Reusing BC boat license numbers

zurk

So i had an old inflatable 10 years ago with a BC # which i sold off. Just wondering where I can title a new RIB with the same numbers and if i should just renew them or should i bother getting a whole new set of license # for the RIB. RIB is bought brand new so no issue with tax etc just laziness.
old seller did not register old inflatable or pay tax on the purchase. but after 10 years the numbers sorta disappear from the system i believe ? idk. i still have the old numbers template and paint so it would be easy to slap it on rather than buying a whole new paint / number kit and filing forms etc.

You will need new numbers, the old numbers relate to a specific vessel. Registration will have different years, color maybe, length? Brand?

Easy online and get numbers quick

Registration is changing after Dec. 31/23 -- after that it will only be good for 5 years and have a renewal fee. If you register now its good for 10 years -- there will be no more lifetime registrations with no renewals. Renewal fees are apparently going to create a derelict boat fund.

I changed my old boat registration recently to remove an old partner from title. It takes only a few minutes online, provided you read their prep tips and have your docs ready.

I just checked mine and it does not have an expiry date,
grandfathered maybe ?

You're right -- and I don't know if that's going to change. I just know that new and changed registrations currently have a 10 year expiry and that they are shortening that to 5 years. My guess is they don't have much of a handle on the existing fleet.

My existing registration on my Skookum had no expiry -- but it had the name of an old girlfriend on it [from 40 years ago - I had totally forgotten] so I wanted to change it

looks like my old numbers are now expired as of 2022.
so still debating if i should just slap old numbers on the new boat or not. does anyone really care if the numbers are expired ? its still got my name on the old numbers i guess....can always tell anyone who checks i forgot to renew...
does old boat look like new one ? it sorta has same colors but different mfgs.... new one has electric drive unit not outboard.

Attachments

• 2012-10-28-029.jpg
    2012-10-28-029.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 10UL-PERSPECTIVA.jpg
    10UL-PERSPECTIVA.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 21
Back