fraser chinook did they make it past the slide or are they all stale fish below the slide??

Thank you for the insight for the work being done.
A big thanks to the people working at the site.
Still left in the dark on actual numbers that have made it past the slide.

Hopefully we will see some new hatchery facilities being built after this, with DFO claiming how bad it is!

One thing to consider, which was just pointed out to me, is that a significant portion of the Chilcotin steelhead run would have likely over-wintered in the Fraser below Big Bar and yet made it past the supposedly unreported slide.

I remember decades ago taking part in a steelhead tagging program in early spring and catching a steelhead at the mouth of the Seton which was radio-tagged. It was later found in the Chilcotin.
Good one! I have been wondering about the Chilcotin Steelhead as well. They are not supposed to move up river to the Chilcotin until March/ April/ May and get on their spawning beds. So how many were seen in the Chilcotin, any carcasses tallied by MOE??? nothing but silence...

Good one! I have been wondering about the Chilcotin Steelhead as well. They are not supposed to move up river to the Chilcotin until March/ April/ May and get on their spawning beds. So how many were seen in the Chilcotin, any carcasses tallied by MOE??? nothing but silence...

That’s because very little spawning counts are actually done. It’s all based on models that were done back in the day that compared spawning assessments vs the Albion test fishery. They developed pretty good models but what’s going on on the spawning beds is what counts.

The other thing I was thinking about is these natural slides seem to be more frequently then 1/100 year events. How did upper Fraser First Nations that count on salmon survive for the last thousands of years? Were they more dependent on other sources of food besides salmon??

Everyone’s saying this is worse then hells gate but no one wants to talk about how many fish are dead.

I am not armchair quarterback, I’m not telling them what to do I’m just asking questions. This slide happened in late October of last year there have been fish migrating since early spring. Did thoes fish make it past or not?

Last edited:
"At this point it's triage,” said McCartney.

Hard to argue with that, at a minimum from what I have read they need to save about a thousand fish of each gene/area to have viable populations capable of rebounding in a relatively short amount of time.

Let me get this straight; A natural rockslide occurs and the 'environmentalists' are upset?
Don't get me wrong, I think we should do what we can.
The irony of using tax (read profit from natural resources) dollars to mitigate a natural occurrence and refer to it as ""This has the potential to be the worst environmental disaster in British Columbia's history,” said Peter McCartney, a spokesperson for the Wilderness Committee."

Just spent 5 days working at the Big Bar slide. The pictures do not do justice of how big a velocity barrier that water fall is. A huge volume of water that fish can not migrate over. There was some limited natural migration when the water was higher but that has changed as the river dropped. It might change again as the water level changes.The blasters and rock scalers were working the rock face hard and we heard several large blasts and saw several large dust clouds after they pried large rocks off of the cliff face. Blasts have to be carefully controlled as the cliff is extremely unstable so we were told. The scalers have claimed to be seeing some limited movement over the slide but we will have to see. Lots of people on that mountain side daily.
Fish capture and transport was going as well as be can expected as there is a limited amount of workable capture sites. Hard to seine in a canyon that has lots of rocks on the bottom as they don't agree with nets. That said, fish are being helicoptered above the capture site in increasing numbers each day. When I first arrived we were capturing a significant number of fish with head and body wounds and what we were calling "stale" fish. The chinook appeared to have more head wounds as they could go farther up the river before being beat back by the flow. As the week progressed, more clean and sometimes silver fish were captured and these were airlifted over the falls. While the fish wheel was not capturing huge numbers of fish, they were capturing cleaner sockeye and bigger chinook that were not accessible to the seine crews as they were moving in heavier water flow. Every bit helps. More capture crews were being ramped up
In the time there I only observed one dead sockeye but there is no doubt mortality is occurring as fish are definitely staging trying to get by the slide. The stock assessment crews I worked with are top notch field people and they are very good at what they do. I have nothing but good things to say about them as well as the BC Fire crews who are helping with the labour as well as coordinating the helicopter transports. It's one giant moveable ballet with the helicopters. At times we had it so dialed in we were having 7 minute return intervals from loading a monsoon bucket to having the empty one flown back to us. Was impressive to watch except for being sandblasted from the prop watch.
The stock assessment crews also have Didson counters set up the river at Churn Creek and they are getting decent numbers of the transported fish that are continuing their upstream migration. They have also had several of the radio tagged fish monitored upstream of Prince George. They also were speculating that this capture program was going to continue until salmon migration was made possible or the migration was over in late fall.
My guess is that this will be worked on all fall and then in the winter when the water is very low more significant work will be done on the fallen rock. I would not rule out a new large fish ladder like you see at Hells Gate or Bridge River rapids. One other thing to note is that French Bar Rapids is just upstream of the slide site as is / was one of the worst rapids on the whole Fraser River. Evidently this rapid is now gone as it is completely underwater.
While a lot of people like to armchair quarterback on what should be done by DFO, I must say that there are a lot of resources being thrown at this by that agency. I would expect that this slide disaster is going to be on the scale of the Hells Gate disaster. Hopefully we can make it work but ultimately Mother Nature is calling all of the shots.

