Replacing Wiper Motor

SeaWolf

Does anyone have some insight in how to remove the Wiper Arm from the wiper motor? I have to replace the motor on my Campion 543 and I'm not quite sure how the arm comes off.

The motor shaft is splined and the arm has a small retainer tab that you have to move to allow it to release. They are usually salted on and I have found it easier to cut them off with a dremel cutting tool. Would be easier for ou as you don't have to worry about not damaging the motor shaft. I cut them off to put on new wiper arms when the springs were shot.

On mine, there's a little plastic doohickey (that's a nautical technical term) over the shaft at the base of the wiper blade that flips up. Under that is an allen set screw. Loosen that and you should be able to pry the wiper blade assembly straight up - unless, of course as profisher said it isn't too badly corroded.

Issues like this caused me to abandon wipers a while back. Liberal use of Rain-X rubbed into windshield each spring has made them unnecessary.

On mine, there's a little plastic doohickey (that's a nautical technical term) over the shaft at the base of the wiper blade that flips up. Under that is an allen set screw. Loosen that and you should be able to pry the wiper blade assembly straight up - unless, of course as profisher said it isn't too badly corroded.

X2 I have had mine off a number of times. Very simple job.

sly_karma
Do you know if the Rain-X is applied to the inside of the window does it help reduce the fogging up of the windshield on the inside?

My motor has the splined shaft with a set screw to lock it into place. Given salt exposure, you may need to use a small gear puller, coupled with some wd40 and a few hammer taps on the puller to get it off. This will remove your worst case scenario of a siezed arm.

When re attaching the wiper arm I slather the spline with electrical grease. Seems to reduce the effect of the salt water and makes the are easy to remove the next time around. Any grease would do I suppose. Other than that if they have not come off for a while they are a rash to get off. As FB states the correct pullers are just about the only way to go to avoid breaking things.

Thanks the base of the wiper arm did flip up and there were 2 set screws. After a generous amount of penetrating oil and letting it sit a couple of days, I was able to pry it off. Good info from everyone

Back