repower advice

Island Fish Lifter

Guys, I need reliable power. Im not too impressed with my Suzukis, I worry about the dirty cocksuckers everytime Im out after the one let me down twice. Should I completely rebuild them.. which I can do myself, or replace both with new Yamahas, one new 350 Yamaha which Id have to remodify my transom, or buy one spare suzuki to rotate into the pair every year rebuilding the one in the winter?

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I personally would rebuild them, being as it would probably in the long run be a lot cheaper then buying new ones. If you are up to being the mechanic then go for it.

Twin Optimax's. I have 2 boats with twins. Both have around 2000 hrs with no major failures and great fuel economy.

I'm a Suzuki fan....dropped the twin 225 Yami's with 200 hours when I got my new boat. Suzies are easier to repair, less corrosion issues etc. You may want to talk to your dealer to see if they are bringing back the gime 6 program...six year warranty usually offered in December or January to promote boat show sales. Hard to beat.

Searun

th_067.jpg

I guess it would come down to the amount of cash it would take to repower compared to rebuild. Definitely cheaper to rebuild since you would do it yourself.

Leasing seems to be popular these days since outboards are so fn expensive.

Reel Chaos

I would always opt for the spare option if you can afford it and id you depend on having the boat available with little or no down time. Waiting for parts for any brand is a killer when crap happens during the summer!!

quote:Originally posted by profisher

I would always opt for the spare option if you can afford it and id you depend on having the boat available with little or no down time. Waiting for parts for any brand is a killer when crap happens during the summer!!

Yea, good call.. I was kind of leaning in that direction.. Ill also have a spare bottom end if needed.. I look forward to meeting you someday. Dave,.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

At the end of the day, can you rebuild a 4 stroke outboard economicly? I mean, rings, bearings and gasgkets are fine, but what about all of the other crap on it? I almost think you are better off to sell a set of runners and buy new.

What kind of problems are you having? I know you had a head gasket? YOu are not the only guy running the Suzi V-6's that I know to have that problem.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Two head gaskets on the same engine and I may have another on its way out. I may decide to tear it down and resurface the deck and the heads.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Seen the same issue here in the local shop...it took 3 trys to finally stop a water leak from the head. The factory finally ok'd a gasket sealer compound. I agree with the mechanic and think the head bolts are to far apart. They are much closer together on the other major Japanese engines. I still say a spare is always a good idea...I have a complete rebuilt spare and another complete dissembled engine in a tote for parts. Including the leg on the engine on the boat I have 4 legs on hand.

Back