Anyway that was my impression of what is happening at the slide site. Cheers.

Thanks Brian for the detailed update and all your efforts!

Aug 17, 2019 Big Bar Landslide update.

• The fish wheel is a successful compliment to seining operations as both are catching large quantities of salmon for transportation. As of yesterday evening, a combined total of 17,391 salmon have been caught and transported upstream, past the obstruction.

• Additional oxygenated helicopter-transport tanks are anticipated to arrive within the next day or so. These tanks are being custom built for the current conditions.

• Due to the increasing numbers of salmon arriving and the continuing success of salmon capture, truck transportation operations are being enacted. Road building crews and engineers are upgrading a previously identified road from the capture sites to the French Creek area upstream with the intention of transporting salmon by truck, in conjunction with ongoing helicopter transports. Archeological values and cultural heritage resources remain a priority during road construction and all other operations.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/p..._update_big_bar_landslide_incident_aug_17.pdf

The other thing I was thinking about is these natural slides seem to be more frequently then 1/100 year events. How did upper Fraser First Nations that count on salmon survive for the last thousands of years? Were they more dependent on other sources of food besides salmon??

Lot's of evidence that slides in the past may have collapsed regional populations of first nations. However there is a back and forth within the archaeology community. If your curious you could review this thread on twitter.
https://twitter.com/Jon_W_Moore/status/1156653267868274688

So what happened to the early Upper Fraser Chinook this year? Did they make it to the spawning grounds past the slide area or not? I have an interest in the 4-2 run of stream type Chinook since this is the run that was used as the rationalization to impose the first very small size slot restriction on the JDF public fishery. At that time, not many were reported to have been observed in the streams and the numbers counted were down. If they could tell that then, surely they could tell that this year. So again, what was observed and what was the count on the 4-2's?

The less numbers released and more dark cloud of no fish getting by the easier it is for DFO not to allow much netting.

Reactions: abl
So what happened to the early Upper Fraser Chinook this year? Did they make it to the spawning grounds past the slide area or not? I have an interest in the 4-2 run of stream type Chinook since this is the run that was used as the rationalization to impose the first very small size slot restriction on the JDF public fishery. At that time, not many were reported to have been observed in the streams and the numbers counted were down. If they could tell that then, surely they could tell that this year. So again, what was observed and what was the count on the 4-2's?

The stock assessment people I was working with were talking how the upper river fish count programs were just being ramped up now as this is the time of year that the first spawning of these fish occurs. Should continue for about a month. That being said, they did mention to me that they had done a look in the McGregor system north of Prince George and did see a hand full of fish literally. They were happy to see them but disappointed on how few there were. Hopefully numbers of fish seen will be posted.

Aug 18, 2019 Big Bar Landslide update.

• Heavy equipment is assisting road crews on constructing a road that will be used for salmon truck transport. As always, we continue to work with our local First Nation partners to ensure archeological and cultural heritage values are respected. Our partners that are helping with these important assessments are from the High Bar First Nation and the Stswecem’c Xgat’tem (Canoe Creek) First Nation.

• Salmon truck transport will work concurrently with helicopter transport in order to maximize salmon relocation efforts. The number of transported salmon will continue to depend on fish arrivals to the site, water levels in the river, and the success of capture operations.

• An additional crew of seining personnel from the Gitksan Watershed Authority arrived to assist with salmon capture and transport.

• A new daily record for the amount of salmon transported by helicopter, past the obstruction, was reached yesterday. Yesterday’s combined total of chinook and sockeye was 1,947.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/p..._update_big_bar_landslide_incident_aug_18.pdf

Shuswap.
You clearly miss my point about Politicians using this for political gain. Lies and mistruths and lots of them continue.

As said hats off to those trying their best to help the situation.

But I wont stand idle and listen to the mistruths of no fishing by FNs down river or statements like weve been on this for a few months also complete blockage. Wrong on all above.
I read your post....it’s conflating. Political gain? Nothing to do with the slide. Fish farms? Nothing to do with the slide. The Fraser Panel update on the PSC website provides a picture of how passable this slide area is. You say wrong it’s not a complete blockage, that it’s all BS? Well, it may be possible that “some” (Spring Chinook) could have made it past naturally if flows permitted. However, there’s no one sitting with a lawn chair at the immediately upstream side of the slide counting salmon getting past and definitely not back in June. As posted already, surveys for Upper Fraser Chinook are underway in the terminal areas. The data (not politicians speaking here) that is coming in from telemetry work currently from the slide is not painting a pretty picture. The escapement update in the PSC document doesn’t paint a pretty picture of Early Stuart Sockeye on the spawning grounds. There are crews (not politicians) on the ground in the Stuart country right now walking and flying those streams. More than likely, the Sockeye that made it the Stuart were those that were air lifted past the slide and didn’t migrate past the slide on their own. I suggest to you that you may want to read the PSC document (not produced by the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans) and avoid the conspiracies at this time.

Back