Rescue off Port Hardy

These guys are so lucky its crazy. Someone made a near fatal mistake of deciding to go out on the water in a storm with high winds and big seas. Im not sure of the area but could this have been a fish farm boat? The fact they were taking waves over the bow big enough to take out their windows tells you everything you need to know here. They should never have been out there in the first place and the first few waves over the front should have been enough for the captain to turn around. At least they had time to put on proper life jackets otherwise this would be a very different ending. This story is all to familiar to those that work on the water. Huge respect to those that came to the rescue of these guys too.
All of what you said plus how do windows get plugged in, unless they are rubber insert, by a 2 meter wave? I'd say the boat wasn't up to snuff either. This is just an example of why I cringe when I see the rubber insert windows

Kudos to the CCG team that saved these people, they are true heroes. Sounds like they deployed in a Zodiac 753 which does not have a lot of free deck space in calm conditions, never mind when plucking four souls out of the water in a winter storm. Very few people can say they directly saved somebody's life, but this crew can.

Kudos to the CCG team that saved these people, they are true heroes. Sounds like they deployed in a Zodiac 753 which does not have a lot of free deck space in calm conditions, never mind when plucking four souls out of the water in a winter storm. Very few people can say they directly saved somebody's life, but this crew can.
Have to agree. I don't know what sort of awards, commendations, medals etc. the Cost Guard has, but these guys deserve something.

These guys are so lucky its crazy. Someone made a near fatal mistake of deciding to go out on the water in a storm with high winds and big seas. Im not sure of the area but could this have been a fish farm boat? The fact they were taking waves over the bow big enough to take out their windows tells you everything you need to know here. They should never have been out there in the first place and the first few waves over the front should have been enough for the captain to turn around. At least they had time to put on proper life jackets otherwise this would be a very different ending. This story is all to familiar to those that work on the water. Huge respect to those that came to the rescue of these guys too.
TOTALLY why in the first place ere they out in that stuff and that late at night ... total lack of respect for the condtions, you have to ask yourself is it worth it!!! really dumb mistake

View attachment 101774
Our Mustang vests have tether points so are suitable for assisting in retrieval. More common with sailors.
Yes, these have the capacity to lift, but the lifting point is low, around the belly button, it is a difficult angle to lift unresponsive 'dead' weight.
We would do full wet drills, on a nice day, to experience these situations. Then re-arm and repack safety equipment for the commercial season.
I am now thinking I should do same with family and offshore fishing friends.
Good thread.

they where very close to the window of death. you basically have ten minutes to get your heart and breathing under control. if you can roll up in a ball and still be head buoyant, you will be lucky to live past the first hour. extremities rendered useless first, then organs.

This sounds similar to what it's like when you are swept into an avalanche, provided you survive any potential blunt force impact. Make a space in front of your face as best you can to try and buy time until the probe jams you in the butt so you don't suffocate within 20 mins. After that, borrowed time...sorry for the ptsd derail. These guys are lucky af, must have been wearing survival suits

I've been kicking around getting these for a while.

Both a light and AIS transmitter. AIS receivers aren't very common on recreational boats, but any commercial or coastguard vessels will get the signal. They get folded inside an inflatable PFD and transmit automatically when the PFD inflates.

This is a great deal on them, as it comes with a class B+ transceiver.

Both a light and AIS transmitter. AIS receivers aren't very common on recreational boats, but any commercial or coastguard vessels will get the signal. They get folded inside an inflatable PFD and transmit automatically when the PFD inflates.

Pretty interesting so if two people go overboard there will be three ais signals?

I went with a handheld with dsc and gps. Do you figure it comes close to the poor man’s AIS? It has a strobe as a bonus

Wonder what agency’s are responsible for the investigation, transport Canada? wcb?

I had been thinking about buying some type of PLB for our life jackets /flotation suits.

This latest rescue has managed to motivate me.

In the Long Distance Motorcycle community when something new came up that a bunch of us wanted, we would often organize a group buy and usually get a reasonable/substantial discount off retail.

If something like this appeals to the group perhaps a few of us could manage a group buy.

Now doing the group buy requires complete financial transparency so that there are never any questions later. (i.e the organizers pay the same price as everyone else and there are no special deals)

Of course the nice folks who run this forum will need to give their ok.

I have seen these types of group buys where folks need to be Forum members (i.e. crew members) to be part of the deal.

