Resealing Sliding Window Frame

terrin

I have been trying to find the source of a leak on my 23' Double Eagle. After a great deal of trial and error I have finally nailed down the source of the leak. I have taken out all the rubber and glass out of the side window frames. When they originally built these windows they used a sealant in the Aluminum frames where the bottom frame meets the side frame of the window. This sealant has broken down and needs to be redone. My question is has anyone ever done this or know of what the correct product would be?

You got a photo of the sealant that you think is leaking? Gutter seal or clear silicone would likely be used during assembly of the window frame.

You got a photo of the sealant that you think is leaking? Gutter seal or clear silicone would likely be used during assembly of the window frame.
The sealant is grey and doesn't seem like silicone. The sliding side windows are anodized aluminum framed built in 1986. Hard to find any info but thought someone else might have gone thru this.

k-CPRPl4mr1qF9cGETT3dLj_bkNMuJYUtZNJyGyk3lJNFDDCJNDvqH6BhHLHuySEQ97SuqIKqVmpBZS3_63OHTHv7itcfFy5ja5fbGFaU02LOwthKqzVfwIngTmLxTKuHi_SvfSoSNB9E70XPYeilcPDjWYKGKuRMuZP6Z62wDU8xxzT8ipARAv_XtXfmry6eA_Fb-v7Je6Dyuurt6rzsl29oYIq9vyWE3GjjpKSRK6c48tHdPJjVaFrkCKeoZqkYZBwt00V9rUrjaD4GePauY6EYrdQV4HY4AVcv16cSEdvzcU0zjGd-4aVIh5y2ebA4f_Gb60K5BYInBmGVvteKGfutv_jc4KN_NztQ8ANEXF4f1Yh3a6yUWqw29l4OlkoxQfZy3RpGr9pHGj0LliyKbi7ePdSTL7Ap_idAAE9n8Smf9knEzQxNGEE3EIg8XsZmmOg0ukk2NOK_LFayvUkaK5GEMz6mR3aku2DroCPOrwGaq_aXSZcoC8OuWuKsENDs0y_ytIZBvmuioAVhLNI59fAMb9PT1KFUeMztSRwt1O042tcycyAWbZJ9fgaCCTkHgS67tHv73kwK8SkcYPr21_VmCPiwn_pdkDc5UzcMxR_2oQAhaIReu5YG9-f5hy_vUeS6n8z3XTt9Nmnj_4gl3GoaiTBXGrkav6KW1jy9aSkRwUCcdMZAL8FJTD4=w659-h878-no

The roll I have is actually black not gray, same stuff I believe.

My butyl tape at work is all black as well. I’d try phoning around to local glass shops and see if they will sell you a roll. I can only buy it by the case

As on alternative to butyl tape you can use Dow corning 995. It is structural sealant. Stuff is amazing, and sticks to anything. Used to use this for all those marine lanterns you see on CCG buoys, and exceeded the engineering specs we had at the time for saltwater etc. When we sourced it was being used for installing windows. That butyl stuff degrades over time I find.

https://www.hitechglazing.com/ca/en...cone-structural-sealant/1175288/sku-SA995BLSG

I would use Butyl tape or you can get it in a tube, I have removed and resealed dozens of coast guard and navy boat windows. Butyl works very well and if in the future you need to redo it you can get it apart with out bending the frames. Lots of good sealants out there like sikaflex or 3M but you will never get it apart for future repairs, they have there place but not on windows. My 2 cents after trying to remove windows after they have been installed with the incorrect sealant and ordering new on the tax payers dime! Good luck with your repair TM.

Back