River Sturgeon Numbers Decline

Derby

Crew Member
River sturgeon numbers decline

But conservationists buoyed by catches of three large mature fish

By Randy Shore, Vancouver Sun December 24, 2012

• Story
• Photos ( 1 )

Jeff Welch, left, lead guide for Great River Fishing Adventures, and Dean Werk, owner of Great River hold a 500-kilo great white sturgeon caught in September in the Fraser River.
Photograph by: The Canadian Press, Files , Vancouver Sun
The population of Fraser River white sturgeon is at its lowest level since 2001, when conservationists began counting and tagging the fish.
Estimates contained in the annual Lower Fraser White Sturgeon Monitoring and Assessment Program report suggest that the number of sturgeon in the river in 2011 dropped below 45,000 fish, a 23-per-cent decline since the population peaked at 58,090 in 2003.
The greatest decline was among juvenile sturgeon less than one metre in length, while the population of mid-sized fish was relatively stable.
"There are a lot of factors at play (in the population estimates) because these are very long-lived fish - they can live up to 200 years and grow up to 20 feet (six metres) long," said Sarah Schreier, executive director of the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society. "We have seen a steady decline, but in the past five years the population has been holding steady and that gives us a lot of hope these fish will mature and spawn."
Sturgeon don't reach sexual maturity until they are between 26 and 36 years old and may only spawn every six to 10 years, Schreier said. But their longevity allows them to endure years of poor spawning conditions and still survive to reproduce.
Despite the gloomy numbers, conservationists were buoyed by news that three very large sturgeon were hooked and released by anglers this year.
Two sturgeon measuring 3.25 m and 3.21 m were caught and released earlier in the year.
A sturgeon weighing 500 kilos and 3.40 m in length was landed by a sport fisherman near Chilliwack in September. It was the fourth largest sturgeon recorded in the 12-year study period.
In 90,000 sturgeon encounters recorded by the group's monitoring program, only about a dozen fish longer than three metres have been noted. During the peak of the commercial sturgeon fishery between 1892 and 1920, sturgeon measuring up to six metres were routinely pulled from the Fraser River.
"There are still big old fish in the river and we know that they spawn," Schreier said. "Those three fish were very inspiring; it's very rare for us to see them."
There are indications that conditions in the river and the white sturgeon's ocean habitat has not been optimal for most of the last seven years. The average growth rates for all size groups recorded in the five years starting in 2005 were 23-per-cent lower than the five-year period before 2005.
Growth rates partly recovered in 2010 and 2011, though they are still below the pre-2005 rate.
The Fraser River sturgeon fishery was shut down and converted to catch-and-release in the early 1990s, but a largely unexplained die-off of mature fish in 1993 further hobbled the population.
"There were dozens of (dead) fish and that really alarmed folks, so our organization was founded to get a handle on that population and to protect and restore the sturgeon habitat on the river," Schreier said.
The life cycle and migration habits of the Fraser River white sturgeon remain largely opaque to researchers, but they are known to spend part of their lives in the ocean, mainly in the summer. Sturgeon are known to feed on oolichan and salmon and may be sensitive to fluctuations in the populations of those fish in the ocean and in the river, where they return to spawn.
The conditions sturgeon require for spawning are also mysterious, though eggs have been collected consistently in specific parts of the river.
Because of the sturgeon's lengthy spawning cycle and the long period before the fish reach sexual maturity, Schreier thinks the natural recovery of the Fraser River sturgeon to pre-fishery abundance could take 300 years.
rshore@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technol...bers+decline/7740125/story.html#ixzz2G5O0fXzr

Not surprising at all. In the summer months the fraser river banks are blanketed with FN gill nets in the prime sturgeon habitat. I personally witnessed several 2-3 foot long sturgeon dead in those nets as they were pulled by FN. That was just in 3 days of fishing in the areas between mission and the vedder river. The actual number of sturgeon by-catch would be much, much greater if you consider the amount of nets deployed in the river.

These nets are often left unattended for days or overnight which is a death sentence for any young sturgeon in the area.

Wow,I don't even know where to begin on this subject,take your pick, but the 1000 nets have to be a part of the problem for sure.Your right to kill anything you want?Our right ,BS

Have to agree, that many nets can't be helping the situation for sturgeon. Maybe its time for them to go back to old school fish traps and weirs. That way they can selectively fish, and make sure we count fish properly to make surgical decisions on which fish to take and which to let pass to do their thing on the spawning grounds. Also big benefits for sturgeon who can be live released without harm. Too bad there is no impetus for change. Maybe a good old total closure of the fishery might serve to change attitudes toward the fishery.

There isn't a lot of damage to the stock from native gill nets Sturgeon & Salmon don't habituate in the same places.

The damage comes from as mentioned gravel mining the back sloughs-which are prime spawning habitat.

It's a weird old world we live in-did you Guys know that of the 60,000+ White Sturgeon thought to be living in the Lower Fraser only females between 30 & 60 years of age are spawners? (I may have that number wrong but it's close).

That means there may be as few as 300 spawners in the entire Lower Fraser-that's a very low number and a population that's very vulnerable to habitat degradation.

There isn't a lot of damage to the stock from native gill nets Sturgeon & Salmon don't habituate in the same places.

Have to disagree on that. The FN set gillnets every 1000 feet on the shoreline from the mission bridge to the vedder river. These nets catch sturgeon along with salmon. I watched it personally this past summer.

I witnessed sturgeon being caught and killed in FN nets the few days I happened to be out there. There are many more nets on the lower fraser and many more on the upper fraser. With hundreds of nets set over months at a time the likelihood that a significant number of sturgeon being killed as bycatch is very high.

They may not share the same spawning habitat as salmon but they both have to swim the gauntlet of nets.

Have to disagree on that. The FN set gillnets every 1000 feet on the shoreline from the mission bridge to the vedder river. These nets catch sturgeon along with salmon. I watched it personally this past summer.

I witnessed sturgeon being caught and killed in FN nets the few days I happened to be out there. There are many more nets on the lower fraser and many more on the upper fraser. With hundreds of nets set over months at a time the likelihood that a significant number of sturgeon being killed as bycatch is very high.

They may not share the same spawning habitat as salmon but they both have to swim the gauntlet of nets.
Yeah you're right-I was dead drunk when I posted that last night.

I always wondered If we were losing sturgeon to the columbia River slot kill fishery they have? I know that some of our tagged fish show up there? I hear that they are having problems with there sturgeon numbers? Do the seals and seal lions chow on them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Fishtofino
Time to shut 'er down

your quick to say "shut'er down"
when it doesn't affect you.

Same type of thinking, and management ideas the DFO uses,If you cannot manage it shut it down. Maybe they are also right about Halibut quotas, should keep it to the commies for a true count of pieces. How many actual Sturgeon fishers target the small ones? I don't see many using 4/0 hooks to help them catch the small ones, most are using 9/0-14/0 for what we go after, the big boys. Predation has a big effect on populations, weather its human, poaching the fish,removing the spawning gravel or natural predators like Sea Lions and seals eating them, all have a negative effect on their numbers.

I always wondered If we were losing sturgeon to the columbia River slot kill fishery they have? I know that some of our tagged fish show up there?
Yes there's a kill fishery in WA state salt that takes some Fraser fish each year.

I hear that they are having problems with there sturgeon numbers? Do the seals and seal lions chow on them?
Yes the Columbia has had a problem with Sea Lions taking Sturgeon there was talk of feeding hot lead to a few dozen particularly nasty critters.

Heard the same..seems they are running out of fish fort here slot limit and are cutting back...a trend?

Back