Someone could still buy stuff for their pals (under the table as they say) but this is a small community and from my time here people seem to hold each other to a pretty high standard. Retailers generally don't have an issue with these things if their work is minimized and they can sell a reasonable amount of product with little work.

If the Forum staff want to take this on, all the better.

If this has the approval of the Mods perhaps we could do a poll to see who might want to participate. I expect that the more units sold the larger the discount.

Here is the model Flashman posted up

Comments, thoughts?

I had been thinking about buying some type of PLB for our life jackets /flotation suits.

In the Long Distance Motorcycle community when something new came up that a bunch of us wanted, we would often organize a group buy and usually get a reasonable/substantial discount off retail.

If something like this appeals to the group perhaps a few of us could manage a group buy.

Now doing the group buy requires complete financial transparency so that there are never any questions later. (i.e the organizers pay the same price as everyone else and there are no special deals)

I have seen these types of group buys where folks need to be Forum members (i.e. crew members) to be part of the deal.

Someone could still buy stuff for their pals (under the table as they say) but this is a small community and from my time here people seem to hold each other to a pretty high standard. Retailers generally don't have an issue with these things if their work is minimized and they can sell a reasonable amount of product with little work.

If this has the approval of the Mods perhaps we could do a poll to see who might want to participate. I expect that the more units sold the larger the discount.

Comments, thoughts?

I'm interested. Are these the same units? I'm wondering why this one is $140 cheaper than the majority of other prices I'm seeing out there:

Comments, thoughts?
I could be into that

TOTALLY why in the first place ere they out in that stuff and that late at night ... total lack of respect for the condtions, you have to ask yourself is it worth it!!! really dumb mistake
Likely because they were just trying to get home from work... Im sure they have done it without incident countless times. As someone who has spent many years living and working on the water, I have to admit I have pushed things a little when the urge to get home kicks in.

CR Greg

I'm interested. Are these the same units? I'm wondering why this one is $140 cheaper than the majority of other prices I'm seeing out there:

Different unit. The one you posted the link for, the EDF1, is only a fancy flashing light. It does not have any transmitting functions.

The one I was referring to, the MOB1, transmits an AIS signal and has a small flashing light on it.

Comments, thoughts?

I would be interested if the savings are decent. I'm not in a position to organize it though. I would probably be up for 2-3 units.

Pretty interesting so if two people go overboard there will be three ais signals?

I went with a handheld with dsc and gps. Do you figure it comes close to the poor man’s AIS? It has a strobe as a bonus

Each unit would be it's own AIS signal. Two people in the water wearing them would be two signals. If the boat had an AIS transceiver that would be a third signal. These things work independently of the boat having a transceiver.

DSC distress calls are pretty similar to AIS from what I understand. All GPS enabled DSC radios will be sent the GPS coordinates of the distress call. One thing I'm not sure of is if the radio making the distress call will continue to transmit the distress signal after the little red button is activated or if it's a one time transmission.

For what it's worth handheld VHF's are good for about 2 miles, maybe 2.5 on DSC as it gets slightly better range than voice VHF signals. The AIS units should be good for about 5 miles max.

Each unit would be it's own AIS signal. Two people in the water wearing them would be two signals. If the boat had an AIS transceiver that would be a third signal. These things work independently of the boat having a transceiver.

DSC distress calls are pretty similar to AIS from what I understand. All GPS enabled DSC radios will be sent the GPS coordinates of the distress call. One thing I'm not sure of is if the radio making the distress call will continue to transmit the distress signal after the little red button is activated or if it's a one time transmission.

For what it's worth handheld VHF's are good for about 2 miles, maybe 2.5 on DSC as it gets slightly better range than voice VHF signals. The AIS units should be good for about 5 miles max.
Do you think coast guard can pick them up from long distance?

Do you think coast guard can pick them up from long distance?
I don't know. I would assume their relay network would pick up DSC distress calls if the transmitter was within range and notify their radio operators, but I'm speculating.

I don' think the AIS units send out a distress specific signal. They do have a man overboard device specific MMSI number though, so kind of a distress specific signal. From the manufacturers website FAQ:

"All AIS and DSC MOBs are pre programmed at the time of manufacture with the self identification MMSI number. In the case of the rescueME MOB1, or the M100, this number will always start 97260—-. The 972 identities the device as an MOB device and the 60 identifies the device as manufactured by Ocean Signal."

Back