Retention of foul hooked fish?

jlaffin

I would like some clarification on what happens when a fish is foul hooked. If a wild Coho (non retention) is foul hooked, are you allowed to keep the fish or does it have to go back? Also, if a fish is hooked from the in the gills from the outside, is this foul hooked or does it have to be in the body?

Thanks for help!

As far as I know, the official answer is that it doesn't matter how the fish is hooked - if its a 'non-retention' fish, it goes back even if its bleeding from the gills. What guys actually do may be another thing.

I would like some clarification on what happens when a fish is foul hooked. If a wild Coho (non retention) is foul hooked, are you allowed to keep the fish or does it have to go back? Also, if a fish is hooked from the in the gills from the outside, is this foul hooked or does it have to be in the body?

Thanks for help!
any salmon foul hooked (Any where on the body other then the mouth) has to be returned. ..........Dead or alive.

any salmon foul hooked (Any where on the body other then the mouth) has to be returned. ..........Dead or alive.
Depends if it was intentional or not, this from the regs.

• It is illegal to wilfully foul hook a salmon. If you accidentally foul hook a salmon in the ocean, you can keep it. If you foul hook a salmon, wilfully or accidentally, in any lake or stream, including the tidal parts of coastal streams, you must release it immediately“

• It is illegal to wilfully foul hook a salmon. If you accidentally foul hook a salmon in the ocean, you can keep it. If you foul hook a salmon, wilfully or accidentally, in any lake or stream, including the tidal parts of coastal streams, you must release it immediately“
This is written poorly and I wondered about this a few years back. I asked a Fisheries officer about it and he said if the fish is open for retention and you foul hook it you can keep it as long as it is a legal fish size wise. If its closed or non retention and you foul hook it you have to release it.

Thanks. I had to look that up. Here's the page it's on:

i’ve thought long and hard on this as i’ve released a tyee class fishing bleeding hard from the gills…... i’m that guy that hates netting a close to slot fish for fear of knocking off all its scales and sending it back. imagine us humans getting our skin peeled off and then thrown into salt water…but i digress…

i’ve often thought about some sort of “ exception” for a mortally wounded fish.

guess what? every fish would suddenly become a bleeder. that’s just the reality

i’ve thought long and hard on this as i’ve released a tyee class fishing bleeding hard from the gills…... i’m that guy that hates netting a close to slot fish for fear of knocking off all its scales and sending it back. imagine us humans getting our skin peeled off and then thrown into salt water…but i digress…

i’ve often thought about some sort of “ exception” for a mortally wounded fish.

guess what? every fish would suddenly become a bleeder. that’s just the reality
OMG not even remotely the same. Do people not pay attention to animals in the wild and what they go through. If they were all this fragile they would be extinct long ago. This silliness has to end already.

Again I have been fishing in closed systems for decades now and do not see any evidence that this type of thing is true.

The catch and release thing has been argued over and over. IMO, as far as netting goes, a "difficult" fish is much better netted at the side of the boat in a rubber net and unhooked and released quickly rather than playing tug-o-war for 10 mins.

RiverBoy is right, if there was a special exception for keeping 'bleeders', there would suddenly be a lot more 'bleeders'.

OMG not even remotely the same. Do people not pay attention to animals in the wild and what they go through. If they were all this fragile they would be extinct long ago. This silliness has to end already.

Again I have been fishing in closed systems for decades now and do not see any evidence that this type of thing is true.
If you knock enough scales and protective slime off a salmon, they die. period. end of discussion. tell me why that is then?
it’s an obvious shock to their system, and leaves them prone to all sorts of infection.
when i volunteered at the hatchery i’ve seen salmon return that had been attacked by a predator and their spine was completely exposed and they are carrying on; the same cannot be said about the salt chuck.

your extinction point makes no sense as there are MILLIONS of salmon capable of reproducing.

these salmon ide are not your “slough sharks” in your closed systems; they are quite fragile in nature

This is written poorly and I wondered about this a few years back. I asked a Fisheries officer about it and he said if the fish is open for retention and you foul hook it you can keep it as long as it is a legal fish size wise. If its closed or non retention and you foul hook it you have to release it.
In Tidal Waters. In Non Tidal Waters ALL foul hooked fish must be released.

Ive caught salmon with chunks missing from flesh, claw mark ripped flesh right to the tail. Many many scratched up salmon and they survive, very hardy fish.
When it comes to the gill hooked fish, it sucks to have to return a bleeder salmon. This is where we can move to a fish tag system. Maybe on top of buying a license you can buy a handful of salmon tags (like hunting) that must be pinned to a fish that is bound to possibly die from injury but is outside of retention or size, but also would be tagged on the license.

Who knows? Might not be the best system but would alleviate some pain.

Ive caught salmon with chunks missing from flesh, claw mark ripped flesh right to the tail. Many many scratched up salmon and they survive, very hardy fish.
When it comes to the gill hooked fish, it sucks to have to return a bleeder salmon. This is where we can move to a fish tag system. Maybe on top of buying a license you can buy a handful of salmon tags (like hunting) that must be pinned to a fish that is bound to possibly die from injury but is outside of retention or size, but also would be tagged on the license.

Who knows? Might not be the best system but would alleviate some pain.
tag system has been tried..did not work

Hey, typically, foul hooking refers to a fish hooked anywhere other than inside the mouth, so yes, a fish hooked in the gills from the outside is indeed foul hooked. If you foul hook a non-retention species like a wild Coho, the general rule is to release it, as keeping it could violate fishing regulations.

Back