Rivers inlet - clam beach

bcboarder

Hi all,

Heading up to rivers via port hardy last week of July. It's my first time up there, and we are going minimalist.

Will be on a 25' grady.

We will be anchoring at clam beach, and staying on the boat / tenting on shore. Freezing our catch at duncanby.

Wondering what people fish besides cut plugs up there?

Have a few ideas on where to go for salmon, but not so much for hali. Any tips? Not trying to get specific wpts, but a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Would love to hear any feedback if anyone has done rivers this way..

Thanks,

Patrick

I'm curious how, in a situation as described here, the angler can keep more that 2 days worth of salmon? My understanding is that you are not permitted to have more than 2 days' limit of salmon kept at any place other than your permanent residence? How do fishing lodges handle this issue if a guest stays more than 2 days?

Pineapple:
Of course we are keeping to the regs. It's the same as if you were on any out of town trip, storing your catch at a place which is not your residence. By my understanding, it is in your possession, and so the regs apply.

I usually fish ucluelet every summer, and we store our fish at a third party location. Your catch is recorded on license and at the location of storage. You keep this documentation for your trip back to your residence, and all is well.

Slayer ,

Thank you , I will give those spots a try for sure. Planning on using spreaders with prob salmon belly / herring for bait

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious how, in a situation as described here, the angler can keep more that 2 days worth of salmon? My understanding is that you are not permitted to have more than 2 days' limit of salmon kept at any place other than your permanent residence? How do fishing lodges handle this issue if a guest stays more than 2 days?

The anglers do not keep more then 2 days of limits. If fishing for 3 or 4 days, some people will catch and release for first day and keep their 2 day limit for the last 2 or 3 days. Or some people will try to reach their limit first and then C&R the rest of the trip. Some others will not keep their daily limit each day, but instead spread their 2 day limits over 3 days. If they only keep the "trophy" size ones, they might only get one spring and one coho a day.

Pineapple. no where in his first post does it even insinuate that the intended purpose is to take more than the limit. not sure where you even get off on making a post like yours. crap like this makes this site a joke at times.

it sounds like a great trip and something i'd love to do. you should get some good info from a lot of people on here

cheers and have a great trip

For Hali, just in front of the dome in 150' of water. Tailwalker has done quite well there. All of the lodges use cut plug motor mooching only. Have often been tempted to bring my own boat and try DR fishing. The big fish are usually very close to shore and quite shallow (12-15 pulls)

Thank you guys so much for the suggestions. I have read the board here for a couple years and just joined recently. I appreciate the tips.

Let's not derail this topic on the basis of regs, as I've stated we are adhering to them exactly.

Barkerfam

Thanks for the suggestion. As I haven't been there , I don't know the dome, any landmarks from the chart I can use to find it?

Slayer,

About swan rock, is that by major brown?

Super excited to try this out! Thanks again!

Thank you guys so much for the suggestions. I have read the board here for a couple years and just joined recently. I appreciate the tips.

Let's not derail this topic on the basis of regs, as I've stated we are adhering to them exactly.

Barkerfam

Thanks for the suggestion. As I haven't been there , I don't know the dome, any landmarks from the chart I can use to find it?

Slayer,

About swan rock, is that by major brown?

Super excited to try this out! Thanks again!

The "dome" is just west of "The Wall". The hali spot is straight away from the Dome in about 200 ft water. With your Grady, you can also go and fish Calvert Island for hali. I don't know of any specific spots but over the years have heard a lot of radio chatter about catching hali's there. Motor mooching with cut plug is the way to go for salmon. If you want springs, you'll have to get close to the kelp beds and shore in 12-18 pulls which means you'll have to dodge all those 17 ft boats from the various lodges. No problem being in a 26 footer if you are fishing for coho's since they're all over the place. Good luck on the crossing!

All the popular fishing spots are south/south west of Major Brown. Actually, to find "The Wall", just look for all the boats from the fishing lodges. That would be the spot with the most boats and they seem to be right up against shore. The Dome will be west of that spot with a dome like boulder, fewer boats. There is suppose to be hali's in that big bay next to Cranston Point though I've never fished there.

From Google maps, here are the coordinates for The Wall N51 24 06.2 W 127 43 26.6 and the Dome will be close by at N 51 23 51.5 W 127 43 56.1.

That's great Tailwalker, thanks!

As for the crossing, we will be paying attention to the forecast, and are going to come on a flood tide. Hopefully the seas cooperate.

Do you know if there is salt ice or regular ice available anywhere nearby? Was going to try duncanby.

Also , would it be worth doing a day fishing the river mouth?

Probably ice at Duncanby, don't know about salt ice. Fished the river mouth area years ago, lots of boats, but you should check with the lodges up there to see if its worth the trip. If you see boats from Legacy lodge coming down to the Inlet, you know there is nothing happening up at the river mouth area. The fish tend not to be as feisty up there as they are at the inlet opening. I suspect the fresh water mix has something to do with it. The tyees I caught up there did not fight as hard nor as long as the ones I caught at the Inlet mouth. I'd call Legacy Lodge the night before to see if there's been any action. Wind picks up and it gets choppy in the afternoon......for springs, try tight against The Wall, tight against the kelp beds at The Dome, at Rough's Bluff, Drainy inlet is also worth a shot. This spot, 51°29'26.2"N 127°33'45.8"W is worth a try, especially for a boat your size. A 26 ft Grady will have a difficult time maneuvering amongst the 17 footers at most of the spots for springs. Good luck and tight lines!!

Pineapple. no where in his first post does it even insinuate that the intended purpose is to take more than the limit. not sure where you even get off on making a post like yours. crap like this makes this site a joke at times.

it sounds like a great trip and something i'd love to do. you should get some good info from a lot of people on here

cheers and have a great trip

Seams like there is always somebody trying to stir the pot.

Ice at Duncanby? STRONGLY recommend taking the time to get salt ice in Port Hardy prior to departure--Duncanby has a machine that produces wimpy cubes that are more water then ice---almost useless for any long term chilling.

That was my experience, anyway.

good luck

Salt ice - Hardy Boys fish processing up the hill from the boat launch, if you arr trailering to hardy, good option. On the water the commercial dock at the end of the inlet. Or coming out of the inlet on your right at The petro can dock is bear cove ice. A great option.

Back