Rescue operation near Cape Flattery: Tuna troller presumed sunk

Article shouldn't have ran, poor journalism without confirming their story and claims. Having commercial fished 25 years ago in an old wooden boat that is out right now, a boat that is likely 75+ years old, it is scary. With so few shipwrights left and continued cost of safety equipment, it is pretty worrying. Pretty important lesson for sporties like me who sometimes head offshore or into weather hastily.

Undeniably tragic outcome.
We do not have all the facts, and probably never will.

I have been there, fishing on the Astronaut, scary as hell, never slept.
Fishing is different than most other jobs, you can't just say '**** it' and walk away.
It was to be Anthony's first commercial fishing trip, cut the kid some slack. I do not blame him for bailing, the method of his bailing is questionable.

The big issue is that the state of commercial fishing in BC sucks so bad (thanks DFO) that it makes the industry even more risky.
I do like that they went over their survival suits before leaving and did some maintenance on them, mark of a good skipper.

My condolences to the families left behind.
@SpringVelocity Please post up any fund to help kids etc.

I do like that they went over their survival suits before leaving and did some maintenance on them, mark of a good skipper.
If you read the article it was the inexperienced twins that checked the Survival suits

"The Dixons had tried on those suits before leaving Cowichan Bay.
“They were survival suits, but they were old. The seams were cracking, the glue was all dried up,” Raymond said. He recalled waxing the zippers, hoping it helped the next guys."
Not pointing fingers here just going by what the article says. As been said we will never know all the facts

I remember when I took my med A 1 course 20 years ago, we were in the Richmond wave pool and my partner jumped into the pool with his old survival suit on ( red one) he was the class clown super funny guy, so some were still putting their suits on and my partner starts splashing in the water “ help I’m sinking “ we all laugh he does it again we laugh again, then he looks me in the eye straight faced “ no I’m f ing sinking” so I jump in help him back to the edge of the pool couple of guys help him out of the suit. He gets out of the suit. We found out later that the internal liner deteriorated and the foam sucked the pool water up. It weigh about thirty pounds more than a dry one of the same brand. It was so funny he then goes to me don’t say anything to his wife but I think I’ll give her this survival suit for Christmas. We all went out and did a group buy on mustang one after a guy in the class had one a we like the functionality of it.

Courage to intervene, not courage to sneak off in the night.....speaking up, no matter the job, can, and does save lives.

So true..but at 19 the crap i did not knowing, would never do now at 55..
Thats where we pass on our experiences and knowledge to younger generation

Back