Roatan,Honduras

Totally unexpected

The wife and I are heading to Roatan for 2 glorious weeks of get the f outta here,anyone had any fishing experience in this part of the world going pack collapsible spinning gear and some hardware any tips would be great,going checkout a charter as well but wondering if the shore fishing is similar to mexico/ Bahamas?

Went to Utila just west of there 25 years ago to learn to scuba dive. Second biggest reef system in the world, no fishing knowledge but highly recommend you dive or learn to free-dive or scuba dive while there. Hope someone else can give you the fishing report.
Thanks kaelc yeah thats a big reason we are going there, scuba and snorkel are things I lovevto do. I started looking in to fishing charters now that we have our dates so ill try and pick some free info off the captain and crew. I'll bring some streamers and spoons and plastics to see if I can entice anything off the shoreline. Charters are pretty reasonable so depending how it goes I may do a couple. Finally a tropical trip after the last 3 years of no travel ,we are chomping at the bit😎

Thanks kaelc yeah thats a big reason we are going there, scuba and snorkel are things I lovevto do. I started looking in to fishing charters now that we have our dates so ill try and pick some free info off the captain and crew. I'll bring some streamers and spoons and plastics to see if I can entice anything off the shoreline. Charters are pretty reasonable so depending how it goes I may do a couple. Finally a tropical trip after the last 3 years of no travel ,we are chomping at the bit😎
I have a friend who spends winter there. He wanders the beach with his fly rod looking for bone

Just feels good to be able to see the planet again,still have lots of places to go before the ride is over!!
Just got back from Palm Springs. Felt so good to travel again and timed it perfectly with the bad weather starting here. Give yourself extra time at the airport because everyone seems very useless these days. Our paperwork had my daughter on the flight, but theirs didn't. Missed our first direct flight because it took the newbie worker an hour to do something that the manager figured out in 1 minute. Ended up having to take a different flight with a connection so that added 6 hours to our day. Leaving on our connector from Seattle to Palm Springs, I saw our car seat and suitcase almost get loaded and then put back on the truck to take back to the airport. I flagged down a flight attendant to say that our luggage wasn't making it and he radioed down to them to put it on the plane. It was labelled "standby" or something. Absolute gong show and if we weren't sitting where we were, we wouldn't have seen the luggage and we would have been short some key items when we arrived.

Just got back from Palm Springs. Felt so good to travel again and timed it perfectly with the bad weather starting here. Give yourself extra time at the airport because everyone seems very useless these days. Our paperwork had my daughter on the flight, but theirs didn't. Missed our first direct flight because it took the newbie worker an hour to do something that the manager figured out in 1 minute. Ended up having to take a different flight with a connection so that added 6 hours to our day. Leaving on our connector from Seattle to Palm Springs, I saw our car seat and suitcase almost get loaded and then put back on the truck to take back to the airport. I flagged down a flight attendant to say that our luggage wasn't making it and he radioed down to them to put it on the plane. It was labelled "standby" or something. Absolute gong show and if we weren't sitting where we were, we wouldn't have seen the luggage and we would have been short some key items when we arrived.
Lots of stories like this, especially back in July when peak travel ran head on into short staffing. Anyone would be wise to avoid flying this coming Christmas holiday season.

The wife and I are heading to Roatan for 2 glorious weeks of get the f outta here,anyone had any fishing experience in this part of the world going pack collapsible spinning gear and some hardware any tips would be great,going checkout a charter as well but wondering if the shore fishing is similar to mexico/ Bahamas?
I've been going there every year for the last 20 yrs,absolutely love the place!I usually stay in the Westbay area lots of great restaurants,beach etc.
the local people are wonderful and most speak english,the fishing is good whether on shore or off shore.It is a seafood lovers paradise for sure.
My favorite place to eat is the Los Rocas,these lady's know how to cook seafood and the 2 for 1 happy hour is not to be missed!
let me know if you have any other questions, would be happy to answer for you

Attachments

• WAHOO ROATAN.jpg
    WAHOO ROATAN.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 64
I've been going there every year for the last 20 yrs,absolutely love the place!I usually stay in the Westbay area lots of great restaurants,beach etc.
the local people are wonderful and most speak english,the fishing is good whether on shore or off shore.It is a seafood lovers paradise for sure.
My favorite place to eat is the Los Rocas,these lady's know how to cook seafood and the 2 for 1 happy hour is not to be missed!
let me know if you have any other questions, would be happy to answer for you
Thank you so much for the reply I will definitely pick your brain as the time draws nearer

Who were you flying with?

I have stayed at the Paradise beach resort and do recommend it,right on the beach with great snorkeling out front, a bar and grill restaurant all within 20 steps from the water. The hotel has a airport shuttle, i would recommend that you take it and just rent a car from a local or use a taxi the days you want to explore the island,and use the water taxi to go to the Westend. The main road runs on top of the island north to south and the views are incredible and well worth the trip (easily done in a day). You use to be able to fly there in a day on United air lines with a conection in Houston ,not so any more as they changed the departure time to leave earlier from Houston and flights from Canada miss that connection by an hour or two.What i do now to get there the same day is fly out of Calgary on Westjet to Belize city landing around 2:00pm then catch a TROPIC AIR Flight that leaves at 4:00pm 1/2 HOUR flight to Roatan.All other Airlines would require a overnight stay some where along the route.
As for fishing i would highly recommend Cunny for off shore,i will dig up a phone number for him,I like reef fishing so anyone with a panga
would be happy to take you out for some incredible fishing all you need really is a hook and a piece of conch or shrimp for a day of fun.
i always take some Buzz bombs to give to the local fishermen when we go out , they really like the action.
Once you visit Roatan I'm sure you will be going back as i have been for the last 20 years!

I have stayed at the Paradise beach resort and do recommend it,right on the beach with great snorkeling out front, a bar and grill restaurant all within 20 steps from the water. The hotel has a airport shuttle, i would recommend that you take it and just rent a car from a local or use a taxi the days you want to explore the island,and use the water taxi to go to the Westend. The main road runs on top of the island north to south and the views are incredible and well worth the trip (easily done in a day). You use to be able to fly there in a day on United air lines with a conection in Houston ,not so any more as they changed the departure time to leave earlier from Houston and flights from Canada miss that connection by an hour or two.What i do now to get there the same day is fly out of Calgary on Westjet to Belize city landing around 2:00pm then catch a TROPIC AIR Flight that leaves at 4:00pm 1/2 HOUR flight to Roatan.All other Airlines would require a overnight stay some where along the route.
As for fishing i would highly recommend Cunny for off shore,i will dig up a phone number for him,I like reef fishing so anyone with a panga
would be happy to take you out for some incredible fishing all you need really is a hook and a piece of conch or shrimp for a day of fun.
i always take some Buzz bombs to give to the local fishermen when we go out , they really like the action.
Once you visit Roatan I'm sure you will be going back as i have been for the last 20 years!
Awesome info !! Thank you, we depart jan19 returning home Feb 4 or 5th, our connection is out of Toronto,we had a choice of a day before flight or a red eye with a 2 hour window for the connection so we rented a hotel and took the day before,we had that red eye deal when we went to Antigua and were running through Pearson's panicking so we don't want that as it makes for a stressful start or end to a vacation besides one of the guys in our group has Parkinson so try to keep stress to minimum for sure

Back